Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any FSP members work at Fidelity in Merrimack?  (Read 5903 times)

Galen

• FSP Participant
  • The Corp is Mother The Corp is Father.
    • Show Me Blog
Any FSP members work at Fidelity in Merrimack?
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:54:55 pm »

I was researching job opportunities in NH and ran across a number of jobs at Fidelity in Merrimack
in IT which looked like a fairly good match for my skill set.

Are there any FSP folks who work for Fidelity? If so, would you be willing to answer some questions
via email?

Thanks,

Glenn

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Any FSP members work at Fidelity in Merrimack?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »

I don't work there but I know about 3-4 people who do work there.

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »

I believe Fidelity is relocating some/all of the operations at that location to a southern state, FYI.  Doesn't mean you couldn't still get a job there, but I suspect it will be a chaotic environment.
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

Galen

• FSP Participant
    • Show Me Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »

The situation you report about Fidelity doesn't sound very encouraging.

Thanks for reporting what you know straight up.

Working for a large corporation isn't all that attractive to me anyway.
The corporate environment would limit my activism.

Guess I need to find something more entrepreneurial and flexible.

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 08:37:27 pm »

My employer is privately held, based in Nashua, and growing like gangbusters: http://www.kbace.com  Knowledge of Oracle applications or Java is recommended.
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

Galen

• FSP Participant
    • Show Me Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:45:26 pm »

My employer is privately held, based in Nashua, and growing like gangbusters: http://www.kbace.com  Knowledge of Oracle applications or Java is recommended.

Thanks for the link. I browsed through the job openings but didn't find anything that looked like
a good fit for me. I don't have any experience with Oracle and although I have Java experience
I haven't done any work at the enterprise (EJB) layer.

I am more of a generalist with a great deal of experience with Solaris/FreeBSD, open source, and a
wide range of programming languages. I do have a bit of OSS net fame to fall back on with all the
work I did as an Apache Tomcat developer and the sessions I presented at the 2001, 2002, and 2003
Apache Software Foundation Conferences.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:07:14 pm »

I am more of a generalist with a great deal of experience with Solaris/FreeBSD, open source, and a
wide range of programming languages. I do have a bit of OSS net fame to fall back on with all the
work I did as an Apache Tomcat developer and the sessions I presented at the 2001, 2002, and 2003
Apache Software Foundation Conferences.

Well, I remember my first IT job out of college -- I swore I knew everything about awk there was to know, then spent the first week studying my ass off and learning fast ;)

The moral of the story is not to lie, but rather to be honest. If a hiring manager needs somebody, 95% of the time, what's most important is a smart person who'se willing to work hard and leasrn fast, more than someone who has spent the last 5 years on the specific exact technology in question. Job #1 is yo get yourself an interview where you can sell yourself as that bringht, hardworking person, to the hiring manager!

Anyway, be sure to check the posts Rich T. has been putting up. Also check monster.com and the NH Jobs Info page.

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 10:55:48 pm »

I believe Fidelity is relocating some/all of the operations at that location to a southern state, FYI.  Doesn't mean you couldn't still get a job there, but I suspect it will be a chaotic environment.
Where'd you hear that?  Big blow for Merrimack if true.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

longtimelurker

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »

It looks to me like they're actually moving more jobs into NH, not out: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/03/24/commuting_habits_may_ease_sting_of_fidelitys_office_closing/

I just finished an internship at one of Fidelity's competitors and received an offer to work there full time after graduation.  I've been lurking on this website for awhile now considering moving to NH and I feel like this might be a good opportunity to try to make it happen.  After looking on their employment website, I didn't see any openings for undergrads (operations research and financial engineering major) interested in portfolio management.

Since I'm on kind of a short time line before I have to make a decision on my offer to go back to the place I interned, does anyone have any suggestions for how I submit my resume to them?   I'm not sure if applying to jobs that want experience while mentioning my situation in my cover letter is the best approach or not.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »

maybe fidelity got bailout money or is "too big to fail" :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »

Fidelity are moving jobs out of MA and in to NH.

In south Nashua there is also Dell (EuqalLogic), Intel and Oracle jobs available. If you don't mind going to mass then Canonical are also hiring.

longtimelurker

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 03:35:33 am »

maybe fidelity got bailout money or is "too big to fail" :)

Fidelity counter-parties on some trades certainly did (AIG sold CDS to basically everyone), but they wouldn't have gotten the money directly.   Fidelity is buy-side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up