Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP Pro-Con articles  (Read 3010 times)

Mary Lou Seymour (libertymls)

• FSP Participant
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
    • Liberty Activists
FSP Pro-Con articles
« on: January 12, 2003, 03:39:32 pm »

Everyone, please take a look at the FSP "pro-con" articles on Rational Review

The Free State Project: good idea or libertopian fantasy?
by Steve Trinward
http://www.rationalreview.com/archive/stevetrinward/stevetrinward011203.html

Contra Trinward: the secret virtue of the Hail Mary. by Tom Knapp
http://www.rationalreview.com/archive/tlknapp/tlknapp011203.html

"A libertarian is a person who believes that no one has the right, under any circumstances, to initiate force against another human being, or to advocate or delegate its initiation." L.Neil Smith

TedApelt

• FSP Participant
  • Free 50 states - one at a time.
Re:FSP Pro-Con articles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 12:17:38 am »

The Free State Project: good idea or libertopian fantasy?
by Steve Trinward
http://www.rationalreview.com/archive/stevetrinward/stevetrinward011203.html

He makes some very good points.  Probably the most important point of the article is this:
For example, they speak about the effect of having those 20,000 votes suddenly at the command of a new set of candidates. Consider this: How many libertarians do you know who, once they had made the move to new digs, would make it a priority (presumably for at bare minimum the next 5-10 years) to get out and vote each time -- let alone to help with the pollwatching, neighborhood canvassing and envelope stuffing involved in supporting a serious campaign for public office (or in this case, a whole slate of them?)?

Once again, everybody, GET INVOLVED IN THE POLITICAL PROCESS!!!   NOW!!!

If you are not doing it now, I find it hard to believe that you will be doing it in the Free State.
How much political experience do you have?  Probably not enough.  Get some!  DO THIS NOW!!!

Zxcv

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 02:20:47 pm »

Looks like Trinward raised some fairly obvious points, without bothering to research the fact we are busily discussing all of them here, and trying to deal with them. The effect of his article was to make us come off as naive.

His big item was: too cold.  ::)

Even libertarian media can be a waste of time.

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 11:51:12 pm »

Looks like Trinward raised some fairly obvious points, without bothering to research the fact we are busily discussing all of them here, and trying to deal with them. The effect of his article was to make us come off as naive.

He also said this in the last paragraph:
If the Free State Project were to consider some of these questions as serious criticisms, and not just the carping of another naysayer, I might change my tune a bit. It is still highly unlikely that I'll be convinced to join the project, but at least it might stop me telling others why they shouldn't!

Mary Lou, didn't you post a response from Steve regarding his article? Considering that all the points he raised have been discussed on the forums and email lists, he needs to publish a retraction with apology. As it is, he is just carping.

Diana

Mary Lou Seymour (libertymls)

• FSP Participant
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
    • Liberty Activists
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 09:59:39 pm »

Mary Lou, didn't you post a response from Steve regarding his article? Considering that all the points he raised have been discussed on the forums and email lists, he needs to publish a retraction with apology. As it is, he is just carping.

I did post a response from Steve (either here or on another thread or on one or more of the lists, it's too much to keep track of:-)

Well, I think the RRND Pro article from Tom Knapp was good; however, I may ask Steve if he'd be willing to do a retraction. HOWEVER, he was NOT all at fault; we can't expect everyone to come read all the forums and the email lists and even the website etc. He was honestly reporting on what he perceived of the FSP based on the mostly "fluffy" articles in the various media, NONE of which address any political reality at all, and, on the LNC presentation, which also didnt go into that aspect. We need to "beef up" our message and sound a bit more, well,  "political", if we expect to be taken seriously.

I think it's a good "heads up" from Steve.

"A libertarian is a person who believes that no one has the right, under any circumstances, to initiate force against another human being, or to advocate or delegate its initiation." L.Neil Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up