Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mysterious Illness - anyone sick?  (Read 7942 times)

CNHT

• Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom!
Mysterious Illness - anyone sick?
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:58:04 am »

Posting here in hopes of contacting ALL of the attendees of PF '06.

I have recently been treated for a suspected case of Giardia, a waterborne parasite. It's not pretty....I've been very sick.

Doctor thinks it was picked up during camping, I DO NOT, since none of you have reported any strange illnesses since then, or have you?

I did not drink from any streams, just the spigots that were on the grounds.

I came down with this right after the 104 degree weather and excessive rains we had here in southern NH. But I believe that if this is indeed what I have, I got it from another human via a food source, since there was another case Dxed in my town last week.

If any attendees have been having stomach troubles with no relief, please let me know so that we might pinpoint the source of this horrific ailment? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:17:48 pm by CNHT »

NHJobsMod

• FSP Participant
  • "Veni, vidi, vici!"
Re: Mysterious Illness - anyone sick?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:12:26 am »

PorcFest was in June -- that seems an awfully long time ago for this to be coming about now, and Giardia hasn't actually been diagnosed.

http://giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html

To answer your question, no, I've never gotten sick at PorcFest at Rogers.  Many folks have drunk from the spigots, I imagine.  I haven't heard a peep about PorcFest 2006 complaints involving any physical illness either, but I'll let folks pipe up -- or not.

Rather than speculate, will you let us know what the doc finally says?  If it is giardia, I'm inclined to believe you picked it up elsewhere.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=giardia+more:condition_symptoms&cx=disease_for_patients_inv&sa=N&oi=cooptsr&resnum=0&ct=col3&cd=2

It sounds like it would be obvious in a simple sample taken by the doc to find out once and for all.

Lynn
'Live free or die, for death is not the worst of evils.' -- John Stark, 1833.

CNHT

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:00:32 am »

PorcFest was in June -- that seems an awfully long time ago for this to be coming about now, and Giardia hasn't actually been diagnosed.

http://giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html

To answer your question, no, I've never gotten sick at PorcFest at Rogers.  Many folks have drunk from the spigots, I imagine.  I haven't heard a peep about PorcFest 2006 complaints involving any physical illness either, but I'll let folks pipe up -- or not.

Rather than speculate, will you let us know what the doc finally says?  If it is giardia, I'm inclined to believe you picked it up elsewhere.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=giardia+more:condition_symptoms&cx=disease_for_patients_inv&sa=N&oi=cooptsr&resnum=0&ct=col3&cd=2

It sounds like it would be obvious in a simple sample taken by the doc to find out once and for all.

Lynn

I also do not think the water there was to blame.. But the doctor said it can appear as much as a month later. I do think it was from food I ate.
The tests are not back yet....

jeanius

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:11:57 am »

I could also be a victim of this.  I've been sick since about mid-August.  Mid-September things got bad enough for a trip to the doctor.  Antibiotics cleared up the problem I think.  I am having a couple of residual issues. Unfortunately, two of the symptoms made the doctors think it might be the big C.  A test yesterday confirmed that all is well.  The current theory is that there was some infection that the antibiotics cleared up.  No one else in the family was sick.  I know I drank the tap water there.  But I don't know that I got sick there.  Mysterious illness is a perfect name.  :/

Jean
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:42:47 am by Jean »

CNHT

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:53:48 am »

I could also be a victim of this.  I've been sick since about mid-August.  Mid-September things got bad enough for a trip to the doctor.  Antibiotics cleared up the problem I think.  I am having a couple of residual issues. Unfortunately, two of the symptoms made the doctors think it might be the big C.  A test yesterday confirmed that all is well.  The current theory is that there was some infection that the antibiotics cleared up.  No one else in the family was sick.  I know I drank the tap water there.  But I don't know that I got sick there.  Mysterious illness is a perfect name.  :/

Jean

I have had the illness since August 1st. During September was rushed to the ER the pain was so bad. The worst thing is, that was AFTER I had been given anti-biotics to kill a wide range of bacteria and parasitic infections.

I still say I need a different TYPE of anti-biotic. It is now October and I am still ill.

I had my own well tested and it was perfect. There is no test for Giardia that is convenient but they say if your well is clear of eColi then it most likely has no Giardia. We all drank water from the spigots at the campgrounds that are from similar wells. However, if you were there in the middle of the week, the severe rains we had could have caused run-off that infected the wells...

Also, if we indeed had/have Giardia, even if it is cured with the anti-biotics, the parasite damages the linining of the stomach which takes a while to repair.

I still do not have a definitive Dx as of yet, but thought I would post these facts for anyone having stomach problems who attended Porc Fest.
My illness showed up only one month after I was home. Giardia can be present but not active and show up months, or even years later according to all I have read.

I will email you and we can discuss the more gory symptoms privately.

Thanks for posting!

CNHT

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:15:28 pm »

Jean and I just compared notes on the phone and our symptoms seem awfully similar.

Please contact Jean or myself if you attended Porc Fest '06 and you have had any lingering (lasting more than a week or so) intestinal ailments since then.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:46:55 pm »

Jean and I just compared notes on the phone and our symptoms seem awfully similar.

Jane.  Jean.  If your name is Jena and you got sick too, that's the jackpot.  3 times is enemy action.

CNHT

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 07:00:23 pm »

Jane.  Jean.  If your name is Jena and you got sick too, that's the jackpot.  3 times is enemy action.

I am not quite sure what that is supposed to mean, but for Jean and myself, this has been a very serious and trying 3 months and is not a joke.
Being in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices and confined to home and having to have others do everything for you is not exactly funny,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 08:19:59 pm by CNHT »

jeanius

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 08:11:41 pm »

What Jane said.  It isn't funny.  And it is only today that Jane and I have hooked up and realized we may be suffering with the same thing.  While the antibiotics cleared up one critical symptom I was experiencing, I am still ill, more ill, I believe, the further I get away from that antibiotic treatment.  The test I had yesterday ruled out the doctor's best non-big C diagnosis, along with the big C.  So now I'm left with mystery disease.  :/

Jean

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:36 pm »

What Jane said.  It isn't funny.

Wasn't making light of your illnesses, by any means.  My point was that Jane's illness was dismissed as unlikely to be Roger's related. With your illness, it's far more likely it was.  Coupled with the similar names, I made the joke that if someone named Jena (who was at PorcFest) turned up sick , it would be 3 times.  The quote I referred to is:

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action, Mr Bond.
 - Auric Goldfinger

Meaning that if a 3rd person turned up sick, it certainly _was_ Roger's connected.

CNHT

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 10:33:55 pm »

What Jane said.  It isn't funny.

Wasn't making light of your illnesses, by any means.  My point was that Jane's illness was dismissed as unlikely to be Roger's related. With your illness, it's far more likely it was.  Coupled with the similar names, I made the joke that if someone named Jena (who was at PorcFest) turned up sick , it would be 3 times.  The quote I referred to is:

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action, Mr Bond.
 - Auric Goldfinger

Meaning that if a 3rd person turned up sick, it certainly _was_ Roger's connected.

Well in fact my illness was not dismissed as Roger's related...not yet...and there *is* a third person, who shall not be named that might be involved...

jeanius

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 05:31:54 am »

Okay Seth.  Jane and I are in this huge "ah ha" moment right now.  It is, I can't tell you how much of, a relief to find each other in the light of a lack of definitive diagnosis from our respective medical communities.

Jean

CNHT

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 08:26:43 am »

Okay Seth.  Jane and I are in this huge "ah ha" moment right now.  It is, I can't tell you how much of, a relief to find each other in the light of a lack of definitive diagnosis from our respective medical communities.

Jean

I guess I will just have to curl up with a buddy and watch Coburn whip Lynch's butt on TV tonight instead of having fun out at the actual rally getting bashed on the head with the union thugs signs!

I remember the first time I met Seth and his lovely wife, I was at a similar rally for Benson -- and I just said, are you two here as a result of the FSP? They said, yes, they'd been here two weeks. Then I hopped into their car and they gave me a ride  to the party!   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up