Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: When are you Moving?  (Read 63538 times)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: When are you Moving?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 06:23:39 pm »

We are just one of those radical idealists that are packing up and moving to where Liberty exists as a way of life and not just some tag line somewhere. You can bet though I'm going to be an activist though.
You'll find a dozen dozen people out here who meet exactly that description, myself included :)

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 08:17:18 am »

Anyone have any ideas where there is about 5 acres of land for farming?

You might want to look in areas where there are farmers markets. Deerfield has one every Friday in late summer/early fall.

I have seen one property for sale here that has a weird phone number on the sign. It seems to be an out of state number. I can check it out next grocery trip.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

LibertyforLife

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 10:09:09 pm »

Anyone have any ideas where there is about 5 acres of land for farming?

You might want to look in areas where there are farmers markets. Deerfield has one every Friday in late summer/early fall.

I have seen one property for sale here that has a weird phone number on the sign. It seems to be an out of state number. I can check it out next grocery trip.

Will do that.....thanks.
Live free or die!

Phil_in_Belgium

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 07:25:25 am »

LordMeteoroid- Where are you immigrating from?

Sweden... I just noticed I missed the greencard lottery. Damn! that was for 2008 so I suppose I can not make use of the lottery to immigrate before two years.

Personaly, I don't plan to get my greencard like this. I have friend that has been playing it for years and still did not win. There is 1 million legal immigrant in America every year and only 50 000 green cards. You better invest to open a buiseness or find a contractor in New hampsire.
Phil

aaronjgardner

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 05:46:43 pm »

I'm moving in June or late August, depending upon whether or not I am accepted as an intern at F.E.E.! I have a very broad idea of where I want to live, and no idea what my options are for work.  :-\

I would like the availability of farmers' markets, Traders Joe's or Whole Foods Markets and so far I've found that Trader Joe's doesn't really exist in New hampshire (as far as I've looked), but I've found a couple of markets in Nashua that deal in Indian ingredients.

I also have no idea what my expenses will be as I have not found a place to live yet. Once I do, I'll know what utilities are covered by my rent and which aren't.

My friend-girl and I are driving up to New Hampshire from Philadelphia on March 7th-9th to have a look around. Any ideas anyone? How's Keene? We intend to drive around between Manchester and Nashua at the very least.

Regards--

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 02:22:29 pm »

I would like the availability of farmers' markets, Traders Joe's or Whole Foods Markets and so far I've found that Trader Joe's doesn't really exist in New hampshire (as far as I've looked), but I've found a couple of markets in Nashua that deal in Indian ingredients.

According to their web site, Whole Foods has a store under development in Nashua.  Unfortunately, the closest Trader Joe's is across the Mass border in Tyngsborough (close to Nashua).

I remember when Trader Joe's was only in Southern California.  Most of the 80s, I lived within walking distance of one store or another, West L.A., then Culver City then Pasadena.  Surprised the hell out of me a decade back when I went for some training up in Cambridge Mass and found a Trader Joe's there.  Now there are a few around northern NJ, most of which are a pain in the ass to get to (the closest store is the biggest pain due to the "clever" ways they engineered traffic flow through Paramus).  (In a straight line, the closest store is in Manhattan, but there's no straight line route across the Hudson from here to there).

Whole Foods is the only place in north Jersey where I can find Twinings Lapsang Souchong tea or Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder.  It's also the only store around where the produce department labels fennel as fennel -- all of the other markets label it anise, which it isn't remotely related to.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

lloydbob1

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 03:20:45 pm »

I get near a trader Joes about once a month.  Went in once. not sure what the attraction is.

http://www.twiningsusa.com/

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »

I get near a trader Joes about once a month.  Went in once. not sure what the attraction is.

http://www.twiningsusa.com/
Well, while I feel some of the quality and a lot of the low prices have suffered somewhat from their transcontinental expansion, it's about the only chain on the east coast with decent affordable frozen Mexican food for those occasions when I don't feel like rolling my own.  They have a couple of types of salsa that I haven't seen anywhere else.  And they have real Dijon mustard manufactured in Dijon, France for a reasonable price, about the same as the pseudo-Dijon made in the States, not the massive markup of the gourmet shops.

Back in the old days when there were only a couple dozen stores scattered around SoCal, they often had spectacular deals on small lots of wines, beers and cheeses.  Those days are gone.  And several of my favorite items in their inventory have been discontinued, or maybe they just don't ship them to the east coast.
--

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

aaronjgardner

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 01:09:26 am »

My friend-girl shops almost exclusively at Trader Joe's. In SoCal they retain the right to sell alcohol in-store, and she says she will sometimes find great prices for interesting wines. Here in Philadelphia, people are too irresponsible to be allowed the privilege of buying wine in any-ol'-store. And I am really impractically situated with respect to our nearest Trader Joe's (it's in Center City) to go down there very often.

I think the main attraction is the "organic" stuff they sell. I've just recently begun considering organic foods as a practical source of nutrition or hygiene. But I hear that organically grown/raised foodstuffs are rather hard on the environment; taking more acreage to produce equivalent yields and producing more unhealthy/dirty runoff than standard methods. That's just what I've heard. And then there's the bit about no appreciable difference being found between organically raised foodstuffs and our standard, modern alternatives.

In keeping with the topic at hand I feel I should simply repeat - I'm moving to New Hampshire this summer.

And every day I move closer to my senior recital. I shall feel like Atlas, shrugging. So close. So close.

Toodles,
AJ

eightiesoid

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 05:49:45 pm »

That's great news about Whole Foods and Trader Joe's! In fact, my wife and I were wondering why they have not entered the New Hampshire market when we looked up their store locations. We love farmers' markets and autochthonous, locally produced food, too. I think that farmers' markets offer a convenient, efficient means of buying specialty produce and selling the surplus from a garden. I think it would be good for Free Staters to trade, barter, or sell amongst each other when practical and cut out the government's take. This would be especially good for those growing their own- they can focus on growing one crop and trading the surplus for another. Bartering is becoming popular nationwide and it can help to reduce the cost of living. Maybe have a Craig's List like forum for trading?

Whole Foods founder John Mackey is a Libertarian and wrote an interesting article in Liberty, June 2006, Vol. 20 No. 6 available at:

http://libertyunbound.com/archive/2006_06/mackey-winning.html 

Whole Foods is also near the top of the list of the "Best Places to Work" so, for the self employed or contracting like me, you can have your spouse bag groceries there and be covered with benefits!

Does the Trader Joes in Massachusetts sell wine? I stock up at the Virginia Trader Joe's. I read on one wine retailing website that New Hampshire charges 8% tax on mail order wine. I also make wine and roast coffee so I think I will be all set. Maybe I could barter the surplus.

Aaron- Congratulations on your pending internship at the Foundation for Economic Education.  I hope you get it. I attended their seminar on Economics and the Environment in November 1999 when I worked for the Competitive Enterprise Institute. It is true that Organic food is not necessarily good for the environment and health and it can even be worse. The issue is complicated, however. FEE has numerous articles about it and John Stossel did a show about the myth of organic foods in the summer of 2000. He explained that organic foods are not more nutritious and that organic techniques expose the consumer to more bacteria, including E. coli. OTH, the sterile environment of modern life is causing our immune systems to attack itself. There are many pros and cons and I believe that the organic movement is a good thing overall; oppening markets to all kinds of exotic products.

My enthusiasm for organic foods is from a gourmet perspective. I can really taste the difference in something that is fresh and grown using artisan methods. There are so many heirloom varieties and obscure vegetables and animal breeds that are loaded with flavour.  There is no comparison and the difference is hard to describe. It does cost more but, if it gets me to eat my veggies, then it is also good for my health. I admire the artistry in growing, producing, and preparing something using traditional techniques even if it is bad for the environment.   

Quantrill

• First 1000
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 01:32:41 pm »

UPDATE:   I am officially moving the last week of March!   I posted on another thread that I still need a place to stay in/near Manchester, but figured since this is the official "when are you moving thread"  I'd re-post here.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO NH!!!!!!!!!!!
 :D

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 03:16:12 pm »

Oh hell, you can't move before I do! :P

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 03:56:45 pm »

I'll be in New Hampshire in time for the Porcupine Festival. I moved out of my rental house in Missoula, Montana just before Christmas. I'm currently staying and working in Sacramento as part of a big western loop. Once back in Missoula in May or so, I'll hitch up my trailer and keep on going. What'll I do in New Hampshire? I'll wing it. Probably I'll start out as a volunteer on organic (yes, organic) farms (see www.wwoofusa.org and/or www.organicvolunteers.org) and see what happens. Our founding fathers didn't have jobs and houses lined up for them when they left Europe.

By the way, I wonder how many organic farms Stossel visited before he made the above claims. Sounds like organic horse manure to me.  ;)
 Rich

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 04:22:11 pm »

By the way, I wonder how many organic farms Stossel visited before he made the above claims. Sounds like organic horse manure to me.  ;)

Funny, almost every damn thing I eat is organic, except for water and salt.  Carbon compounds everywhere.  Why don't the "natural foods" types pick a less technical term for their pest-ridden products?
--

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 04:25:30 pm »

I'm big on unprocessed food, but not thrilled at most organics. Try this sometime - go a week without eating corn syrup. It's harder than you think. Even some "organic" bread has it.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 16   Go Up