Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to move, need help ...  (Read 4125 times)

jollyroger

Want to move, need help ...
« on: November 05, 2006, 01:48:33 am »

Hi all,

I have been aware of, and loosely following, the FSP since before the vote.  I believe that my first introduction was on Slashdot back in 2002:  http://slashdot.org/articles/02/10/21/1325228.shtml

Until recently I have always regarded the project as little more than wishful thinking.  That has changed; mostly as a result of me recommending the site to someone with similar beliefs and observing their reaction.   I am reminded of my initial enthusiasm.  That person caught the bug, and my interest has been rekindled.

We want to move, and we want to do it as soon as possible.  As soon as possible is very dependent on the academic calendars of my children.  I will not move them mid-year.

As always, there is a catch.  That person is not my wife, and I will not go without my wife.  "That person" will not go without my daughter, who is 7, and is therefore stuck with me.  (This is getting silly.  "That person" is my mom.  Not sure if she actively reads the forum or not, but, if so, "Hi mom." /me waves to mom.)

So the campaign to convince my wife began.  The difficulty is that "free state" ideals hold little sway with her, so we must focus on the merits of NH without regard to political climate.  It is not that she is diametrically opposed;  it is that she is ambivalent. 

All hope is not lost.  She is attracted to the diversity of the natural environment.  The mountains, ocean, and forest are all pluses.  She is a northern girl, so the cold winters and snow do not frighten her.  The fine art offerings in Boston certainly help.  We have even begun to identify educational opportunities for our children (daughter 7, son 4, son 2) that appear to match those they have locally (top prospect so far from web research:  http://www.berwickacademy.org).

The good news is that my wife loves to move and desires to leave the mid-west.  She has enough interest in moving to NH that she has agreed to vacation there (our first since our daughter was born in 1999!) with me next spring or early summer to evaluate our options.  Neither of us have been to this region of the country before.  The closest we have come is Pittsburgh, where she has family.

On to my request (Yes, I am sorry, I am always this long winded).  I am no salesman and need help closing the deal.  Our requirements, in rough order of importance:

*  excellent education opportunities for our children.  (we are not teachers, homeschooling is not an option.  Berwick is the only thing in its class we have found so far.)
*  employment opportunities for me initially.  I work in IT and have experience with large scale identity management for a very large multi-national.  I live and breathe LDAP.
*  decent education opportunities for ourselves.  (both undergrad:  her - finance, me - comp sci)
*  reasonable housing.  I like the central location (Manchester, Nashua, Boston, Portsmouth, Portland ME) of Portsmouth but the prices seem high.
*  social opportunities for the wife.  I can deal without, but from reading the forums don't think that I would have to.

So ... anyone want to help?  If I can solve the "Bonnie Problem", I bring with me my mom (who likely would be active - she wants to sign the first 1000 pledge) and probably my brother as well (who would at least vote our way).  My wife wouldn't be involved, but wouldn't be against us either.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: Want to move, need help ...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 07:46:45 am »

Well, if you choose early Summer, the Porcupine Freedom Festival is scheduled for June 18-24 at the Gunstock Recreation Area in Gilford.  Aside from having a fairly central base camp to explore the state from, you can meet  some of the varieties of folk in the FSP and among the local activist community.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:08:35 am »

excellent education opportunities for our children.  (we are not teachers, homeschooling is not an option.  Berwick is the only thing in its class we have found so far.
Not to nitpick here, but technically you don't have to be a teacher to homeschool :)
 but in anycase, NH does have a high number of well known private schools, such as Exeter Academy and I know there are some more. Here is a pretty inclusive list

employment opportunities for me initially.  I work in IT and have experience with large scale identity management for a very large multi-national.  I live and breathe LDAP
Lucky for you, IT is in pretty high demand right now in the New Hampshire area. By "area" I mean there's a good chance you'll find a job in New Hampshire or Massachussetts, but there are a lot of people who live in NH and commute to Mass.

Other htan that, I can't say I know much about housing or whether or not it's reasonable up here. I'm just renting a room right now, but apparently a 1-bedroom aparment is about $650 a month. Not entirely sure what houses themselves cost, but this can be rather difficult to search for online anyway. This is probably best examined when you and your wife make it up to NH :)

As for social opportunities, they abound! At least, they abound with other FSP members. We've had a lot of parties and get togethers that are always fun. Other than that, Manchester does have nightlife if your wife is interested with plenty of bars, clubs, etc.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:57:16 am »

So the campaign to convince my wife began.  The difficulty is that "free state" ideals hold little sway with her, so we must focus on the merits of NH without regard to political climate.  It is not that she is diametrically opposed;  it is that she is ambivalent. 

The LibertyLadies is a good place to start: they are social, for the most not political, and specifically geared to introduce wives to a social circles showing them that NH is a great place to live.  My wife has more friends than she ever did before, and the same is true of many other women involved, from what I understand.  Make sure your visit includes some social time for her.  PorcFest, as mentioned will be a great time to meet lots of other movers... plenty of people leave convinced solely on the caliber of the people they meet who have moved already.

*  excellent education opportunities for our children.  (we are not teachers, homeschooling is not an option.  Berwick is the only thing in its class we have found so far.)

Despite the homeschooling/anti-government schooling bias visible here (and elsewhere), there are FSPers with kids in public school.
As mentioned, there are private schools as well.  There are lots of options, you'll have to find what works best for you and your kids.

*  employment opportunities for me initially.  I work in IT and have experience with large scale identity management for a very large multi-national.  I live and breathe LDAP.

You will likely find something then.

*  decent education opportunities for ourselves.  (both undergrad:  her - finance, me - comp sci)

Dartmouth, UNH, Boston schools, plenty of options out there.

*  reasonable housing.  I like the central location (Manchester, Nashua, Boston, Portsmouth, Portland ME) of Portsmouth but the prices seem high.

Housing is likely getting a bit cheaper right now, but yes, it's not inexpensive either.  The closer to the areas you list, the more expensive it will be...

*  social opportunities for the wife.  I can deal without, but from reading the forums don't think that I would have to.

See above.  There are _plenty_ of women she can talk to, to answer her questions, and assure her that the move is a good thing, that she won't be alone, nor even the only wife feeling as she does.

So ... anyone want to help?  If I can solve the "Bonnie Problem", I bring with me my mom (who likely would be active - she wants to sign the first 1000 pledge) and probably my brother as well (who would at least vote our way).  My wife wouldn't be involved, but wouldn't be against us either.

Let us know if anyone has any questions... and tell your mom to sign the F1K pledge now!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:21:20 pm »

Welcome Jolly.

You can sign First1000 as well ;D (as can your brother). (and they can all join the FSP and you can become a Golden Porcupine)

I made the move a year ago with wife (she was not thrilled about it) and 2 kids.  Forgetting all the political stuff.... it was the best move I have ever made.

There are good schools in NH.
Housing.... depends on the area and what you are looking for.
IT... lots of IT geeks already moved.... and there are jobs in NH and Northern MA. 
Social opp for the wife... yes there are.

FreeBoB

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 02:24:02 pm »

jollyroger -

I have helped a few spouses convince their unenthusiastic spouses based upon the relative merits of NH. I don't know what state you live in, but you can do state vs. state research and lay it out for her to read through - like my signature (below) but with links. NH really is very impressive, especially when children are considered.

Start here in the NH Information Center: http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/Overview.php

Here's a great one to sell the benefits for your kids! http://www.aecf.org/kidscount/sld/summary/summary4.jsp

There are many resources for NH private schools - a Google search produces lists!

Email me if I can help.

Brian 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:25:36 pm by Brian Sullivan »

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:20:20 pm »

NH is a great place to live and it was the best move for us as well. I also have more friends here than I ever had elsewhere. One reason is that NH is full of individualistic, unpretentious people. I immediately felt comfortable and accepted.

I am sorry your wife is ambivalent about freedom issues. That can be a bigger problem than just where to live.

Cathleen

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 10:15:09 pm »

For your wife's benefit, I would advise stressing the community of support available in NH, the homeschooling resources available, the low crime rate, and the fact that Morgan Quitno Press has rated New Hampshire the best place in America to raise children.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jollyroger

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:23:45 am »

All,

I must say, you guys (and gals) are amazing!  I thought I might get a reply or two, but the response is far beyond my expectations.  I don't want you to think that I am ignoring your responses, just trying to digest all of the good information.

I am still (second night in a row) going through the responses and trying to put together some responses / further requests.  I just want you to know that I appreciate all of your help and haven't disappeared.

Oh yeah, I guess I kind of regret the handle I chose.  Especially after seeing Dreepa's greeting...  Now that we have kind of met, my name is James.

s01

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:47:15 am »

Speaking just from a wife point of view...my husband was ecstatic about the prospect of moving to NH (Live free or die - YEAH!). Me, ...not so much.
HOWEVER, I will say this about THAT- I did keep an open mind and considered it. I reviewed ratings, went to the bookstore and read about NH (pictures ALWAYS help), checked out City-data reviews, checked crime stats, cost of living, etc. I don't just leap into something I haven't checked out or don't know about (hence even more research on FSP). After reviewing all of that, and KNOWING I don't do well in the cold (I figure a couple dozen coats should do...), I found the thought..exciting. Especially to discover so many like-minded individuals.
So now I have eased off of my practicality a bit, and am as excited as a kid the day before school....er something like that.
I figure it's the wife's job to keep the husbands feet on the ground...so I gotta do my job :) Plus it's a huge change...
At any rate- I am certain some of these folks will give you great information on the colleges etc. (another thing I did was check out all the college websites for the colleges there in NH- GREAT stuff!)
Anyhow- good luck and I am certain that you will find a plethora of information 'round these parts.
 8)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 01:16:05 pm »

Since you live in the Midwest, I can assure you that NH is more exciting and better looking than where you live. :)
I recommend kidnapping. ;D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 04:21:35 am »

It's an exciting plunge!  ;D

I had been wondering how to propose the move to my wife. We were discussing our options, should my employer close down the aging rickety location where I currently work. We looked at the various sites throughout this region, dismissing them all, and then I casually tossed out, "Well, they're going to build a new facility in New Hampshire..."

She: "Are you serious? When can we move?"

And that was all it took for me, from Arkansas, and she, from Iowa/Louisiana, to decide that we were moving. A vacation in NH in June 2006 for ShortyFest/PorcFest really clinched the deal.

Once you read the information at the main FSP pages, and if you visit the state, you're going to be hooked.

Next step: welcome "home".  ;D

Kevin

suebee88

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:10:36 pm »

I couldn't resist jumping in here about homeschooling.  I have been homeschooling my 10-year-old son through a fully-accredited California-based internet school for about 2 years now, and I LOVE IT!!!  www.laurelsprings.com

My husband and I had a lot of fear about pulling our son out of private school.  What we feared most was that if we screwed it up that there was no where else we could point the finger.  The one thing we feared most was the one thing that has been the most empowering, and that is taking complete responsibility for our son's education.

I refuse to accept mediocrity in anything, particularly when it comes to my son.  People often tell me that I'm brave for homeschooling my kid, or that they couldn't handle it.  What I hear most often is people complementing me on how polite and articulate my son is, which is what I take pride in most.  People find his politeness a refreshing novelty, which I find terribly sad and tragic.  It's not easy raising a decent human being, but it's even more complicated to do so in an environment where social engineering and thought control is the status quo.  The principal of his former school fell out of her chair when she saw him being interviewed by the local news at a protest on the Capitol steps, and gave me a severe tongue lashing about it at school the next day.  I'll be damned if my son should grow up being told what to think and say, which is why there is no place for him in a traditional educational setting.

You don't have to be an educator, or even have a background in education to take responsibility for your child's education.  In fact, YOU are the most qualified individual to decide the what, when, where, how, and why of your child's education.  The people in charge of educating our children aren't interested in teaching them the things they should know to make a life for themselves, but rather a sinister, globalist agenda that is inherently engineered to destroy everything good about America.

I guess you can't tell that I have a very jaded, contemptuous view of public education, can you.....   ;)

I am rather biased when it comes to homeschooling, though.  It is a very personal lifestyle choice for you and your family, and concede that it is something that isn't for everyone.  But if you hate being tied to someone else's calendar and timetable for your kids, homeschooling is something I highly recommend you look into.  If it's any consolation, I've never talked to anyone who has regretted or resented the decision to homeschool their kids.

JM2¢,
Sue in Austin
Pages: [1]   Go Up