Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Promised Land  (Read 2544 times)

Jared

The Promised Land
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:09:46 pm »

Hello, my name is Jared.

Let me first congratulate you on the progress this Project has made so far. As a young Libertarian, I look forward with bright hopes that New Hampshire will become the new Paradise of the Freedom movement.

While it will be a while before I am old enough to move to the State itself, I'll be poking around here and making contributions wherever I can.

Now, a few questions:

1. Do you see the Project meeting the 20k goal within a reasonable time frame?

2. The FAQ guide states that when the 20k goal is met, the Project will dissolve. After the dissolution (yeah, yeah, it's kind of early to talk about it) will there be any remaining structure (such as a forum or organization)?

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re: The Promised Land
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:18:36 pm »

Define Reasonable.  With 7.5K already, and the First 1000 arriving by the end of 2008, do you consider 2010 a reasonable time frame?  2015?  The issue is the word 'reasonable', since it's clear that 20K is a large goal (too large and unneeded according to many, see my sig). There is plenty of other discussion on this topic, go forth and read it all.

2. The FAQ guide states that when the 20k goal is met, the Project will dissolve. After the dissolution (yeah, yeah, it's kind of early to talk about it) will there be any remaining structure (such as a forum or organization)?

Since there are already other forums and orgs right now, and those will continue to grow, likely not, beyond an archive for historical purposes.  (That's my personal opinion)

AlexLibman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:15:08 pm »

The 20K number should not be set in stone.  It's not what's most important here!

As a programmer, I've learned that actual results should be judged on their own, not strictly based on prior estimates that were made when a lot less was known.  Estimates need to be adjusted on regular basis.

And the actual results thus far have already been most inspiring!   :D

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:40:59 pm »

Hello, my name is Jared.

Hello.Jerry.

Let me first congratulate you on the progress this Project has made so far. As a young Libertarian, I look forward with bright hopes that New Hampshire will become the new Paradise of the Freedom movement.

We like to think so.

while it will be a while before I am old enough to move to the State itself, I'll be poking around here and making contributions wherever I can.

I assume that means you are in school
Now, a few questions:

Nobody except nay-saysayers cares anymore.  The rest of us aren't counting except when it's fun.  Jason originally thought that one activist was worth one thousand voters.  Turns out one activist is worth a hundred times that.
[

The present "organization" isn't all that organized.  Ask any member of the Board.

Several forums already going.  The goal is no organization.  What part of the word "anarchist" don't you understand?  Once the goal is reached, the Project is a success, and has no reasom to continue.  (Several sub-projects are available).  Perverts that we are, some former members of the Project will continue to socialize, eating and/or drinking together.  (Especially those of us planning to open restaurants).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:52:25 pm by Ward Griffiths »
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:02:47 pm »

The 20K number should not be set in stone.  It's not what's most important here!

As a programmer, I've learned that actual results should be judged on their own, not strictly based on prior estimates that were made when a lot less was known.  Estimates need to be adjusted on regular basis.

And the actual results thus far have already been most inspiring!   :D

Karma +1 to Alex

AlexLibman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 02:03:39 pm »

Would the Free State Project ever consider changing its motto from 20,000 People Can Make a Difference?

It's very visible on Wikipedia, for example, and may lead people to gauging the project by the sign-up count alone.

Jared

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:55:52 pm »

I see. Thanks for the replies!

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 04:32:05 pm »

Would the Free State Project ever consider changing its motto from 20,000 People Can Make a Difference?

It's very visible on Wikipedia, for example, and may lead people to gauging the project by the sign-up count alone.

While it's on wikipedia, I don't think I've _ever_ seen it much of anyplace else.

"Liberty in our Lifetime" is the motto of the FSP, so far as I know.

Someone fix it on Wikipedia please.
Pages: [1]   Go Up