Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: When are you Moving?  (Read 59723 times)

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
When are you Moving?
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:08:23 am »

Ok, now that we've got the First 1,000 ready, a question for those who aren't in NH now who signed the pledge:
When are you moving?
I don't have a date yet, myself, but I will move this year.  My house is on the market and I've been actively looking for jobs for about a month now.  I even found one in Portland, ME and if that's the closest I can get, well, I guess I'll be doing some serious commuting.  I hope that I can find a job in NH, though.  I've avoided MA because, well, it's Massachusetts.  I don't want to be at risk of being arrested for simply carrying a firearm in my car to defend myself (which I do whether it's "legal" or not these days).

If I don't find something by about August, I'll just grab my stuff and head up there and find a Wal-Mart or something because I'm coming, New Hampshire!
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
Re: When are you Moving?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

Moved to Keene 4 months ago!  8)
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:07:03 am »

By December 31, 2008.  :)

Actually, I'm hoping to move in the second half of this year.  I'm making the necessary improvements to my house to make it more salable, actively searching for real-estate in NH (including taking trips to scout locations and properties in person), and trying to convince my boss to let me telecommute for now.  I'm not sure when all the pieces will come together, but I'm trying to make it all happen this year.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:50:41 pm »

Nashua and it is a bit up in the air right now. I am planning for 3rd Quarter this year but it really depends how soon I am ready to turn the European reins of my operation over to someone else.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 03:03:58 pm »

90 days and counting.

eightiesoid

ASAP- We are Developing our Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:05:58 pm »

Glad you asked! Today, my wife and I are figuring out how to make it happen; that is our objective for the day. Originally, we were thinking Spring but, after a Christmas layoff and a new property tax assessment that adds more than $2000 to our tax bill every year, we have decided to accelerate our plan. We were planning to explore the area next week but we will forgo that and jump right in. I am moving up there as soon as I find a job (Freelance Technical Writing and Proposal Management) and have been targeting the market aggressively. When I have the interview (a couple weeks probably), then I will explore the area and the costs are tax deductible. I will probably get temporary housing while my wife ties up loose ends here. Then, she will follow. My former boss gave me some leads and might throw some small jobs my way as they become available. (Everyone raves about how beautiful and charming New Hampshire is yet I have never been there!) The tricky part is that we have some expenses that we must finance and we have to sell our old house (with the new assessment that screws thigns up) and buy a new one. The equity will theoretically lower our living expenses. We now have a huge to do list and a number of projects to maximize the return on our house as well as all the work involved in moving. We figure that it is best to jump right in and get it over with. Dragging it out will only make it more painful and delay our enjoyment of our new location. The sacrifices now will pay off many fold.

What does everyone think of this plan? Oh, where are you all moving and why are you moving there? We can only narrow it down to the Southeast since that's where the jobs are. My wife and I like nature and history and are seeking a house made of stone, like an English country house/cottage. Has anyone seen a house like this for sale?

Thanks! I will post more ideas as we flesh them out.

Andrew

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:39:17 pm »

Nashua
Excellent! We have some very committed people in Nashua (including a member of the FSP Board of Directors) but we need more to turn the tide of Statism that the Massachusetts people bring in. And it really is the case that a few dozen committed, active people have more effect than thousands & thousands of apathetic people only 30% of whom even vote!

lordmetroid

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 08:02:07 pm »

I find Nashua area to be looking great from a top-view perspective of google earth as well. I expect to move as soon as I can. First I need to investigate some in to immigration and probably will take at least until summer to obtain the degree I am doing at the moment.

I need to find a job and get myself somewhere to stay in nahsua area. These are all very dynamic time periods. So I have no idea what I can expect to be in New Hampshire. But one thing is for sure, I don't need to be alone in USA just because I immigrating. I do have family in New York after all.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 08:03:51 pm by lordmetroid »

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 05:53:13 pm »

Targeting spring '08...may drift a bit later than that.  Not sure where yet.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

purewater4u.com

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 07:26:33 pm »

This summer after school is out. Looking at moving aroung the Laconia area.

eightiesoid

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:56:34 pm »

Thanks, Ogre! I sent my resume in!

LordMeteoroid- Where are you immigrating from?

bruehound

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:04:50 pm »

We are tending to a family illness here in Illinois but we'll be in NH within 24 months and much sooner if we can. Despite its ups and downs, we really liked the Franklin area when we visited in Sept.. I will do more location scouting when I come out for the New Hampshire Liberty Forum. I hope to meet all of you there.
scott

lordmetroid

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:42:44 am »

LordMeteoroid- Where are you immigrating from?

Sweden... I just noticed I missed the greencard lottery. Damn! that was for 2008 so I suppose I can not make use of the lottery to immigrate before two years.

laney

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 10:43:09 am »

My apt lease expires on March 01.  So, I'm also 90 days and counting...  I live in Mass, now. So my landlord would probably give me a discount to stay an extra month which I might do to ease the transition (so maybe ~120 days rather than 90.).

I'm in South Boston (Southie) and this place is turning into a ghost town.  Property owners are offering 2 months free rent and negotiating prices to try and get people to move in. You don't even want to know what the people trying to sell their homes are having to do  ($100K price cuts, to start!)

The only residences that are full here are the homeless shelters, the public housing projects, and the parolee half way houses!  (Maybe that explains why they're trying to get me to pay 12.5% (!!!!  >:( ) State Income Tax on my stock option income (Yes really they want 1/8 of my money - funny they didn't take 1/8 of the risk or do 1/8 of the work!)).

Everything is just empty... the restaurants, the library, the Churches. There's hardly any one else in their 30's-40's left in this neighborhood - only retired people and kids in their 20's who don't know better. The Irish-Americans are leaving this neighborhood in droves to get away from the shelter/assistance people. The only businesses ever full in this neighborhood are the bars.  ;D

I'm starting to really look forward to leaving.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Up