Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: computer calling?  (Read 61228 times)

nobanana

Re: computer calling?
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2006, 05:11:14 pm »

I'm perfectly willing to give him a break, but I have a real problem with computers calling me and tying up my line.  I can't even disconnect.  This is why I came here and asked about it. 

Whether you are listening to a live person or a recording of a live person, the phone system works the same. It takes a couple seconds, not anywhere near 30, for your phone company to terminate the connection.

Not true.  I can hang up on a robot call, pick up 15 seconds later, and it's STILL connected.

Maybe where you live it's better, but not everywhere does it work as you describe.

nobanana

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2006, 05:17:45 pm »

Making a mistake is fine, but when she and I tried to talk about it here, we were both attacked on it.  No one said "gee, it might have been a mistake to do this", instead it came across as "what? We have every right to bug the crap out of you since you gave us your number!  Get forked if you don't like it."

I am pretty sure no one here would have "attacked" Elizabeth if her "complaint" was not full of bile and profanity. You cannot expect anyone to take someone like that seriously.

Her first post used the word "Holy f**k" and called the robotcalls bullshit.  She didn't call the FSP full of bullshit.  She didn't make any personal attacks on people here.  Big Fucking Deal.

There was no reason not to take her seriously.  It was quite obvious she was merely angry about the robotcalls.

There was no reason at all to make personal attacks on her or call her names as some folks did.   People here showed the personal maturity of 8 year olds that have just had their hotdog day cancelled.

More accurately, people here showed the identical reaction as True Believers of the day's religion when their revered leader is criticized.

Soundwave

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2006, 05:24:02 pm »

Sorry, I don't have a leader. Elizabeth was nasty from the start, and that makes her seem like a bitch to some.  *Yawn* - Elizabeth's husband for sure.
-Julia

nobanana

« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2006, 05:26:57 pm »

You've got to be kidding me. What is so offensive about getting a phone call from someone you provided your phone number to?

If answering the telephone a couple of times gets those last few sign-ups for the first 1000, why are you not happy about it?

I am going to apologize for the malfunction which made the message cut off early halfway through on Thursday night. That was my bad.

On a personal level, I am rather offended that someone would get so bent out of shape over the few seconds they were inconvenienced by trying to get the last few signers at the very last minute, when someone else incurred the expense of money and time to retool their hardware and software to make all of those contacts possible.

I didn't provide my phone number expecting to get robot called.  If you want to call me, don't have your secretary contact me and put me on hold.  Don't send me a voice mail telling me to call you.  And don't robot call me.  Especially don't REPEATEDLY call me.

It's partly a matter of respect for my time.  If you robot call me, you are telling me that my time is worth nothing to you, because you are willing to waste it and force me to listen to a robot caller.  It's intrusive and worse than email spam.

I find it interesting that you get "offended" that someone else has gotten offended about something.  Tell me, do you get mad at others for others getting mad at you?  That's a technique used by some folk to try to turn the tables.  They do something wrong, and end up getting the victim to apologize.

Someone else spent all their time and expense to retool their systems to make the robot calls possible?  Oh, why didn't you say so?  How could I have been so wrong to object?

Who cares?   How does someone's expense and time justify doing something offensive?  You're really reaching to try to find some way to justify the fsp's actions, aren't you?  Sign of a True Believer.

nobanana

« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2006, 05:29:45 pm »

I'm perfectly willing to give him a break, but I have a real problem with computers calling me and tying up my line.  I can't even disconnect.

Talk with your phone company.  I have no trouble disconnecting robo calls.

That's hardly an excuse for making robot calls.

Soundwave

• Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2006, 05:37:33 pm »

There is no need to make excuses because not everyone is angry about the robot calls. You have expressed your feelings on here and I'm sure they have been taken into consideration by those who care. You can't please everyone. The robot calls were an attempt to reach as many people as possible in a short amount of time. If you are so upset about 2 calls that it would deter you from moving, then you probably weren't going to do much when you got here anyway. You continue crying about it, and I'll celebrate the fact that the F1k was successful.

-Julia

nobanana

« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2006, 05:39:55 pm »

I'm not going to STEP UP in response to a highly objectionable intrusive voice email.  I find your statement pretty craptastic, actually.
I find you to be pretty sad.  Is this Elizabeth's husband?

I find you to be mildly retarded.  Was it caused by lack of oxygen or was it a mutation?

No, I have never met Elizabeth.  Can't you accept that more than one family might have a problem with robot calls?

I came here politely asking about the guy and this technique, asking please not to use it, and you respond by telling me off for not stepping up to the plate and jumping to sign up after a thing like that?
I was noting that most FSPers didn't volunteer to make the calls, and doubting that you were one of the few who did.  Seems to me all you've done is complain.

I came here and posted politely, at least initially.  After that, YOU immediately jumped on my ass and attacked for no reason.

All you've given me is reason to complain.

Can you not consider that YOU are the problem?  You could have ignored me.  You could have done what others have done and actually FOCUSED on my post.

Instead you acted like a total turd and simply turned it into a question of whether I'm a True Believer or not as well.

Did I "Step Up" and volunteer?  Did I donate money?  Did I sign the first 1000 or even the first 20k?

Those questions are entirely irrelevent to the thread and my post, but you can't understand that because you want to make the question to be about whether or not I'm a true believer!

The question here is whether robot calling is acceptable or not.  MOST people on this thread are discussing THAT.  YOU'VE got a bug up your arse to find out whether I'm going to volunteer my time or money, or whether I'm going to pull out of the effort.

You're a complete true believing twit.

I'm frankly disappointed.  I hope the rest of the first 1000 aren't as generous of spirit as you are.
*yawn*  I hope the rest of our members aren't as uppity as you and Elizabeth are.  Rest assured you'll be replaced if you decide to leave.   ;D

I'm uppity because I object to robot calls and got bashed for my troubles?  Thus speaks the attitude of a True Believer.

"if I decide to leave".   Do you even read what you write?

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »

It's partly a matter of respect for my time.

Seems to me you've got plenty of free time.  You've been posting your rants here all day long.  Don't you have something important to do Mr. Time Challenged?   ::)
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

nobanana

« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2006, 05:43:28 pm »

Sorry, but I thought one of the tenets of libertarianism wasn't "the ends justify the means".  In fact, that is one of the biggest problems I have with the major parties.  They do anything they have to do to succeed, regardless of whether it's right.

It's "wrong" to call with a recorded message from another FSP member who gives you his personal cel phone number and an open invitation to call him?  You've got problems, sir.

I consider robot calling wrong.  I came here politely asking about it.  People here then immediately bashed me.

Regardless of whether robot calling is wrong, the people who have attacked Elizabeth and myself have shown themselves to be wrong for choosing to attack rather than discuss it.

Twit.

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2006, 05:49:09 pm »

Can you not consider that YOU are the problem?
I'd consider it, but then I'd remember that my show is the #1 recruiter for the FSP.

Did I "Step Up" and volunteer?  Did I donate money?  Did I sign the first 1000 or even the first 20k?

Those questions are entirely irrelevent to the thread and my post, but you can't understand that because you want to make the question to be about whether or not I'm a true believer!
I don't know and don't care what you have and haven't done.  I was just jumping down your throat because you deserve it, considering the way you came in here bitching about a call from a fellow FSP member who cared enough to do what it took to get in touch with as many FSPers as possible.

The question here is whether robot calling is acceptable or not.  MOST people on this thread are discussing THAT.  YOU'VE got a bug up your arse to find out whether I'm going to volunteer my time or money, or whether I'm going to pull out of the effort.
As stated above, I don't give a flip what you do.

You're a complete true believing twit.
Believing in what?

nobanana

« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2006, 05:53:05 pm »

It's far more of a stretch to imagine a group of fsp volunteers selling lists of fsp member phone numbers than a telemarketing company doing so.  I could be wrong.  Do you find that fsp volunteers generally sell phone lists to third party companies?

It's one thing to trust your number to a small group of supposedly trustworthy volunteers than to trust your number to a third party telemarketing company.  I would consider telemarketing companies, and robot calling companies specifically, among the dregs of industry.  What other industry makes their money based on how intrusive they can be to people at home?

Not a LOT of other industries take money from customers expressly to contact people at home, while they are eating dinner or relaxing, simply because that's the best time to reach them.

For the record, I am not a telemarketing company. I am just a FSP volunteer who happens to be in a financial services industry, and who happens to have alot of equipment hanging around to service my customers.

As has been pointed out, this was the first time I have ever tried to use my system to launch this kind of campaign, which was why alot of people ended up getting a truncated message before the full one. Again, sorry. Believe me, it was a very expensive mistake. Take comfort that I was severely punished for the error.

I do not believe in "telemarketing" or "spamming" people. What I do believe in is getting valuable information into the hands of my customers when I believe they will find it useful and they have consented to be contacted by telephone.

In my industry, the overwhelming majority of customers prefer to deal with automated systems - recordings, interactive voice response, etc. There are a few, such as we have met here in this thread, who clearly do not prefer such interaction. To them, all we can say is, "Sorry, we will mark your number to no longer call."

Well, I appreciate that you aren't making personal attacks on me here.

It's not a matter of preferring to deal with automated systems.  I don't mind getting into a voice mail system if I initiate the call.  What I don't like is receiving a call from an automated system.

I don't like getting automated calls from anyone, regardless of whether it's merely a message or whether it's a system telling me "press one to talk to a representative about your mortgage" only to find out that it's someone trying to refinance me.

The telemarketing industry has been steadily moving towards voice mail systems.  I'm seeing more and more robot calls.  If your company is doing robot calls to customers or even thinking about doing it, please don't.  You will see a backlash from your customers if you do it, regardless of what your marketing department tells you.

Right now they might be legal, but every time I get one of these things I want to find the systems in question and take a sledgehammer to them.

About the only good thing these things will do is eventually force everyone to own a home voice mail system to block these things.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2006, 05:53:19 pm »

Can anyone explain to me how a voice message is different from a regular mailing> No you can't cause there isn't a fundemental difference. If you get a letter you toss it if you don't want it, and with a voice message you just delete it if you don't want to listen.

Voice messages COST ME money - they take up minutes on my phone plan.

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2006, 05:54:05 pm »

By the way, who are you nobanana?  (If you're not Elizabeth's husband.)

nobanana

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2006, 05:54:22 pm »

It's not like the phone calls are made on a regular basis; this was a final push for the F1k. I'm glad Mark was successful. 

We only shot the victim once.  What's he complaining about?

That comparison is just absurd.

The comparison is extreme to ridicule the argument.  It doesn't make something ok to do just because it succeeded.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »

It's not like the phone calls are made on a regular basis; this was a final push for the F1k. I'm glad Mark was successful. 

We only shot the victim once.  What's he complaining about?

LOL  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up