Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Democrats sweep...  (Read 20864 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Democrats sweep...
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:26:10 am »

Those looking for bad news will complain that 'gee, the Democrats swept widely in NH... so much for the Free State.'

Those looking for the silver lining will note these facts:

1) This was NOT about local politics, this was a national sweepout of the GOP and it affected NH as well...
2) Joel Winters, a freestater, was elected, as a Democrat to the NH House.  Without the sweep, likely a few others might have been elected also, but _even_ with it, by having folks working on both sides of the aisle (plus those who run LP), we _still_ managed to elect the first of many movers to the State House.
3) The editor of the Union Leader says it all, and please note the last line.

http://blogs.unionleader.com/andrew-cline/?p=562

The nanny state begins
Tuesday November 07th 2006, 10:50 pm
Filed under: Blog Posts

On NHPR, Ray Buckley just said the Democrats would raise the minimum
wage, ban smoking in the public workplace, and deal with health care.

Perfect. On the most important issue facing New Hamsphire, education
funding, the spontaneous reaction of the vice-chairman of the
Democratic Party was to say nothing. Buckley is an old-fashioned
Democrat, John Lynch supposedly a new, more business-friendly
Democrat. But if Buckley's sense of his own party is correct and its
big issues are going to be regulating the private sector, the
supposedly moderate Lynch will have let the liberal genie out of the
bottle, as Lynch gets some credit for setting up these Democratic
victories.

We noted in an editorial that Lynch's promise to veto a sales or
income tax won't matter one bit if enough pro-taxers are elected to
the Legislature. They'll just over-ride his veto. If Democrats do take
the House, and they are the type of Democrats Ray Buckley thinks they
are, this scenario becomes much more likely.

Where are those Free Staters when you need them?

4) 2 Years from now, faced with the results of having a Democratically controlled State House, it's more than likely that fiscal conservatives will retake the state... All of that _during_ a national election cycle for president, with more FSPers than even involved, and the NHGOP seeking strong allies to do so... such as the libertarians they are already working with well now, and will likely embrace even more.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:27:01 am by SethCohn »

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
Re: Democrats sweep...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:34:06 am »

3) The editor of the Union Leader says it all, and please note the last line.

http://blogs.unionleader.com/andrew-cline/?p=562

Where are those Free Staters when you need them?

Gee, and just yesterday he was calling us "a completely dismal failure"::)

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:46:53 am »

I hear moving trucks nationwide starting up now.  ;D

Cathleen

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 09:37:49 am »

Did Democrats take both houses of the legislature? What about the executive council?

Edit: looks like it. Well, of course this was the fault of the damned federal Republicans, but that's not much comfort. Hello smoking ban, higher taxes, state minimum wage, & probably new gun control. Will NH still be the freest state in the country in two years?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:46:43 am by JasonPSorens »
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:46:40 am »

The Dems have the governor, the executive council, and the Senate. The Republicans still have the House.
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 09:47:33 am »

The Dems have the governor, the executive council, and the Senate. The Republicans still have the House.

Well, if that holds up, that will be good. Divided government should keep things steady for the next 2 years.

Edit: Hm, the Union Leader is claiming that the Democrats have a huge lead in the state house now too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:52:46 am by JasonPSorens »
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:08:03 am »

Did Democrats take both houses of the legislature? What about the executive council?

Edit: looks like it. Well, of course this was the fault of the damned federal Republicans, but that's not much comfort. Hello smoking ban, higher taxes, state minimum wage, & probably new gun control. Will NH still be the freest state in the country in two years?

The bigger problems elsewhere make NH look better all the time. Just look at Massachusetts. There ought to be a pot load of "wait and see" libertarians putting their house on the market after yesterdays results.

Cathleen

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:10 am »

Dems control the entire thing... and they will do a smoking ban, and other issues.  When (not if) they do, the backlash in 2 years will be a wave that FSPers will be part of...  The NH voters aren't going to like what they voted for in the light of morning, after the Iraq war issue is removed from the picture.

Expect that the NHGOP will rebuild itself with a strong FSP element involved.  Expect that the Democrats will be asked for a variety of libertarian things that no way would a GOP controlled legislature grant.  This is not the end of the world, folks.

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:34 am »

The bigger problems elsewhere make NH look better all the time. Just look at Massachusetts. There ought to be a pot load of "wait and see" libertarians putting their house on the market after yesterdays results.

Cathleen

I'm hoping that we will be able to give Deval Patrick a Golden Porcupine for his recruitment efforts, on our behalf, in running Massachusetts

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:36:38 am »

Expect that the NHGOP will rebuild itself with a strong FSP element involved.  Expect that the Democrats will be asked for a variety of libertarian things that no way would a GOP controlled legislature grant.  This is not the end of the world, folks.

Time will tell. If NH has become a Democratic state, Free Staters need to start running as Dems, and quickly. Joel Winters' success leads the way. We'll see what the landscape looks like in two years, but right now Kathleen Sullivan's gloating about how NH is finally the state she always dreamed of is turning my stomach.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 10:42:16 am »

Time will tell. If NH has become a Democratic state, Free Staters need to start running as Dems, and quickly. Joel Winters' success leads the way.

The groundwork is there, but I'll stick by my backlash predictions as well.  Being on both sides of the fence is the best strategy here.

We'll see what the landscape looks like in two years, but right now Kathleen Sullivan's gloating about how NH is finally the state she always dreamed of is turning my stomach.

Her dream is the average voter's nightmare... and they will soon learn that... the number of 'big' names who were voted out will be helping us to get that message out there now... instead of them being in power, they are now on the outside, and wanting helping to get back in.

Forastero

• It's like butter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:04:26 am »

Joel Winters is a free stater? Sweet, at least something good came out of this.
Yeah, freedom baby, I love it!

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 12:14:14 pm »

There will be no voter backlash if a smoking ban passes.  Most of the voters support this ban.  In fact, part of the reason some R lost is because they voted against the smoking ban.  But, if you are saying the D will increase taxes more than the current government of NH did and that will create a backlash, oh no!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 12:17:28 pm »

There will be no voter backlash if a smoking ban passes.  Most of the voters support this ban.  In fact, part of the reason some R lost is because they voted against the smoking ban.  But, if you are saying the D will increase taxes more than the current government of NH did and that will create a backlash, oh no!
I don't see a backlash about the smoking ban but I do see 3 things that will happen.
The GOP will have to get its act together in the next 2 years.
The DEMS may totally bone some things and people in NH (mostly IND) will be pissed and toss some of the DEMs out.
The early movers need to get their collective acts together and have a plan and strategy for 08.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:59 pm »

Oh yes.  I didn't mean the smoking ban would be _the_ reason for the backlash.  But combined with lots of other things they are already planning on, like a minimum wage increase, tax increases, seatbelts, etc... every one of these is a straw on the back of the voter who will wonder they voted the way they did last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

anything