Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: computer calling?  (Read 62931 times)

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re: computer calling?
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2006, 12:39:16 am »

Lloyd rocks.   ;D

Sure, if "I know you are but what am I?" playground humor rocks.   ::)

It's easy to copy and paste - look, even Lloyd can do it!  It's harder to address real questions and issues about poorly handled privacy concerns, people paid to get signups, and program organizers who no longer wish to associate with the badly handled campaign.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2006, 12:40:17 am »

This critique is amusing because Elizabeth's posts are filled with grammar errors.

Feel free to point them out to me.  Or, you know, add something productive to the discussion.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2006, 12:45:56 am »

I really do have a nearly infinite amount of patience.  But I'm with citizen_142002 -- it's time to ignore the trolls and get back to work.  I'm going to call my brother and try and talk him into signing one more time.  And no, no one is "paying" me to do it, nor did I purchase his phone number.

And that's exactly how it ought to be.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2006, 12:47:55 am »

however craven.

Craven indeed.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  Are you so desperate that you have to resort to robocalling, and then namecalling in the forums?

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2006, 01:05:02 am »

Good grief, I leave the house this morning and come back tonight to a whole explosion.

I am the person who is ultimately responsible for making the decision to call and 'robocall' people in the hopes of achieving the First 1000 goal. 

The handling of the FSP's data has been accomplished by people who I have checked out.  For example, I have spoken to Mark Edge on the phone countless times over the last several days (probably over a dozen, maybe two).  I have also spoke to Jason on the phone in the process of evaluating whether we should take advantage of his offer to perform the 'robocalls'. 

No data was ever sold.  Assertions that data was sold were made exclusively out of ignorance.

Prior to paid phone callers, we operated a volunteer phone bank for several weeks.  All of those volunteers were checked out to do the program by me and instructed specifically as to how to handle the data.  I have met many of them personally (including Mark and Ian whose houses I could walk to from mine).  Though the volunteer phone bank was highly successful and I'm confident we wouldn't have succeeded without it, it was not enough to get us over the top.

So, yes, we stooped so low that, at this very moment, there are 1007 people signed up (8 over the target).  That's *after* we removed a bunch of duplicates and quite a distressing number of fraudulent signups. 

Having said that, I stand by my assertion that the FSP needs to change it's course in order to achieve the goal of a Free State in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property.  For more on some ideas I have presented which I believe will improve the FSP, please see here:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=12925.msg165698#msg165698

I have done my best to ensure that the First 1000 pledge was conducted honestly and ethically.  Subject to that, I have done my best to help everyone who has worked on the First 1000 project see to its success.  I believe we've done the best we can and the pledge, maybe miraculously, has exceeded 1000 signers. 

If the prevailing view is that doing our best to ensure honesty, ethical behavior, *and* success is bad, I shall pass the baton to someone with different ideas at once.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

nobanana

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2006, 01:11:20 am »

I would be surprised if it was a computer call... probably he screwed up and called you twice by accident.
I accidentally called a person on my list twice, fortunately they were good-natured about it.

Cut Mark a break... he's been making *hundreds* of phone calls over the past few days, trying to get just a few dozen more F1K signers

I'm perfectly willing to give him a break, but I have a real problem with computers calling me and tying up my line.  I can't even disconnect.  This is why I came here and asked about it.  The republicans were using this as a political tactic just to drive voters away from the democrats by pretending to be the dems.  You know how people can hate those things.

At least, I believe it was a computer calling.  The call hit my phone and a recorded message (identical to the first one) is played.  How is that not a computer call?

I don't mind callers but I hate automated callers.  It's basically intrusive voice junk mail.  You may only imagine how much I really hate it's use.

nobanana

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2006, 01:14:38 am »

Ok, I'm all for the fsp, and I'm seriously considering joining the 20k people who will move to NH, but what's with the computer callers calling people up to convince them to sign up for the first 1000?

Computer calls seriously tick people off, especially repeated computer calls.  It creates ill will.  It seriously bugs me anyway.

Someome calling themselves Mark Ets (or Mark Ecks, or Narkets maybe) claiming to represent the free state project and the first 1000 has computer called me both yesterday and today.  (941-356-3562)

Could it be some group trying to block the fsp?  Just before the midterm elections, the republican party ran a series of computer calls pretending to be the democrats just to tick off voters who were on the fence.

Mark, if you are on this site, please don't call people this way.  Aside from generating ill will, you also risk someone trying to disconnect your computer because they need to make an emergency call.

For the few people who will be offended, it's well worth it.  Fact is, we don't have enough volunteers to make 5,000 real calls.  I doubt you stepped up, as most people have not.  Congrats to Mark for taking the initiative and making this happen!

I'm not going to STEP UP in response to a highly objectionable intrusive voice email.  I find your statement pretty craptastic, actually.

I came here politely asking about the guy and this technique, asking please not to use it, and you respond by telling me off for not stepping up to the plate and jumping to sign up after a thing like that?

I'm frankly disappointed.  I hope the rest of the first 1000 aren't as generous of spirit as you are.

nobanana

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2006, 01:20:48 am »

She almost seems upset we're succeeding without her.   ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, succeeding, right.

You're going to get to that 20,000 - um, when?  With real signup numbers, please?

Nobody in New Hampshire gives a damn about 20,000, Elizabeth.  The ~175 who beat me to NH were all the incentive I needed, and I've done more actual winning here in 7 months (read about the Joel Winters campaign?) than I could have imagined in 10 years if I'd stayed in Kentucky.  Our lives are better here, and we feel like we're doing our part for the future of human liberty.  And we are being effective.  If that sounds like failure to you, crawl back into your cave.

I can see the fsp isn't what I'd hoped it would be.

Basically you're saying the organization will stoop to any levels it wants in order to do what it needs and to hell with anyone who objects.

Sorry, but I thought one of the tenets of libertarianism wasn't "the ends justify the means".  In fact, that is one of the biggest problems I have with the major parties.  They do anything they have to do to succeed, regardless of whether it's right.

When an organization begins to look to itself as more important than it's members, is when it's become an organization not worthy of it's members.

lloydbob1

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2006, 01:22:14 am »

Lloyd rocks.   ;D

Sure, if "I know you are but what am I?" playground humor rocks.   ::)

It's easy to copy and paste - look, even Lloyd can do it!  It's harder to address real questions and issues about poorly handled privacy concerns, people paid to get signups, and program organizers who no longer wish to associate with the badly handled campaign.

Kudos  to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP.

nobanana

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2006, 01:23:38 am »

When I joined the Yahoo group and asked for some phone numbers,  Sandy replied that all of the phone numbers had been distributed.

Am I to now understand that there are still phone calls to be made?  Are there 2 groups making calls?  The pledge is almost over.  But, if there are still participants that have not been called, let us know.  Post Mark's contact info here.  Some of us may have time to make some calls today or tomorrow.

941-356-3562 cel  mark@freetalklive.com

The original call set that Sandy had was the people who had said they'd move within 2 years.  Mark is in charge of calling everyone else.  I'm sure he'd appreciate your call.

I never signed up for moving at all, even for the first 20k.  His call was designed to get me to sign up to be one of the first 1000.

lloydbob1

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2006, 01:23:51 am »

This critique is amusing because Elizabeth's posts are filled with grammar errors.

Feel free to point them out to me.  Or, you know, add something productive to the discussion.

Kudos  to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP.

Soundwave

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2006, 01:24:51 am »

"So, yes, you sold my number.  To a robocall spammer.  Who can't even use his equipment correctly."

"To a robocall spammer." is an incomplete sentence. "Who can't even use his equipment correctly." is also an incomplete sentence. Looks like someone forgot their comma rules! Normally I wouldn't point something out like that, because it's unnecessary, and not particularly nice either, but when you made that comment, which I read in a snotty fashion, I couldn't help myself.

My comment was simple and in regards to something that was said because I didn't feel like arguing with you. I think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Playground humor or not, Lloyd made a joke, and I thought it was funny.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:27:03 am by Soundwave »
-Julia

lloydbob1

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2006, 01:25:02 am »

I really do have a nearly infinite amount of patience.  But I'm with citizen_142002 -- it's time to ignore the trolls and get back to work.  I'm going to call my brother and try and talk him into signing one more time.  And no, no one is "paying" me to do it, nor did I purchase his phone number.

And that's exactly how it ought to be.

Kudos  to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP.

lloydbob1

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2006, 01:25:37 am »

however craven.

Craven indeed.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  Are you so desperate that you have to resort to robocalling, and then namecalling in the forums?

Kudos  to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP.

nobanana

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2006, 01:26:06 am »

The computer calling is working. Not that everyone here seems to care if First 1000 works or not. I'm glad Mark took the intiative and I'd say that if F1K makes it, we'll have him to thank. If you give your phone number to the FSP, and expect that they'll never call you, then you're an idiot. Giving a phone number to an organization is tantamount to giving that organization permission to call you.

Calling would have been fine.  Repeated robotcalls are not.

I give out my number to my bank, but if they started repeatedly robot calling me every other day to sell me another service, I'd quickly find a different bank.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up