three years
- 2 (4.9%)
don't know, yet
- 7 (17.1%)
never
- 1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you a member planning on moving?  (Read 4753 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Are you a member planning on moving?
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:14:27 pm »

If you are considering moving, why not consider moving sooner.  NH is awesome.  Move now.

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

paulfife

Re: Are you a member planning on moving?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:35:11 pm »

I signed up as a friend because I'm not ready to commit yet. The cost of living difference between my current home state (Oklahoma) and NH is pretty shocking. It's mostly about home values and how I'm currently a homeowner here and don't feel comfortable owning a home with less than 20% equity. I'd have to be a renter again given that my current equity plus savings would leave me well short of that amount for several years. I know there are cheaper areas to live in NH than the busy cities I have been looking around (mostly Nashua), but that seems to be where the jobs are in my field for the most part. I'm a software developer.

I used to live further north so I have no objections to the weather like many do. NH does sound awesome in many respects.

Lagwolf

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:41:28 pm »

Hopefully you will see us there in 2007 autumn time. Now all I got to do is get a job in NH.

eques

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 03:51:46 pm »

I'm moving this weekend.  Do I select "already here" or "one year," or do I just wait a week? ;)

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 06:56:05 pm »

I signed up as a friend because I'm not ready to commit yet. The cost of living difference between my current home state (Oklahoma) and NH is pretty shocking. It's mostly about home values and how I'm currently a homeowner here and don't feel comfortable owning a home with less than 20% equity.
Hi! As a Jayhawker to an Okie, I have to say that it's not really that bad...I'm not a homeowner or anything, but the cost of living here isn't all that different. Gas is more expensive, housing is more expensive, it costs more to register my car, but I don't have to pay an income tax or a sales tax, so yippee!
And real estate is rather difficult to gauge by looking online. Anything in Nashua is going to be expensive because of where it is. Cities (such as Manchester) are also going to be expensive. Add to that the fact that the houses in the bad parts of the neighborhood and the repos are never ever going to be listed online, and you get a pretty skewed image.
I don't know how close Kansas compares to Oklahoma, but the Cost of Living is only 4% higher in New Hampshire compared with Kansas.

Obviously you have to wait for the time that's right for you, but I'm getting lonely for another person from my neck of the woods to move out here   :'(
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

FreeBoB

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 07:47:26 pm »

I'm moving as soon as I can sell my property here. I think I'm going to take it off the market in a few weeks, fix it up further this Winter, and hit the big Spring selling season!  Given a Spring or early Summer sale, that would place me in New Hampshire shortly thereafter! 

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:34:14 pm »

See this topic to find lots of things you are missing on here in NH.  Events happening every week...parties and fun times as well as serious work to done.  It's at the point where there is almost too much going on... you just can't keep up.

Think about that for a second: where you live now, are things happening so fast and so much that you can't even stay on top of it all?
Are pro-liberty meetings in your town/city/state pulling in 25 people?  50 people?  They do here... all the time.  And it's not the _same_ 25 people either... or even the same 50 people.

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:15:06 am »

I'll be moving in the summer or fall of 2007.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

thefreedompatriot

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 07:41:29 pm »

When my commitment to the Army is over I plan on making the move, granted I can find a job as a Lab Tech.  ETS date March '09 should be there shortly afterward.

Forastero

• It's like butter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:46:47 pm »

I signed up as a friend because I'm not ready to commit yet. The cost of living difference between my current home state (Oklahoma) and NH is pretty shocking. It's mostly about home values and how I'm currently a homeowner here and don't feel comfortable owning a home with less than 20% equity.
Hi! As a Jayhawker to an Okie, I have to say that it's not really that bad...I'm not a homeowner or anything, but the cost of living here isn't all that different. Gas is more expensive, housing is more expensive, it costs more to register my car, but I don't have to pay an income tax or a sales tax, so yippee!
And real estate is rather difficult to gauge by looking online. Anything in Nashua is going to be expensive because of where it is. Cities (such as Manchester) are also going to be expensive. Add to that the fact that the houses in the bad parts of the neighborhood and the repos are never ever going to be listed online, and you get a pretty skewed image.
I don't know how close Kansas compares to Oklahoma, but the Cost of Living is only 4% higher in New Hampshire compared with Kansas.

Obviously you have to wait for the time that's right for you, but I'm getting lonely for another person from my neck of the woods to move out here   :'(

Ah a fellow Kansan huh? Cool  8)
Yeah, freedom baby, I love it!

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:45:51 pm »

Ah a fellow Kansan huh? Cool
Hey, you! You must be one of the other 42 kansans to sign up....so why aren't you out here yet??
Seeing as you're in Lawrence, I'll assume it has something to do with "university" or "studying" or more acurately, partying :P

Hurry up and get out here. It should only take you 30 hours since you live a lot closer than I did! (I'm from Wichita)
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Xtopher

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:34:28 pm »

If you are considering moving, why not consider moving sooner.  NH is awesome.  Move now.

--Max
If it were monetarily possible and my gf and myself were both instantly secured jobs and a place to live, we'd be there already.

As Kramer said when George asked him how soon he'd be leaving for California: "In my mind, I'm already there."

Hopefully, we'll be there by the end of summer '07. We may have to move to Boston (from Queens) for a while (long story).

Ear

• First 1000
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 01:44:05 pm »

I live in sunny Southern California, where real estate prices might fool one into thinking that all the houses are made of cunningly cut diamond, sitting on soil that is mostly gold nuggets.  I've been out of the country (teaching English in China) for most of the last six years, so I'm really scandalized by the rise in prices here.  Recently I took a look at an unfurnished house for rent... it was absolutely ghetto, with two miserably tiny bedrooms and a very ungenerous bathroom, a yard the size of a postage stamp, and a leaky-looking roof.  The kitchen was nothing but a room with a sink in it, no oven, no range, nothing to cook on.  Bare wires hung out of the walls all over the place.  The place had a garage, but it wasn't included, as the landlord wanted to keep her stuff in it.  I was informed that any repairs would be the responsibility of the tenant.  This crappy little domicile was situated within earshot of a major Los Angeles freeway, where the din of cars and trucks is constant.  They wanted $1500 a month for it!

My wife is pregnant at the moment, and we'll be having the baby in March or April.  We have pretty good medical coverage that is only good in the Western States, so we'll be staying until then... you'll be seeing our smiling faces in New Hampshire around May of 2007, come Hell or high water.

s01

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 02:17:30 pm »

Will be there as soon as the house (er..condo) sells. VERY slow market at the moment...
So....WE'RE WORKING ON IT!! :) Very excited but also a little leary that I'm making more of it then it will be...so far my impression is that the people are fantastic! ;D
Anyone know someone who wants a condo in Tampa Florida? LOL*

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 06:41:20 am »

I'll be moving in the summer or fall of 2007.
I am just catching up on this thread. I wonder if any of these people ended up moving when they thought.

Here is the next one:

"When my commitment to the Army is over I plan on making the move, granted I can find a job as a Lab Tech.  ETS date March '09 should be there shortly afterward."

and "Hopefully, we'll be there by the end of summer '07. "

and "you'll be seeing our smiling faces in New Hampshire around May of 2007, come Hell or high water."

The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up