Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nursing in NH  (Read 1464 times)

Crocuta

Nursing in NH
« on: December 24, 2006, 07:48:35 pm »

Hello folks!

I'll introduce myself in a couple of days (it's Christmas Eve and I'm heading out to get with the family) but I wanted to get this posted.  My wife and I have been giving some more than passing thought to joining the FSP, and I'm hoping there's someone out here that can give me an idea on some job market issues.  I've done some searching online and have a few answers, but there's nothing like info from ground zero.

I'm an emergency room Registered Nurse and I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea of the climate for nurses.  I know there's a nationwide nursing shortage, but I'm interested in hearing how nursing is viewed by NH society, the culture and reputation of any NH hospitals that you know of, and staffing issues.  If there are any ER RN's on these boards, I'd love to hear from you!

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Nursing in NH
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 11:24:46 pm »

I think that ER RNs make somewhere in he neighborhood of 25$/hr. Of course you can score overtime.
There are many nursing opportunities in New Hampshire. There are a fair number of nursing homes, so the geriatric field is always looking for people.

The hospitals are not overstaffed by any means. Dartmouth Medical center is a great facility. It's in Hanover  I think, either that or Lebanon. those towns are right next to each other.

Keene has a Dartmouth hospital branch, but it isn't nearly as big as the actual Dartmouth.

I believe that their is a Catholic hospital over in Manchester. I'm not sure of other major hospitals, although I assume that Portsmouth, Nashua, and Concord all have major facilities.

I personally know a lot of EMTs and some nurses. The health care available in New Hampshire is quite good. In terms of how New Hampshire culture views nurses, I'm not sure too many of us think about too often, but certainly I think it's great that we have good health care professionals in the state.

Crocuta

Re: Nursing in NH
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:31:36 pm »

Thanks for the response.  I've started a file and I'm collecting information on where the hosptials are, how big they are and population issues.  I far prefer to work for non-profit hospitals, since I believe more strongly in the mission of a hospital that isn't in it to make money for stockholders but I can live with the alternative if necessary.

Something I would be more interested in hearing about is the issue of unions.  Here in WA state, unions are quite strong and organized.  What is the overall union climate in NH (not just in healthcare)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up