Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marry A Foreigner For Freedom!  (Read 18952 times)

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
Re: Marry A Foreigner For Freedom!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 11:18:52 pm »

Well there is also the Diversity Visa program. As long as the person isn't from India, they might have some luck with it.
Personally, I think a much better method than marrying people you wouldn't ordinarily marry in the first place would simply be to work to change the stupid immigration laws. Sure, it might be a lot harder, but it'll help so many more people in the long run. There's no reason why it should be so hard for people to immigrate to the US as it is today. Forget the "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." Nowadays they don't want you unless you've got plenty of money and a degree. If it had always been like that, I would be a European today.
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 03:50:07 pm »

Well there is also the Diversity Visa program. As long as the person isn't from India, they might have some luck with it.
Personally, I think a much better method than marrying people you wouldn't ordinarily marry in the first place would simply be to work to change the stupid immigration laws. Sure, it might be a lot harder, but it'll help so many more people in the long run. There's no reason why it should be so hard for people to immigrate to the US as it is today. Forget the "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." Nowadays they don't want you unless you've got plenty of money and a degree. If it had always been like that, I would be a European today.

If we don't have some standards, the US would look like India today.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 04:51:37 pm »

The list of excluded countries standard at 17 for next year (it is also worth noting that it is based on your country of Birth not Citizenship) and at the moment contains: the United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Canada, China (mainland born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Russia, South Korea, and Vietnam.

I am on my way through the K1 right now but have throughly investigated all the options over the last few years and have a sizable collection of resources devoted to this subject so if anyone else not in the US needs some help with the visa related stuff I am more then happy to lend a hand.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:54 pm »

I was considering marrying a foreign woman until I met my gf (who is now a freestater, too).  How difficult would it be to bring such a person into the country, with or without citizenship?  Would it be easier just to get them a degree or something?  It seems a big waste of time to have to go through all of this to get these extra activists here.

I don't want to bring up the free nation project, again, but it's a lot easier to get into Belize...

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:24 am »

I'd be glad to help, provided the prospective female porcupine pays any legal costs associated with it and agrees for it to be a secular wedding. I currently live in Florida, so she'd have to come down here first before fleeing to the Free State. And I've got a boyfriend, so sorry ladies, we wouldn't be consummating our wedding night.  ;)
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

Ear

• First 1000
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2006, 01:33:03 pm »

Lastly, If the government were to look online (I would htink they would have something better to do, but heck, they're government employees) and discover a thread titled "Marry a foreigner for freedom" it might just cause them to look much further into anyone who just happens to be a free state member who just happens to be married to a foreigner and is applying for a spouse visa. This in turn could make it a lot harder for those of us who HAVE married in good faith and would just like to live together some point during their marriage instead of spending $1000-$2000 in order to see one another 3 times a year.

(Sure, I could always move to Finland: marrying someone there gets you an automatic right to stay there, but I would be utterly unemployable there and our plan is to move AWAY from high taxes, not into them).

If you want, you could make a special effort to meet with FSP members abroad, and see if something happens, but I wouldn't recommend faking the whole thing. That's just plan dumb.

Hear, hear.

I was going to post an objection very similar to this, until I saw Rochelle's post.  Do as you wish, but please don't try to start some FSP dating service with the explicit aim of defrauding the gubmint to get around their immigration laws.  My wife is Chinese, and it's going to be damned difficult enough to get citizenship for her as it is, without some bureaucrat having an AHA! moment after reading our forums.

Just for the record, I LOVE my wife, in all capitals.  She's my best friend and neither of us can stand to be away from the other for more than a day or two.

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2006, 07:34:38 pm »

Do as you wish, but please don't try to start some FSP dating service with the explicit aim of defrauding the gubmint to get around their immigration laws.  My wife is Chinese, and it's going to be damned difficult enough to get citizenship for her as it is, without some bureaucrat having an AHA! moment after reading our forums.
Ooh, I'm so sorry for you :( Be sure to contact your senator and file at the consulate (if they let you), both of those should make it easier. In many respects, I'm lucky that my husband's finnish because the Helsinki consulate has a good reputation for being polite and FAST.
But you're in China with your wife, presumably, so you two don't have to be apart. But I hope the visa goes well with you guys and you make it to the free state soon!

I'd be glad to help, provided the prospective female porcupine pays any legal costs associated with it and agrees for it to be a secular wedding. I currently live in Florida, so she'd have to come down here first before fleeing to the Free State. And I've got a boyfriend, so sorry ladies, we wouldn't be consummating our wedding night.
Lucky for you male FSPers out number female ones by a wide number :) so you won't have to make any sacrifices, in all likelihood.

William Ernest Henley

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 04:23:22 pm »

Lucky for you male FSPers out number female ones by a wide number :) so you won't have to make any sacrifices, in all likelihood.
It isn't a sacrifice for some of us.  Look up "polyandry" in Wikipedia or a reliable source of information.  (My first marriage was a polyandry, lasted longer than my parents' "death do us part" xtian monogamy).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 08:50:42 pm »

Look up "polyandry" in Wikipedia or a reliable source of information.  (My first marriage was a polyandry, lasted longer than my parents' "death do us part" xtian monogamy).
I meant that tongue-in-cheek. But assuming Naconner swings just one way, marrying a woman would, in fact, be a sacrifice. Though I guess for many men it is anyway ;)

William Ernest Henley

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 09:16:29 pm »

[marrying a woman would, in fact, be a sacrifice. Though I guess for many men it is anyway ;)

Third time's a charm ...

Actually, it is.  My first wife and her husband (an ex-roommate of my late friend since the 70s Samuel Edward Konkin III, google "agorism") introduced me to my current wife.  (Ni knew something about my taste in women, she was with me when I met my second wife at an SF convention at the Disneyland Hotel, Valentine Day 1981, several months before my cohusband went sociopathic and things fell apart).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

CNHT

• Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:58 pm »

I agree with Doug.

As long as both people understand why they are doing this. I mean if they are marrying because they have wanted to anyway, fine. If they are marrying to get citizenship and then divorce, as long as they both understand what they are doing and agree to it, so be it!

I worry more about their understanding of what to do to help us improve NH once they get here, whether they stay married or not.

davek

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2006, 12:53:21 am »

There's also the possibility that some may join the pool of foreign FSP pledgers because they could quickly become US citizens by marrying one of you.  With no real attachment to the movement, no intent of moving to NH and fighting for liberty, they would be no real asset to the cause.

randy762ak

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 07:04:57 pm »

First post!
 Lucky Me =I married the most beautiful chinese woman--[Imported her from Nanning china] It was a Job -We met on the web and chated for 2 mts then I went to visit her in china for 1 mth--Ill never think about china like I used to =NICE PLACE!
TOOK INS a whole year to get her a visa to come here! But worth it !
http://www.msnusers.com/Randysinternetphotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=54
   Im definatly leaving NY stinking state Ill check this place out  for shure ==Randy
IF YOUR NOT REGESTERED TO VOTE ===YOU DONT DESERVE TO OWN A GUN!!!!!

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
    • Matt Barney's Personal Page
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »

http://www.msnusers.com/Randysinternetphotos/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=54

She's pretty!  I agree with your comments about China.  Personal freedoms are a dictatorial nightmare, for sure (I've visited Beijing, Shanghai & Chong Ching on business multiple times).  But I'm convinced that even communist China is more free-market with respect to economic freedoms than the US of A.  Hong Kong, by far, of course is extremely free, but mainland is much more a vibrant land of opportunity than, say the People's Republic of California where I live.

I hope she became a citizen and also loves her freedom!  Did she too sign up as an FSP member?

Matt

randy762ak

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 07:21:01 pm »

No she has not signed up===I just found this site as Im in full blooming hatred towards NY state -I heard about this place so I googgelled it  and Here I am -
YEaa China Shure  Is a frendly BUSINESS enviroment ---Few beleave me - Gotta run -====ILL BE BACK!!!!
  love to chat more 
IF YOUR NOT REGESTERED TO VOTE ===YOU DONT DESERVE TO OWN A GUN!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up