Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gonna be moving  (Read 2869 times)

roland787

gonna be moving
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:20:33 pm »

im waiting for my cousin to graduate so than we can move from mich and get an apartment or something to make it easier to afford.  im only 19 and so i dont have much training in anything.

i was workin concrete construction for a few months and now i moved downstate and am currently workin at kmarts for now just to bring home a check.  figured if i make $7/hr ill be bringin home bout 200 or 250 a week if i work 40 hours.   im just wonderin if me and my cousin both get a job makin roughly the same amount if there r places in the Nahua area that we could afford.

just signed the pledge couple days ago and just waitin to be able to make the move.  any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

William H. Borah

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: gonna be moving
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 09:22:24 pm »

im waiting for my cousin to graduate so than we can move from mich and get an apartment or something to make it easier to afford.  im only 19 and so i dont have much training in anything.

i was workin concrete construction for a few months and now i moved downstate and am currently workin at kmarts for now just to bring home a check.  figured if i make $7/hr ill be bringin home bout 200 or 250 a week if i work 40 hours.   im just wonderin if me and my cousin both get a job makin roughly the same amount if there r places in the Nahua area that we could afford.

just signed the pledge couple days ago and just waitin to be able to make the move.  any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Welcome!

Did you both sign the First1000 pledge?
www.pledgebank.com/first1000

Also check on NHFREE.com for some job postings in Nashua that JUST went up within the past week.

roland787

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:26:43 pm »

we havent signed to first 1k pledge because he wont graduate until after '08.  But we have both signed the original pledge to move within after five years of reachin 20k, but we plan on movin much sooner than that, for we cant wait to move there for obvious reasons that we r all aware of.
The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

William H. Borah

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:25:26 am »

The construction industry is pretty strong in NH.  In a way it's seasonal -- most outdoor construction gets done in the summer with indoor finishing type work getting done in the winter.  I know a few people who work in that industry -- some try to work extra during the summer to earn enough to make it through the winter, while some work all year round, but you really have to line up the jobs in the summer for the winter.  So, assuming a typical graduation in the Spring, moving right away would work well.  I'd just suggest not moving in Nov-Jan and trying to get started in construction -- the market's pretty weak for newcomers during the winter.
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

roland787

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:36:20 am »

thank you for the info ogre.   i probably would be moving in summer anyways, because well....nobody likes moving in the cold.  trust me, its not fun or even remotely comfortable.  it barely falls under "tolerable".    but anyways, I'm not even sure if id wanna get back into the whole construction thing, because to be honest with you, i hated it.  only did it because i was upstate out in the boondocks and no other jobs available.

I'm not even sure what i want to get into.  but for now ill be happy to move there with just a job at Kmart or any other store or reg restaraunt (no fast food) to be able to get my foot in the door.  after that, I'm really lost on what i wanna do for a career, but thats my problem lol, and I'm sure ill figure something out.

if i have to tho, i could always go into construction.       on another note tho ogre, or anybody really who mite know,  are there any moving companies around, and who do a lot of hiring often?  it'd be great to be a mover for when all the fsp movers come swarming in the great state of NH and ill be one of the first people to greet them into their new state. ha ha wouldn't that be funny.

William H. Borah

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:55:55 am »

if i have to tho, i could always go into construction.       on another note tho ogre, or anybody really who mite know,  are there any moving companies around, and who do a lot of hiring often?  it'd be great to be a mover for when all the fsp movers come swarming in the great state of NH and ill be one of the first people to greet them into their new state. ha ha wouldn't that be funny.

yes there are moving companies  but I don't know if you would get much business from FSPers.... when a new person shows up we all VOLUNTEER to help move them in.... sometimes 2-3 people show up... sometimes 20 people show up.

roland787

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:59:32 pm »

o wow!  were wantin to move to Nashua but itd be nice to have some welcomers into the state. 

William H. Borah

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:30:28 pm »

Manchester is cheaper...

You can check out rents online, search for apartments or something similar.  There are also roommate sites, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=6729.0

This thread is also interesting, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=9226.0

roland787

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 06:35:12 am »

thank you, ill definitely be looking into all of it when were getting ready to move.   right now I'm just wanting to know that there are options for me to look into and help offered for when i need it because its a big move for me here.  finally be doing something worthwhile too and i just cant wait.

William H. Borah

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 09:07:33 am »

roland, you and your cousin can definitely survive in New Hampshire!  I know a couple of early movers who are in their early 20's and work retail, and haven't starved yet.  Retail jobs are always available.  I would suggest not signing a 1-year lease in Nashua right off the bat unless you find a really good, affordable deal.  You can rent a room in someone's house, or find one or two more people and sign a lease on a bigger apartment to make the per-room cost cheaper.  That'll give you time to get a feel for how much it costs running an air conditioner in the summer and a heater in the winter, and how food and gas prices here compare to where you are now. 

I think it would be awesome if some Free Staters started their own moving business.  It could be a side business; all you'd need is a box truck.  Not only are new people moving into NH all the time, but a lot of us move within state as we change jobs, buy houses, etc.  And almost everybody winds up renting a box truck for at least one day. 
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

Soundwave

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 02:38:02 pm »

When it gets closer to the move date, you may be able to land a job before you arrive. About a month before I was to move, I contacted the place I wanted to work via email and set up an interview. I started work the Monday after we arrived.
-Julia
Pages: [1]   Go Up