Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from the People's Republic of Austin in the once great state of Texas  (Read 6244 times)

paulfife

I haven't spent much time there since 1986, so they may have changed. But from my childhood until that time, OK had "state package stores"; they may have been privately run, but I don't know the ownership details. If they were private, they were essentially contracting as state agents, because they were very exclusive, and were the only place you could buy liquor, or cold beer greater than 3.2% ABV.

Kevin

I've have only been here since 1998 so I'm can't say how things have changed over the years. The liquor stores here don't appear to be too exclusive since they seem to be on every corner and in many shapes and sizes with varying prices from store to store. For sure things are highly regulated as stores must buy from a small set of approved wholesalers only who effectively have control of the market. There are also lots of annoying laws like no corkscrews or anything without alcohol in the store, and a person can only own one store, etc, etc etc.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant

I just read back over the thread, and I fear I implied that I grew up in OK. I didn't; I spent my youth in western Arkansas, which is "dry" from Texarkana to Fort Smith, so all our alcohol came from OK. From my home to the nearest "beer joint" was 4 miles. For liquor, we had to travel to Watson, Broken Bow, Page, Heavener, or Poteau. In the late '70s-early'80s, they had one "OK state package store" per town.

You're right about the sparsity: the package stores sold nothing but bottles of alcohol.

Oh, and the "bottle clubs" were fun: they weren't licensed to sell alcohol, so you had to BYOB. Except you couldn't actually keep your bottle: you had to give it over, then buy the set-ups, and pay them to serve you your own liquor. A glass of Coke cost the same as a Jack & Coke at a real club, except you also had to provide the Jack.  ???

The only time I resided in OK was at FAOBC, Fort Sill, from February-June 1986. That's when I learned about "actual physical control" of a vehicle, where you can be charged with DWI for being drunk while sleeping in your car with the keys in your pocket. And "open container" laws that don't specify alcoholic beverage containers; one Major from Sill smarted off to a trooper and got busted for "open container", for a Coke can full of fishing worms.

I  don't think Oklahoma recognizes common-law marriage these days, but when I was there, all it took to be "married" was a single representation of yourselves as husband and wife. They warned us to never check into a motel as "Mr. & Mrs."... too many of the "Mrs."es had been known to show up with copies of the motel register, demanding CHAMPUS cards and commissary shopping privileges.

Kevin

Henry

Sounds to me like you belong in NH.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator

Sounds to me like you belong in NH.

If it's KBCraig you're talkin' about, naw, we don't want him here. :o

Just kiddin'. We can't wait to have the Craigs here.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up