Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Note about Delaware  (Read 11882 times)

Zxcv

Re:Interesting Note about Delaware
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 06:57:46 pm »

I'm not on that list, so yes, I'd like to see it here.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2003, 02:54:23 am »

Now, after the Participation Guidelines change, some of the people deeply involved in these debates changed their opt-outs - but they told me secretly that they probably would move to these states, they just wanted to make them seem less viable.  But these were just a few people -

Even if there are only a few, that's still pretty disconcerting if they're that much involved in these discussions because it means that some posters are playing games here on at least one level.  It starts to undermine one's confidence in just how seriously people are taking the most important decision that we have to make.

...remember that about 90% of the FSP membership does not participate in these debates.

That is both a good and bad thing.  It prevents polarization but also may mean they are less informed.  OTOH, the state data page gets over 2000 hits a month, so I think people are getting the information off the website.

More article submissions might be in order then to catch others up on what's currently being discussed.  It's a bit worrisome to think that so many who will have such a large part to play in such an important decision may be so ill-informed.  Then again, as you suggest, maybe they're hitting the state data pages for their information.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2003, 11:40:19 am »

I certainly encourage everyone who has an original contribution to make to state research to submit your reports to cheselka@theriver.com and myself so that they can be put on the website.  The website gets much more exposure than any of the forums (whether this web forum, the freestateproject business list, the fsp-state-discussion list, or the political_analysis list).

Btw, I posted the message about spousal consent on the "Family" board here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 11:41:59 am by JasonPSorens »
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

anarchicluv

• FSP Participant
  • Semper Liber
    • Strike The Root
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 02:32:15 am »

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already but a large percentage of businesses are incorporated in Delaware due to it's advanced and business friendly laws. In addition all merger and acquisition law is based on Delaware law. If we took control of this state we could have a hand in making these laws even more appealing to businesses and have an effect on the business world (especially taxes for small businesses) nationwide.

This is kind of a non-issue.  If I'm not mistaken, the majority of businesses incorporated in DE do not operate there physically.  We could get these same types of laws on the books in the Free State, given a little time.  I think that a state such as WY would simply love the idea of making it easier to attract business to the state.

Jeremy
If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood.
~Henry David Thoreau

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2003, 10:36:07 am »

Jason said:
Yes, you're right, all else equal a more desirable place to live is a better state for us.

What better state than Delaware for a desirable place to live?
Warm, lots of jobs, next door to Philadelphia and Baltimore!

Coastal Access.
Possibility of taking over the entire DelMarVa peninsula since the East Shore apparently wants to secede from the rest of Maryland.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

Karl

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2003, 10:50:18 am »

Hank,

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here with your display of belligerent devil's advocacy.  I also think you are overestimating Delaware's chances and therefor wasting a lot of energy.  You're certainly not making friends among the "city types" that make up much of the FSP that you loathe so much.

Keep in mind too that if Wyoming is chosen, many of the east coast and west coast "city types" will be moving there.   Some of them may want to build houses and other buildings where you don't want them built.

What will you do when a developer decides to build a 200-home tract and strip mall adjacent to your heretofore rural land?  Will you try to stop them?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 10:52:34 am by Karl Beisel »

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2003, 10:55:43 am »

Karl, he's obviously trying to divide the eastern vote between DE and NH.  Soon he'll start posting pro-VT and pro-ME stuff, too.  That's ok, he's entititled to try, of course.  I have faith that my fellow FSP members can see through this effort and will judge the 10 candidate states singularly based on their individual attributes, rather than some sort of geographical loyalty.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 10:56:40 am by Keith Murphy »
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up