Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the decision made?  (Read 3261 times)

ShadyG

• FSP Participant
  • Como se llama
Where is the decision made?
« on: July 03, 2003, 04:56:58 pm »

I suppose this varies from state to state, but do the money for and decisions about public schooling generally happen at a state, county, city, or other level?  I ask this because a statewide abolishion of public schools, while a noble cause, may prove too ambitious in the short term.  However, what about a public school-free town?  County?  Can a specific locale choose not to fund any public schools, and offer a corresponding decrease in property taxes?

As a homeschooling parent, I would love to live in an area that would attract other homeschoolers; and in which other schooled children are attending private schools, with which I can make private arrangements for participation in sports, arts, and other activities that may require either a group of students or specialized equipment.  With a significant number of homeschoolers around, there is bound to be a private school that offers such a la carte options.  Plus of course, I can then recover some of that wasted tax out of "schooling" and use it for education.
-- ShadyG

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Re:Where is the decision made?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 05:14:33 pm »

I’ve spoken to many in the FSP who want to tackle gov’t schooling first. Most don’t believe that abolishment is a realistic short-term goal.

I believe the percentage of parents in the FSP who homeschool is very high. There will be strength in numbers.
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 01:02:59 am »

Hi ShadyG-- following the public school money trail is a difficult task.  Public school systems  recieve money from state sources, like the legislature.  They receive money from the feds, funneled through the state government (usually through the OSPI or Dept of Ed).  They receive money through grants.  Grants can be applied for at every level-- state, district, individual school, individual classrooms/teachers.  the grants can come from private sources, government sources, a combination thereof, corporations.  Then there are the public/private partnerships, mentoring programs, Americorp, apprenticeship programs, the list goes on and on.  Think of the money trail being like a groups of wriggling earthworms all clumped together-- you try and tell where each starts and ends.  It is nearly impossible.  And each bit of money, for the most part,comes with some sort of regulation "strings" attached.

What you speak of-- a public school free town or district, would be an easier way to start, in some regards.  Part of starting it would require the money to be given back or refused.  Grants stopped.  Having an accountable budget and sticking to a budget.  Having s system where the administration is all accountable, instead of the parents/students/ and to a small extent the teacher.  No matter where this process begins, it will be a hard fought battle, because public schooling is not a matter of education but indoctrination.

sand

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 05:23:48 pm »

The public school systems has rum amuck! I and definately in favor of abolishing it. And to do it frist, is just fine with me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up