Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician Family looking for ideas on where to once we get here  (Read 6803 times)

Sherri

• FSP Participant

HI! I am Sherri, and my husband Matt and I have 3 kids and we can't wait to get to NH and start a new life with all of our wonderfull new family! Matt is a musical instrument repair tech and guitar teacher and I am an activist, homemaking, psychology student. We are looking for an area with natural beauty, (we love trees and anything outdoorsy) but also would like to be close to a town with lots of artistic, musical and volunteering opportunity's. Good schools are also very important to us although we are highly considering homeschool regardless. Any ideas on what towns would fit? Any great music stores looking for a good repair tech or teacher? Any musicians we just get together with and jam once we get there, or parents looking for top notch guitar lessons for there kids? Just let us know, you can contact us personally if you like at   matsherevelis@msn.com
More than anything though, we are firmly committed to the interests and intent of the free state project, and feel blessed to be a part of such an opportunity. Thank You to All!
                  In Peace, Love Sherri

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Musician Family looking for ideas on where to once we get here
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:22:41 pm »

Hello Sherri and welcome, I don't know what area would be right for you, but I am sure there will be many NH folks giving you ideas here very soon.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:04:27 pm »

Well, I am in Manchester (which is home to almost one fifth of the FSP migrants), and there is a thriving music community here, including two of my roommates.  There are five music stores within one mile of my house, and at least three more major stores that I can think of off the top of my head.

As for political activity, we are a 20 minute drive from Concord, and most FSP groups are either within or in driving distance of the city.  Manchester has the largest number of available jobs and volunteer activities.  The public schools have gone downhill, and there aren't enough private schools to meet the demand here.  You might also consider one of the neighboring towns, rather than the city itself.  The public and private schools outside the city are better, and you may be able to get better freeway access.

I like Manchester myself, because Elm St is within walking distance, and there's a lot going on down there.  There are real bands playing every night and a decent night scene.  The outer parts of the city are also good for raising a family.  Some people prefer the inner parts of the city because you can reach Elm St by foot.  You can still do that from the northern part of the city.

You might also consider Nashua, which borders on Massachussets, or Keene, which many are saying is very nice.  Portsmouth and Hampton are on the Seacoast, about a 45 minute drive from either Manchester or Concord.  They sometimes miss the more severe winters, being right on the ocean.  The best thing to do is contact someone who has a whole floor to move into temporarily (there are many dupleces in Manchester), and get around the state to see what you like.  There are some beautiful towns around this state.

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

FreeBoB

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 12:47:30 am »

Welcome Sherri and family.

I share your enthusiasm about NH and our mission of freedom.  ;D  I plan to start visiting NH to locate a town inwhich to set up again - next trip is April.  I've got a notebook full of facts and thoughts - have you done online research to find and eliminate towns and regions?  I will eliminate any town that assesses even half of the property taxes that I pay here in upstate NY!  Lots of research links here: http://freestateproject.org/community/nh_info.php

See you in the Free State...

Brian

FSPTalker

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
  • Home at last!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 07:34:23 pm »

I echo Max's comments and would like to add that Goffstown, a few miles northwest of Manchester, has some of the best schools in NH. Also great scenic beauty as it remains one of the most rural satelite towns bordering Manchester.
Karen and I spent most of our first year here looking for a house across the southern parts of the state and ended up moving just 3 and 1/2 miles from our rental to the place we now own in Goffstown. I wouldn't mind having a couple more Free Staters as neighbors.
There is no try. Do or do not-YODA

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:07:33 am »

Welcome to the forum Sherri, and thanks so much for your decision to join us in NH.  My thinking is pretty much anywhere in NH offers
much in charm and opportunity, but if you are into music, might i suggest Portsmouth or one of the other quaint little cities or towns in the
Seacoast region.  Portsmouth in particular has a thriving music, and art community, and the other small cities, all within easy driving distance, offer ample opportunity for live music, Dover, Rochester, Hampton, and Rye to name just a few.  Boston is also within an hours drive.

Good luck in your search and feel free to touch base with any of the folks on the Welcome Wagon, including me, for any information you may require.

Dave
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:25:17 am »

And don't forget in reach of Durham, home of UNH.  I am attending the University there, and there is a strong musical element there also.  The seacoast offers more mild winters.  Some of the worst storms and the worst cold bypasses the coast.  If you are averse to severe weather, the seacoast is also pretty good.  I like Manchester because a lot of things stay open in the most severe weather.

Any town close to Manchester also gives easy access to lots of specialty stores (including electronics and music stores).  You might want to look at highway 101.  The highway rarely sees traffic, and has no toll roads.  Towns like Epping are small, but are just 20 minutes from Manchester airport and the Mall of New Hampshire.

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 02:45:43 pm »

Deerfield has a company that makes organs. http://www.bozemanorgan.com/

Deerfield is close to Epsom, which has a Montessori that is probably worth checking out. http://www.pathfinderacademy.net/
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 05:07:48 pm »

Deerfield is a nice little town and true Don lives there, and truth the new school bill was just defeated, but>>>> ::)

Probably good to know also! :)  One of Deerfields reps, just moved to Northwood because the taxes in Deerfield are
so dam high!  Thinking if you move there you must fight the new school fight every year, or you will end up being
like Bow! ::)

If you are interested in that general area would highly suggest either Northwood or Epsom, both have better tax rates,
and much more reasonable planning boards.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
Pages: [1]   Go Up