Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: computer calling?  (Read 56796 times)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re: computer calling?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2006, 04:17:09 pm »

I made lots and lots of calls.  I called pretty much every Free Stater in MA, and made a couple dozen (mostly disconnected numbers) calls for Mark's program while on vacation here in Florida, even though I have no intention of taking $ for anyone who signed up because I called.

jeanius

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2006, 04:30:29 pm »

My recollection on privacy issues is more in line with Elizabeth's.  And, of course, anyone's reaction to the calls (and emails, or snail mails) is in part a function of their sensitivity to privacy issues.  I value my privacy and protect it whenever I can.  When I was on the board, and especially when I was Secretary, I fought very hard to ensure that the information on the participant rolls was not open to subjective use.  I know a fair number of libertarians who also care about privacy, a large enough group to not ignore.  There were a series of checkboxes in recent times so that an SOI signer could indicate whether they wanted to be contacted by local groups, or receive news via email, etc.  Those were designed to protect people's privacy and let the individuals choose how, if at all, they wanted to be contacted.  However, it is possible that the current policy is to assume a positive for those people who were on the rolls before the checkboxes were implemented. 

I have to admit that I am also not a fan of robot calls.  It *is* spam.  I never listen to them when I do get them.  I don't know if I have received one FSP related because I would have hung up, or deleted the message, before getting any meaningful content. 

In other news, the First 1000 is scary close to succeeding right now.  I hope the numbers are mostly solid, true signups.

Jean
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 05:21:05 pm by Jean »

lloydbob1

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2006, 05:00:30 pm »

Holy f**K, this was annoying.

I'm really, REALLY angry about it.  Between me and my husband, we've gotten FOUR bullshit robotcalls.

I'm sorry to see the FSP has sunk this low.

Who wouldn't want to hear from another Porc?  Even twice the same week

Kudo's to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP, however craven.

lloydbob1

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2006, 05:01:23 pm »

To: info@freestateproject.org, vswearingen@freestateproject.org, scobb@freestateproject.org, jsorens@freestateproject.org, mstraus@freestateproject.org, bsullivan@freestateproject.org, jmaltz@freestateproject.org, spierre@freestateproject.org
Cc: Elizabeth McKinstry <emckinstry@gmail.com>
Date: Dec 30, 2006 12:23 PM
Subject: Robotcalls - REMOVE US FROM YOUR LIST

Dear Everyone -

I can't believe the FSP would stoop to something as annoying and
universally hated as robotcalls.

Between me and my husband, we have received FOUR calls in the last two days.

I don't know whom you gave our numbers to, but if it's outside the FSP
and a violation of the privacy policy, you can bet your ass I'm going
to make a complaint to the appropriate agency.

In the meantime, REMOVE OUR ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS FROM YOUR
MARKETING LISTS.

We keep up with what's going on with the FSP (i.e., nothing remotely
like what we pledged to), and we don't need your unsolicited mail in
our mailbox or our voicemail.

Nice job, folks.

With sincere anger,

Elizabeth McKinstry and [my husband]

Kudo's to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP, however craven.

lloydbob1

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:14 pm »

Robotcalls are spam.

I don't even know how the FSP *has* my husband's cell phone number.

When I signed up for the FSP, robotcalls would never have been considered.  *I* certainly never considered that providing a phone number would include getting robotcalls that cost ME money (since we are a wireless household, we don't have landlines).

Politicians who robotcall me don't get my vote.  Organizations that robotcall me don't get my money.  The FSP should be ashamed of itself.

lloydbob1

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:42 pm »

"Spam would occur if the FSP provided your number to the LP and they used the number to contact you."

As far as I'm concerned, privacy has been breached.  Who knows who has my phone number and address info now?  Sounds like lists have been distributed to everyone and their brother for this bullsh*t marketing push.

UNACCEPTABLE.

And don't you DARE accuse me of not giving time and energy to the FSP, you self-righteous little man.

lloydbob1

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2006, 05:03:04 pm »

She almost seems upset we're succeeding without her.   ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, succeeding, right.

You're going to get to that 20,000 - um, when?  With real signup numbers, please?

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2006, 05:03:19 pm »

Hey, more spam!  That's the spirit!

lloydbob1

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2006, 05:03:30 pm »

You've got to be kidding me.  The FSP asks people to turn over their lives, sell their homes, take their kids out of school, quit their jobs and establish it all over again in another state hundreds of miles away, and there's bitching about a 30 second phone call to the point of threatening to call the government in on it.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but if you're that miffed by something so minor, then your understanding of the FSP's mission and the gravity of what it asks has been knocked way out of perspective.

I know INTIMATELY what the FSP is asking.  I also take privacy VERY seriously, and therefore handing out my phone number to god knows who for spam calls is both unnecessary and offensive.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2006, 05:03:56 pm »

You've got to be kidding me.  The FSP asks people to turn over their lives, sell their homes, take their kids out of school, quit their jobs and establish it all over again in another state hundreds of miles away, and there's bitching about a 30 second phone call to the point of threatening to call the government in on it.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but if you're that miffed by something so minor, then your understanding of the FSP's mission and the gravity of what it asks has been knocked way out of perspective.

I know INTIMATELY what the FSP is asking.  I also take privacy VERY seriously, and therefore handing out my phone number to god knows who for spam calls is both unnecessary and offensive.

lloydbob1

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »

Nobody in New Hampshire gives a damn about 20,000, Elizabeth. 

That is the stated goal and purpose of the FSP.  If the FSP hasn't met it, and won't meet it, it's a failure.

You're happy in NH - great.  The FSP is still a failure.

Who wouldn't want to hear from another Porc?  Even twice the same week

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:17 pm »

Holy f**K, this was annoying.

I'm really, REALLY angry about it.  Between me and my husband, we've gotten FOUR bullshit robotcalls.

I'm sorry to see the FSP has sunk this low.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:34 pm »

To: info@freestateproject.org, vswearingen@freestateproject.org, scobb@freestateproject.org, jsorens@freestateproject.org, mstraus@freestateproject.org, bsullivan@freestateproject.org, jmaltz@freestateproject.org, spierre@freestateproject.org
Cc: Elizabeth McKinstry <emckinstry@gmail.com>
Date: Dec 30, 2006 12:23 PM
Subject: Robotcalls - REMOVE US FROM YOUR LIST

Dear Everyone -

I can't believe the FSP would stoop to something as annoying and
universally hated as robotcalls.

Between me and my husband, we have received FOUR calls in the last two days.

I don't know whom you gave our numbers to, but if it's outside the FSP
and a violation of the privacy policy, you can bet your ass I'm going
to make a complaint to the appropriate agency.

In the meantime, REMOVE OUR ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS FROM YOUR
MARKETING LISTS.

We keep up with what's going on with the FSP (i.e., nothing remotely
like what we pledged to), and we don't need your unsolicited mail in
our mailbox or our voicemail.

Nice job, folks.

With sincere anger,

Elizabeth McKinstry and [my husband]

lloydbob1

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:39 pm »

Let me also clarify - aside from the privacy breach, had a live person called, it wouldn't have been half as offensive.  Robotcalls are lazy, and they're spam.

Who wouldn't want to hear from another Porc?  Even twice the same week

lloydbob1

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2006, 05:05:05 pm »

Considering that within the first sentence of the call Mark (the guy who recorded the audio) gives out his personal CELL PHONE NUMBER, I don't think you can consider it spam.  Considering he invites the listener to call him personally for any reason, I don't think that's spam.

Considering that the first two calls came in as half-assed voicemail messages, with the beginning (and ends) cut off, that's not very helpful.

Considering that Nigerian princes invite me to email them, it's still spam.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up