Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: computer calling?  (Read 56841 times)

nobanana

computer calling?
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:57:34 pm »

Ok, I'm all for the fsp, and I'm seriously considering joining the 20k people who will move to NH, but what's with the computer callers calling people up to convince them to sign up for the first 1000?

Computer calls seriously tick people off, especially repeated computer calls.  It creates ill will.  It seriously bugs me anyway.

Someome calling themselves Mark Ets (or Mark Ecks, or Narkets maybe) claiming to represent the free state project and the first 1000 has computer called me both yesterday and today.  (941-356-3562)

Could it be some group trying to block the fsp?  Just before the midterm elections, the republican party ran a series of computer calls pretending to be the democrats just to tick off voters who were on the fence.

Mark, if you are on this site, please don't call people this way.  Aside from generating ill will, you also risk someone trying to disconnect your computer because they need to make an emergency call.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
Re: computer calling?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:32:42 pm »

Mark Edge is a real person, and he has the flu, so he sounds a little odd.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 12:26:19 am »

I would be surprised if it was a computer call... probably he screwed up and called you twice by accident.
I accidentally called a person on my list twice, fortunately they were good-natured about it.

Cut Mark a break... he's been making *hundreds* of phone calls over the past few days, trying to get just a few dozen more F1K signers

Power Penguin

• LG Coordinator / First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I know where (some of) you live!
    • Protect your property from theft!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:20:32 am »

I got it too I'm already F1K though someone should have filtered the call lists. I talked to Mark on the phone a couple of weeks ago about FTL advertising and he talked about it. We're at 930 right now with two days left. Keep the pressure on we're almost there!
Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:04:22 am »

Mark talked about it on Free Talk Live last night. Apparently there were some automated calls, but they had some technical problem and the message was cut off.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:52:05 am »

Ok, I'm all for the fsp, and I'm seriously considering joining the 20k people who will move to NH, but what's with the computer callers calling people up to convince them to sign up for the first 1000?

Computer calls seriously tick people off, especially repeated computer calls.  It creates ill will.  It seriously bugs me anyway.

Someome calling themselves Mark Ets (or Mark Ecks, or Narkets maybe) claiming to represent the free state project and the first 1000 has computer called me both yesterday and today.  (941-356-3562)

Could it be some group trying to block the fsp?  Just before the midterm elections, the republican party ran a series of computer calls pretending to be the democrats just to tick off voters who were on the fence.

Mark, if you are on this site, please don't call people this way.  Aside from generating ill will, you also risk someone trying to disconnect your computer because they need to make an emergency call.

For the few people who will be offended, it's well worth it.  Fact is, we don't have enough volunteers to make 5,000 real calls.  I doubt you stepped up, as most people have not.  Congrats to Mark for taking the initiative and making this happen!
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

bruehound

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 11:30:03 am »

As one who has been making hundreds of F1K phone calls, I can report the vast majority of people I have contacted have truly appreciated hearing from the FSP. It re-ignites the excitement they felt when they signed onto the project.

Regarding the use of automated phone messages-- there is a reason political campaigns use this communication technique cycle after cycle. If used deferentially, they are a very efficient and effective type of direct communication. We have a natural tendency to over-rely on electronic based communications but automated messages are proven to inspire action and are cost effective in the absence of volunteers.

I appreciate the opinions of those who find this type of call intrusive but we are only consuming a quick 20-30 seconds of an individual’s time and providing time-sensitive, actionable information.  Intentions are good.

A libertarian understanding of a market economy knows the world is driven by marginal activity. We are simply trying to capture those margins and meet a goal that will change the world.

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:40:24 am »

For the few people who will be offended, it's well worth it.  Fact is, we don't have enough volunteers to make 5,000 real calls.  I doubt you stepped up, as most people have not.  Congrats to Mark for taking the initiative and making this happen!

When I joined the Yahoo group and asked for some phone numbers,  Sandy replied that all of the phone numbers had been distributed.

Am I to now understand that there are still phone calls to be made?  Are there 2 groups making calls?  The pledge is almost over.  But, if there are still participants that have not been called, let us know.  Post Mark's contact info here.  Some of us may have time to make some calls today or tomorrow.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 11:53:22 am »

As one who has been making hundreds of F1K phone calls, I can report the vast majority of people I have contacted have truly appreciated hearing from the FSP. It re-ignites the excitement they felt when they signed onto the project.

Regarding the use of automated phone messages-- there is a reason political campaigns use this communication technique cycle after cycle. If used deferentially, they are a very efficient and effective type of direct communication. We have a natural tendency to over-rely on electronic based communications but automated messages are proven to inspire action and are cost effective in the absence of volunteers.

I appreciate the opinions of those who find this type of call intrusive but we are only consuming a quick 20-30 seconds of an individual’s time and providing time-sensitive, actionable information.  Intentions are good.

A libertarian understanding of a market economy knows the world is driven by marginal activity. We are simply trying to capture those margins and meet a goal that will change the world.

Who wouldn't want to hear from another Porc?  Even twice the same week ;D

Kudo's to all you guys and gals doing something to advance the FSP, however craven.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 12:15:42 pm »

Holy f**K, this was annoying.

I'm really, REALLY angry about it.  Between me and my husband, we've gotten FOUR bullshit robotcalls.

I'm sorry to see the FSP has sunk this low.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 12:25:14 pm »

To: info@freestateproject.org, vswearingen@freestateproject.org, scobb@freestateproject.org, jsorens@freestateproject.org, mstraus@freestateproject.org, bsullivan@freestateproject.org, jmaltz@freestateproject.org, spierre@freestateproject.org
Cc: Elizabeth McKinstry <emckinstry@gmail.com>
Date: Dec 30, 2006 12:23 PM
Subject: Robotcalls - REMOVE US FROM YOUR LIST

Dear Everyone -

I can't believe the FSP would stoop to something as annoying and
universally hated as robotcalls.

Between me and my husband, we have received FOUR calls in the last two days.

I don't know whom you gave our numbers to, but if it's outside the FSP
and a violation of the privacy policy, you can bet your ass I'm going
to make a complaint to the appropriate agency.

In the meantime, REMOVE OUR ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS FROM YOUR
MARKETING LISTS.

We keep up with what's going on with the FSP (i.e., nothing remotely
like what we pledged to), and we don't need your unsolicited mail in
our mailbox or our voicemail.

Nice job, folks.

With sincere anger,

Elizabeth McKinstry and [my husband]

MengerFan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 12:57:09 pm »

You've got to be kidding me. What is so offensive about getting a phone call from someone you provided your phone number to?

If answering the telephone a couple of times gets those last few sign-ups for the first 1000, why are you not happy about it?

I am going to apologize for the malfunction which made the message cut off early halfway through on Thursday night. That was my bad.

On a personal level, I am rather offended that someone would get so bent out of shape over the few seconds they were inconvenienced by trying to get the last few signers at the very last minute, when someone else incurred the expense of money and time to retool their hardware and software to make all of those contacts possible.

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 12:59:06 pm »

Elizabeth does have a point.  Using a robot to make calls is spam and should not be done.  However, everyone gets tons of spam and it a very small deal to most people.  Do I have a lower opinion of whoever led this happen, sure.  Do I really care, not really.  Will I forget about this in a few weeks, sure.

MengerFan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 01:08:13 pm »

Spam refers to unsolicited contact. If you provide your number to someone, and they use it to contact you, then it is not unsolicited.

Spam would occur if the FSP provided your number to the LP and they used the number to contact you.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 01:12:40 pm »

Robotcalls are spam.

I don't even know how the FSP *has* my husband's cell phone number.

When I signed up for the FSP, robotcalls would never have been considered.  *I* certainly never considered that providing a phone number would include getting robotcalls that cost ME money (since we are a wireless household, we don't have landlines).

Politicians who robotcall me don't get my vote.  Organizations that robotcall me don't get my money.  The FSP should be ashamed of itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up