Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PF'07 location?  (Read 8594 times)

average_shooter

PF'07 location?
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:43:22 am »

I realize Russell is a little out of touch at the moment, so is anyone else picking up the PorcFest '07 location search?  Or was a location picked and I just missed it?  Or are we waiting to see how things go with Russ ( hopefully things go well) ?  I'm just curious what's going on since it seems little discussion of PF has happened since Russ' latest protest/arrest.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay what's going on there, just trying to keep discussion alive here.

Otosan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!
Re: PF'07 location?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:24 am »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

freedom's ideologue

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Caleb for Congress
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:48:49 am »

I'm with you Otosan ... I wish we had Kater doing this again, because it just isn't getting done by the current crew.

Maybe it's time to plan another Shorty Dawkins Jamboree and do an end around the filibustering crew.
We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done. - Jean Luc Picard

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 10:25:19 am »

I'm with you Otosan ... I wish we had Kater doing this again, because it just isn't getting done by the current crew.

Maybe it's time to plan another Shorty Dawkins Jamboree and do an end around the filibustering crew.

I love when people who aren't involved and don't take the opportunity to stay up to date act like they know what's going on and criticize like they know something. 

If you want to know what going on, as stated earlier, join the Yahoo PorcFest 2007 group.  As also stated earlier, the forum is no longer going to be used for posting every news event and discussion point.

--
Rich Goldman
Head Organizer, PorcFest 2007 & 2008

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:25:37 pm »

Its not your forum Rich.  We will discuss anything we want here.
What are you accomplishing?  The last suggestion I saw was splitting up P'fest, camping at Rogers, breaking camp and moving to Gunstock.  Before that the discussion was having P'fest on some raw piece of land with no infrastructure.
Every argument against Rogers is feeble.
Oh Gee!  People can't take day tours from Rogers!  you say, but, many manage to do it!  Many have to drive thru much of the state to get to Rogers and can look in to towns that interest themon their way there and back.
Ottosan, who come evey year from fucking Tennesee, and who takes his own day trips, just wants to know when the damn thing is going to take place so he can plan his vacation time.  How many potential P'fest participants are we loosing due to this crap because they can't startplanning?
Another thing is that, as far as i know, all of the other places that have been suggested will require that the FSP pays up front to use them, meaning that if enough people don't come, the FSP eats the costs.  For Rogers, all we have to do is rent the hall for one saturday, get the campground to give discounts to members that reserve sites and after that members just reserve,and, pay for, their own Tentsites, Campersites, motel rooms, and the little houses called 'campmodels'( which are beginning to look good to me).

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 01:17:53 pm »

What are you accomplishing?  The last suggestion I saw was splitting up P'fest, camping at Rogers, breaking camp and moving to Gunstock.  Before that the discussion was having P'fest on some raw piece of land with no infrastructure.
Oh Gee!  People can't take day tours from Rogers!  you say, but, many manage to do it!  Many have to drive thru much of the state to get to Rogers and can look in to towns that interest themon their way there and back.
Ottosan, who come evey year from fucking Tennesee, and who takes his own day trips, just wants to know when the damn thing is going to take place so he can plan his vacation time.  How many potential P'fest participants are we loosing due to this crap because they can't startplanning?
Another thing is that, as far as i know, all of the other places that have been suggested will require that the FSP pays up front to use them, meaning that if enough people don't come, the FSP eats the costs.  For Rogers, all we have to do is rent the hall for one saturday, get the campground to give discounts to members that reserve sites and after that members just reserve,and, pay for, their own Tentsites, Campersites, motel rooms, and the little houses called 'campmodels'( which are beginning to look good to me).

Hey Lloyd...What you said. ;D
Appears keeping the folks up to date on what is going on is not a high priority of the PorcFest Committee. ::)
Why am I thinking nothing is going on? :P
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 01:42:54 pm »

Also Caleb might be joking... remember when Russell was bitchin' about this last year? :-*

How about a weekly update on the forum?

I just can't be on another yahoo group.... I can't. :'(

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 02:35:36 pm »

Also Caleb might be joking... remember when Russell was bitchin' about this last year? :-*

Yes I do remember Russell's verbage.  Isn't he on the search committee this year? ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 06:07:08 pm »

Before addressing the points Lloyd made, let me say that this discussion is rather moot.  As discussed on the yahoo group, we are all but officially having PorcFest at Gunstock the week of June 18th-24th.  This will likely become official in the coming week or so. 

Lloyd, I was not suggesting otherwise and I am a bit upset that you'd suggest/insinuate that I wanted to own or censor the forum.  My issue is not with discussing things, it's with Caleb inappropriately sniping the PorcFest 2007 organizers.

We have been exploring new/alternative options for this year.  As a consequence, various ideas and options have been put forward, discussed, and evaluated, some of which you mention.    Testing new options takes time. 

What we have been accomplishing is conducting a rather thorough assessment of all our options rather than defaulting to Rogers.  And as noted, this process is just about over.

No one is sure if, who, or how many made their own tours/tips, but the fact is that it was uncoordinated and splintered at best.  If we want to showcase New Hampshire, we should have organized trips, to predetermined locations and events, and do it as a group.  Those that want to go it alone and do their own thing, fine, but I'm making sure that this year we aren't just talking about NH and expecting people to try to see and learn things on their own time, but to show it to them, frame things for them, and do it as a group.

The community building aspect of PorcFest is great.  This year, we are (simply) extending it out beyond the campgrounds. 

Gunstock gives us a good central location to camp, hang out, have camp fires, parties, i.e. all the usual PorcFest activities, and makes organized tours around the state possible.

At this point, the unofficial plan (as you should know, since you are on the yahoo group) is to have PorcFest June 18th-24th @ Gunstock.  This will likely become official in the coming week or so.

I don't know how many might have been lost and neither do you, so don't ask this like we have in actuality lost a significant number of people.   

Another thing is that, as far as i know, all of the other places that have been suggested will require that the FSP pays up front to use them, meaning that if enough people don't come, the FSP eats the costs. 

At this point, the only thing we'd be paying up front for is the facilities we'd use, e.g. meeting places, and this is what we've done at Rogers.

For Rogers, all we have to do is rent the hall for one saturday, get the campground to give discounts to members that reserve sites and after that members just reserve,and, pay for, their own Tentsites, Campersites, motel rooms, and the little houses called 'campmodels'( which are beginning to look good to me).

If we were to be at Rogers, we'd need to rent facilities for more than just Saturday.  We'd also need/want more than just the meeting hall. 

When did Rogers offer to give us discounts?  My impression is that any discounts would essentially be through FSP subsidies.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 06:20:06 pm by Rich Goldman »
--
Rich Goldman

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:15:11 pm »

I used to do a weekly/routine update to the forum here, but this led to a problem in that responses to the forum may not be seen by those on the yahoo group who weren't paying attention to the FSP forum and responses on the yahoo group were not seen by those on the forum.  I didn't not want to continue to have two effectively parallel discussion boards at the same time.  Hence, I made a decision to focus discussion and news related to the decision making process to the Yahoo Group and I posted to the FSP forum this change. 

That's fine.  Again, my issue is not with people deciding not to join the yahoo group, it is with people not joining the group, getting upset that they aren't being kept up to date of behind the scenes actions, and then complaining that nothing is being done.
--
Rich Goldman

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 06:16:50 pm »

Yes I do remember Russell's verbage.  Isn't he on the search committee this year? ;D

Caleb, if you were joking, please say so.

Yes, Russell is/has been helping us review several of the the venues we considered.
--
Rich Goldman

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:17:49 pm »

When did Rogers offer to give us discounts?  My impression is that any discounts would essentially be through FSP subsidies.

In 2005 they offered us a slight discount (the people) when it came to camping, from what I remember.  They offered everyone (including FSP people and non-FSP people for almost the whole camping season) a slightly smaller discount.

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 06:21:57 pm »

In 2005 they offered us a slight discount (the people) when it came to camping, from what I remember.  They offered everyone (including FSP people and non-FSP people for almost the whole camping season) a slightly smaller discount.

Okay, thanks for the update.

This said, unless things unexpectedly fall through with Gunstock, this is largely moot.
--
Rich Goldman

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 10:41:41 pm »

What do you mean by "All but officially"? Is Gunstock already considering a proposal, or have those doing this not yet asked Gunstock for confirmation?

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 11:17:13 pm »

What do you mean by "All but officially"? Is Gunstock already considering a proposal, or have those doing this not yet asked Gunstock for confirmation?

It means that after talking with Gunstock more and conferring with the PF organizers, I've decided that this is the date and location I'm committed to.  This said, a written contract has not yet been signed with Gunstock.  Once that is signed, things will be official.
--
Rich Goldman
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything