Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elimistate  (Read 7463 times)

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
Elimistate
« on: July 29, 2002, 12:27:12 pm »

I think one way to help decide on the question of Which state to choose is to eliminate one from time to time.  Maybe when we get to 1,000 we eliminate one and then another for every 500 people (or every 1,000 people) we attract until we get to 5,000 and we vote on the remaining states to see which one we pick.  To me it seems clear that some of the states are not really favored by anyone.
Hawaii, Rhode Island, Dakotas, Nebraska come to mind.  Just a thought maybe we could start a poll about which state we should first eliminate.
-Eddie

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
Re:Elimistate
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 01:20:07 pm »

Elimistate seems a very good idea. In addition to having a better idea of where things are headed as we go along, there is the added benefit of getting an increasing percentage of serious signees (example: JohnDoe may sign up if he sees RI on the possibility list, secretly or subconsciously thinking that if its not chosen he will drop out; whereas if knows upfront that RI simply is not a realistic possibility he will make his choice to join based on that knowledge)
Also there is the added benny that some people may actually be considerate enough to let us know, as the field narrows, whether they are still interested. Better 20,000 who really want to go to the selected state than 10,000 and 10,000 who changed their mind after the final state selction is made (and then we find out we have to get 10,000 more signees)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 04:52:34 pm »

It's an interesting idea, and the Research Committee actually has the power to design the state ballot for the official 5000-member vote, so potentially informal "elimistate" votes could be used.  Obviously there would have to be something approaching a consensus in the membership for this to be possible, though.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Mega Joule

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 06:14:41 pm »

It's an interesting idea, and the Research Committee actually has the power to design the state ballot for the official 5000-member vote, so potentially informal "elimistate" votes could be used.  Obviously there would have to be something approaching a consensus in the membership for this to be possible, though.

A question for you...What about eliminating a state if it changes in such a way as to not fulfill the original criteria for selecting it.  For example, as you will find in my report, according to the Nevada State Demographer, Nevada population now exceeds 2 million.  Would such changes constitute a "disqualification?"

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 08:48:13 pm »

Anita --

I would certainly think so, but it would be up to the research committee, I guess

As for eliminating states, I do think there's some confusion as to exactly which state are under consideration, and to get the list down to a 1/2 dozen or so would be easier to communicate to prospective members.

P.S. I just have to say I love the title of this thread!  ;D

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2002, 04:53:26 pm »

Yeah, it'd be pretty much up to the R.C.  At the last meeting we decided to include the 16 states on the State Data page, but we could change that just as easily.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 09:14:17 pm »

P.S. I just have to say I love the title of this thread!  ;D

Thanks Elizabeth!  I just want to say I was inspired by the ultra cheeze 'you should be embarassed if you watch this'  Elimidate.

-Eddie

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2002, 10:07:47 pm »

Thanks Elizabeth!  I just want to say I was inspired by the ultra cheeze 'you should be embarassed if you watch this'  Elimidate.
-Eddie

I knew that.   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up