Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Insane thread resurrection  (Read 20208 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Insane thread resurrection
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:52 pm »

...not sure we can afford NH even on two teachers salary?

NH is the lowest-tax state in the US (other than Alaska, but that's because the oil companies are required to subsidize everyone who lives there).

Property taxes vary dramatically from town to town in NH.  If you want a lot of government-run services, you pay for that.  If you don't, choose a town with few services, and low taxes.

There are a variety of towns in and around those areas, with varying taxes.  Portsmouth, for example, has very high taxes.  Neighboring Greenland has substantially lower taxes than Portsmouth.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

jrafe

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »

.  Portsmouth, for example, has very high taxes.  Neighboring Greenland has substantially lower taxes than Portsmouth.

Ahh I see, live in Greenland, drive to Portsmouth.  I bet Portsmouth has great public schools though.  That'll be very important to us in about 3 years.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

.  Portsmouth, for example, has very high taxes.  Neighboring Greenland has substantially lower taxes than Portsmouth.

Ahh I see, live in Greenland, drive to Portsmouth.  I bet Portsmouth has great public schools though.  That'll be very important to us in about 3 years.
If you go that route, keep in mind the majority of property taxes in a town tend to be to fund the schools.  You may or may not agree with the metrics many sites use to measure schools, so if this is important to you, you should start doing research.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:56 am »

Public schools suck.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

jrafe

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »

Public schools suck.

Absolutely agree hence why I'm considering a career change.  But public schools in wealthier towns and cities have less of societies' dregs.  I want my own children to attend private or parochial schools.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:17 pm »

Public schools suck.

Absolutely agree hence why I'm considering a career change.  But public schools in wealthier towns and cities have less of societies' dregs.  I want my own children to attend private or parochial schools.

Since the majority of school funding comes from the town in NH, you may want to reconsider where you live. If you send your kids to private school, you probably want to live in a low-property-tax, low-school-spending location. There really aren't many places in NH where you'll need to worry about the lumpenproletariat in your neighborhood.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »

So far I'm liking Salem, Hudson, Nashua, Portsmouth and we have some family in Dover so I'll check that out as well.  Looking at house prices is a little concerning, not cheap avg price I am seeing is $250k for comparable to what we have now which we paid 175k here plus the property tax there good lord, ours are barely 1,000/yr here, not sure we can afford NH even on two teachers salary?

You can easily afford to live in NH on 1 teacher's salary if you only have 1 child. With 2 teacher's salaries, maybe you could afford to have 4-5 kids.

For example, in Nashua or Manchester you can get a 2 bedroom apartment with utilities paid for $1,000 a month. An apartment that size holds 2 parents and 2 children.

You can likely get a duplex in Manchester for around $250,000 and rent out the other half.

If you are looking at Portsmouth, why not look at Seabrook so your wife can work in MA if needed? Condos go for $95k and the property tax bills are 1/2 of what they are in Portsmouth. Not to mention that you are right on 2 interstates.

jrafe

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »

So far I'm liking Salem, Hudson, Nashua, Portsmouth and we have some family in Dover so I'll check that out as well.  Looking at house prices is a little concerning, not cheap avg price I am seeing is $250k for comparable to what we have now which we paid 175k here plus the property tax there good lord, ours are barely 1,000/yr here, not sure we can afford NH even on two teachers salary?

You can easily afford to live in NH on 1 teacher's salary if you only have 1 child. With 2 teacher's salaries, maybe you could afford to have 4-5 kids.

For example, in Nashua or Manchester you can get a 2 bedroom apartment with utilities paid for $1,000 a month. An apartment that size holds 2 parents and 2 children.

You can likely get a duplex in Manchester for around $250,000 and rent out the other half.

If you are looking at Portsmouth, why not look at Seabrook so your wife can work in MA if needed? Condos go for $95k and the property tax bills are 1/2 of what they are in Portsmouth. Not to mention that you are right on 2 interstates.

Not really looking at Portsmouth I just remember liking it when we went there a couple times.  I am really liking Salem now.  Is there any kind of FSP presence near nashua/salem/hudson?

freedomroad

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »

Sure, there are weekly meetings (more than 1 meeting) by liberty groups both Nashua and Manchester (it's the same area). There is also a monthly meeting in Manchester and the yearly Liberty Forum in Nashua.

Here are some inexpensive places in NH. http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=26528.0

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 01:55:36 am »

Public schools suck.

This. My wife and I plan on homeschooling in NH.
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

jrafe

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »

Public schools suck.

This. My wife and I plan on homeschooling in NH.

Hey no argument here.  I am a public school teacher and I tell anyone who will listen to get their children out of public schools.  Wife has applied to Salem and Hopkinton so far.

Ambitious Ant

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 03:57:33 pm »

Hey no argument here.  I am a public school teacher and I tell anyone who will listen to get their children out of public schools.  Wife has applied to Salem and Hopkinton so far.
With my experience in the public school system (the South even), I advise parents to keep their children away from public schools. Don't even tell them what a public school is. And God forbid your child ends up in a public alternative/reform school.

Don't do it.

jrafe

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

With my experience in the public school system (the South even), I advise parents to keep their children away from public schools. Don't even tell them what a public school is. And God forbid your child ends up in a public alternative/reform school.

Don't do it.

I am hoping to find good parochial schools.  If my wife's wealthy family wants to help out, maybe even private schools.

Ambitious Ant

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:32 pm »

I am hoping to find good parochial schools. If my wife's wealthy family wants to help out, maybe even private schools.
The bold part. That right there.

jrafe

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2013, 08:53:08 pm »

Wife has a lead in Hopkinton, any info on it?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up