Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunting in White Mountains / Great North Woods  (Read 4709 times)

petep

Hunting in White Mountains / Great North Woods
« on: September 07, 2006, 03:16:52 pm »

I just joined the forum.

I have been living in Fl for the past 7 years...planning a hunting trip with my 10 year old son this fall. Already have a NH license with necessary tags and am hoping to get some advice on the best place to hunt in N. New Hampshire. I am familiar with so. new hampshire and am most interested in hunting in the more rural areas and it seems like the Great North woods area would be ideal from what I've read.

My question is can anyone recommend a cabin to rent, where hunting is nearby.

I'm planning to move within 2 years...daughter starts high school then...and really hoping to end up in New Hampshire. Fl just not the place I want to raise kids, especially thru high school. My sister & her family are moving to New Hampshire, as soon as they sell their Mass home...so we'd be near them too.

But this trip is important...the first half of this year was spent between surgery & chemo for cancer...all OK 4 months out and my prognosis is very good....but I want to make certain my kids get some good outdoor time like I did as a kid in new england...before RI and Mass turned...well, you know.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Hunting in White Mountains / Great North Woods
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:41:17 pm »

"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

petep

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:19:25 am »

Thank you for the reply Joe...I appreciate it.

Yes, I may be interested...I mentioned No. New Hampshire as I want something fairly remote and it seemed like this area was very remote...I'm not too familiar with where your cabin is, though I can locate it on a map....and I've driven on 89 and 93 many times...but never off the road much so I do not know what is in between the two.

I guess what I am looking for is the ability to hunt nearby the cabin...not have to drive for a hour to get to a spot...or be in an area bumping into hundreds of other hunters. Anything you can tell me to give me a sense of this would be great...In the meantime, I'll try to reserach the area a bit more.

Pete

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:31:27 am »

The cabin itself is up on the mountain and, while there are neighbors along the road, it's still a pretty quiet place.  The lot is 3.4 acres, and the access road is shared by a house on a similar lot.  Behind each is 40+/- acres of undeveloped land (used only by the farmer down the road, who taps the maples - he also plow the snow, when needed).  I'm not sure exactly who you'd need to talk to, in order to get permission to hunt on the land, but there are usually a few hunters out there during hunting season, so it seems that whomever controls it is willing to allow hunting.  There are many such areas around, and I'm certain you wouldn't need to travel for anything close to an hour.

Being on a town-maintained dirt road tends to weed out some of the "city-slicker"-type hunters who frequent other areas, bragging about their trucks but never taking them off the pavement...

There's electricity and a well (and a stream, nearby, which can be used for water in the event of a power failure), and a phone line.  No cable TV, but there is an antenna, and I suppose you could put up a satellite dish if you really wanted to.  Heat is by a woodstove and a wall-mounted propane furnace.  There's a gas range for cooking.  There's a shed/workshop next to the cabin, which we'll probably keep for our own storage, but there is a brand-new 12x20 storage shed next to that, which is empty and would be available for your use.

If you're still interested, email me and I'll see about getting some pictures sent to you.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

petep

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 10:34:06 am »

Joe, you should be able to see my email by clicking on my name...it is not hidden from members. If you caould send a few pics that be great, and also give me a price...I think the season starts around nov. 9th...

I am interested, but would probably only be renting for a week....i'm still in fla, working etc...

thanks again.

pete

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 04:15:10 pm »

Email sent...

Joe

AmerTwnCrier

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 04:35:02 pm »

I'm hoping to have my house sold withing 4 - 6 weeks..assuming everything goes well. I'm told it never does. :)
I would be very interested in hearing more about the cabin. I'll need it while I decide where to invest my money.
Thanks

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:30 pm »

I'm hoping to have my house sold withing 4 - 6 weeks..assuming everything goes well. I'm told it never does. :)
I would be very interested in hearing more about the cabin. I'll need it while I decide where to invest my money.

There's some more information here.  If you have any further questions, post them in that thread and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Joe

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:00:43 pm »

What are you going after petep? Are you using Rifle, Muzzleloader, Bow?
Pages: [1]   Go Up