Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taxation and Voting Power  (Read 3757 times)

GnosticWarrior

Taxation and Voting Power
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:59:15 pm »

Hi,

I'm new here.  Don't know if I'm a true Libertarian but, Capitalist principles are in my core beliefs.  I think one of the problems with the U.S. Govt. is that there is no true taxation with representation.  I believe an individual's voting power should be directly correlated to their contributions in the funding of Govt. via taxes.  Thanks to the IRS, we know that it should not be hard to keep track of. 

Think about this way.  How successful would Berkshire Hathaway be if every shareholder had one vote regardless of the amount of shares they owned?  Maybe Warren Buffett would not be the current CEO and the company would be bankrupt by now?  I don't see how a Govt. could be efficiently run and an entity that individuals truly want to belong to unless there is true taxation with representation.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject and would like to know what others think.  Do you think the Free State Project would be a step in this direction?

Even with is flaws the U.S. is still the best country to live in IMHO.

-GnosticWarrior

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Taxation and Voting Power
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:44:15 pm »

Welcome! ;D

Do you think the Free State Project would be a step in this direction?

I think your idea is a step in the right direction, alongside the many other ideas on how to fix the system that FSP participants have. However, personally, I’d just as soon get rid of the Federal taxation régime (and the State and local ones) altogether. Let people who actually use the services the government provides pay for it, and let private entities provide the services instead.

I read somewhere that if we were to merely shrink the government down to the size it was in 2000, we could actually eliminate the Federal income tax entirely. (They pull in a lot more money through other taxes, tariffs, fees, and so on.)

GnosticWarrior

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »

Thanks for the welcome!

And your feed back.

Your views reminded me that the U.S. had no income tax before.  Maybe now is our time to learn how effective this policy change was in enhancing or degrading the freedoms we have.  I now have a clearer view as to how the FSP is a step in the right direction.  Don't think I could give up living in Hawaii for New Hampshire just yet though. ;D

Welcome! ;D

However, personally, I’d just as soon get rid of the Federal taxation régime (and the State and local ones) altogether. Let people who actually use the services the government provides pay for it, and let private entities provide the services instead.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:36:18 am »

I read somewhere that if we were to merely shrink the government down to the size it was in 2000, we could actually eliminate the Federal income tax entirely. (They pull in a lot more money through other taxes, tariffs, fees, and so on.)

???
Fiscal revenues for 2007 were $2568.2B... $1533.7B of that was Federal Income tax ($1163.5B Individual and $370.2B Corporate).

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:12:14 pm »

???
Fiscal revenues for 2007 were $2568.2B... $1533.7B of that was Federal Income tax ($1163.5B Individual and $370.2B Corporate).

Right—meaning $1034.5B (40.3%) came from other sources. According to this the FY00 budget estimate was $1765.7B, so I was off by a few years. It was probably back in the mid-90s that the government could use today’s revenues sans income tax to fund itself entirely.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »

1987 $1004.1B