Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RV Park  (Read 10693 times)

glen

RV Park
« on: January 01, 2003, 10:14:10 am »

A friend and I are discussing the construction of an RV park in the future free state.

About the only things agreed on at this time are that it will be:

Off the highway for privacy and quiet,

Be in an all year, resort or dude ranch setting (maybe existing, maybe to be constructed),

Will have daily & weekly spaces out front for the general traveling public and monthly or possibly condo / time share spaces somewhat separate for ‘residents’,

Resident sites will be large enough for full size trailers and motorhomes with two cars and a small shed.

Resident sites will have a measure of privacy with a combination of shrubs, fences and other landscaping features.

I am not soliciting business at this time, but I am interested in what RV orientated porcupines would like to see in an ‘ideal’ RV park.

5pectre

• FSP Participant
  • terrorism is the symptom not the disease -1.5/-7.7
    • home
Re:RV Park
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 10:46:20 am »

what is an rv?

wes237

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 11:08:42 am »

RV ... recreational vehicle : like a travel trailer/camping trailer or a motor home, etc.

Many areas/counties in Texas are dry (no beer  and/or hard booze) can be sold. Many areas have set up a RV park Some people have permanent homes like a mobile home. They rent the space where their home sits.  The owner of the property sets up a RV park, and the people incorporate into a town ... electing a mayor. The only business will typically be a store where alcohol is sold. It is a moneymaker.

Johnny Liberty

• liberty & justice for all
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 03:13:32 pm »

Galt's Gulch RV Park and Campgrounds might include:

General Merchandise & Liquor store
Laundry
Expresso Cafe/Restaurant
Broadband Internet connections
Cable/Satellite TV
Massage Parlor
Gardens
Spa/Hot Tubs
Pool

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2003, 04:19:52 pm by Johnny Liberty »

Zxcv

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 01:38:57 am »

Great idea! I'll be there - especially if you can provide varmint shooting and a rifle range.   ;D

When your first one looks viable, copy it across the state!

glen

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 10:19:07 pm »

OK. So far so good.

I failed to say that the RV park will be within a few miles of a small town where the more common retail services will be available or can be started by interested porcupines.

RV parks which try to duplicate these services wind up with too much overhead and too many organizational hassles. Do-able retail services will probably be restricted to what can be handled by one or two people at the main office front desk.

One service that may work in an RV park will be a ‘hall for rent’.

Does anyone have experience with a general purpose meeting hall that might serve as a model?

Any likes and dislikes about meeting places in general?

This ideal RV park most likely will not have a restaurant, but I thought that the hall for rent could have a simple commercial style kitchen.

Zxcv

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 08:09:39 pm »

Many (if not most) western towns have old Grange halls, typically somewhat in need of TLC, often with interesting architectural features. I've seen these things often up for sale. I think a wonderful thing to do would be to buy such a hall or otherwise associate with the grange association if it is still in operation. These folks need volunteer help, and that's what we are all about, right, gang?

There are lots of things you can do with an old grange hall. Dances, group meetings, holiday celerations, you name it. A big deal in small towns!

Of course the old grange hall would be a different subject than what you are talking about, glen...

alecmuller

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 04:34:14 pm »

Sounds great to me!  I'm a soon-to-be-graduating student and I'm thinking about living out of a motorhome instead of a house if I can swing it.  It would certainly make moving to the Free State a breeze.

As a potential customer, I'd be primarily interested in:

electrical hookups
a dump station
low monthly rates

If the price is right, I'd be willing to pay extra for:

a fair amount of open space (a half acre lot as opposed to a sardine can) in a peaceful location
water and sewage hookups
a shed big enough for a car and a motorcycle

phylinidaho

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 10:17:49 pm »

Sounds great to me!  I'm a soon-to-be-graduating student and I'm thinking about living out of a motorhome instead of a house if I can swing it.  It would certainly make moving to the Free State a breeze.
Sounds great to me too. As a single person of advanced age, I have decided that the most practical way for me to make the move would be via a motor home. As the time nears, I will be seeking advice on the subject. :)

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 07:25:38 pm »

This does sound like a very interesting idea.  It will help with the possible problem of finding a home or low paying job.  RVs are inexpensive (as are motor homes and such) and having a small yard would also lower expenses and taxes.  This would allow people to earn less money than they are used to and still keep a similar quality of life or living standard.  I have thought about moving to a doublewide, before.  

I do not know about other states but in WY I know of a possible choice.  Near Torrington, WY might be a good choice.  The city has around 6,000 people.  Mitchell, NE (with 2,000 people) is only 21 miles from Torrington.  The Scottsbluff/Gering, NE MSA with 27,000 people is only 31 miles from Torrington, WY.  Scottsbluff has small branches of several colleges, a zoo, and a medical center the serves a 90,000+ people region.  Torrington is 56 miles from Lusk, WY (1,500), 61 miles from Wheatland, WY (3,600), 83 miles from Cheyenne (which has a military medical center for retired military), 131 miles from Laramie, 143 miles from Casper, and 229 miles from Denver.   This means your RV Park would be within a 2 hours drive from the 3 largest cities in WY and around 3.5 hours from Denver.

Torrington is a wonderful small town.  The Torrington area is mostly farmland.  However, Torrington is within just a few miles of the mts.  It has all of the common social clubs such as the Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, Lions Club, Moose Club, AARP, Boy Scouts, and the American Legion.  Torrington has a museum, golf course, swimming pool, skate park, and more than a half dozen baseball fields.  A gym, bowling alley, movie theater, and tennis courts are all found in Torrington.   Torrington has 1 of almost every type of church and is home to Eastern Wyoming (Community) College with 1,400 full and part-time students.  Torrington has 19 restaurants including fast food such as Arbys, Taco John's, Subway, Pizza Hut, Hardee's, and Burger King.  Torrington also has the LaFamilia Prado Mexican Food, the Peking Garden, and a catering restaurant.

Torrington is near several attractions.  North Platte River and two streams pass though Torrington.  The Hawk Springs rec. area with boating and canoeing is less than 30 min. south of Torrington.  20 min. from Torrington is the Fort Laramie National Hist. Site and near Scottsbluff there is the Scotts Bluff National Mon.  The Laramie mts. are very close and the huge Glendo Res. is less than an hour away.

Note: Torrington has competition of sometype in the
Travelers Trailer Court & Campground
745 Main St. # 6
Torrington, WY 82240
1-307-532-5517

Links:
Torrington City http://www.city-of-torrington.org/
Eastern Wyoming College http://ewc.wy.edu/visitor/
Scottsbluff City http://www.ci.scottsbluff.ne.us/
Scottsbluff/Gering Chamber of Commerce http://www.scottsbluffgering.net/

Jon Ellis

• FSP Participant
  • In a single seed is the promise of 1000 forests...
    • Jon F. Ellis
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2003, 02:05:20 am »

Great ideas. Average monthly lot rents at RV Parks  I've seen have been about $300, we would need to improve on that and possibly create a timeshare or ownership section, where one could buy a lot.

Maybe a membership park with shares of the corporation giving rights to a lot, and participation in a utilities co-op. We should control as many costs as possible.

Perhaps a solar array could keep us off the power grid as well. I'm making my RV solar.

- Jon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jon F. Ellis
www.JonFEllis.com

SandyPrice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2003, 08:05:02 am »

I owned a doublewide mobile home for 5 years on the coast of California.  I had to move from my 3 story home when my leg surgeries were done.  I bought into a corporation of 80 other mobile homes.  The initial cost was about $35K and my added rents were $180 per month.  We had access to a rec center (which made money for the park as a rental for special ocassions , but free for our usage, a large green grass area for our BBQs and a swimming pool.  We had a library and exercise room.  I paid $35K for my unit rather than bringing in a new one and spent some money doing it over.  I was delighted that this park allowed dogs and cats without size restriction.  I had a small yard for my "Kate" and an area of open space to walk her.  

My legs didn't heal and after 5 years, I moved to the desert heat but I loved the mobile park.  My unit had all the comforts of home!  We had a board of directors who made the rules as we were all share owners of the place.  This also gave us a break on our taxes.  The property taxes on a mobile are much less than a home.

I would be interested in doing this but would need to return to Arizona when the snow arrived.  If I established residence in the state of the FSP I could vote by absentee during the cold months.  My old body could never take the cold winters in Idaho or the other states on the list.  I was thinking of selling my home here and buying a small condo, allowing me to live in the FSP.  I've been trying to figure out how to do it and a mobile home would certainly work out.  

Glen keep working on this, I like it!  I would love to work part time for the park as I have had a lot of sales background (owned ny own book store for years in CA)

The one thing that needs to be mentioned here is that an all around handiman should be available in case of emergencies.  Even new Mobiles run into problems due to improper drainage and sewer blocks.  

The one thing I missed on our park were children.  This was a senior park and I noticed that when grandchildren were visiting and playing ball on the green, we all came out to watch, cheer and even get involved in the games.  My Yellow Lab was delighted to have kids to play with again.  

I probably won't be bringing her as she is old and won't be moved from this home.  The desert heat is doing good things for her too!  

SN Porc

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 11:48:42 am »

An RV park owned and operated by FSPers would be great.

I've planned to live in my RV from the beginning.

The one thing that needs to be mentioned here is that an all around handiman should be available in case of emergencies.  Even new Mobiles run into problems due to improper drainage and sewer blocks.

I also have thirty years experience in carpenter/construction work. Would be willing to work on building a new park, or rehabilitating an existing one. And being a handyman would be right down my alley.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 01:08:57 pm by SN Porc »

Jon Ellis

• FSP Participant
  • In a single seed is the promise of 1000 forests...
    • Jon F. Ellis
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2003, 02:32:58 pm »

I also would be interested in helping to build the park's infrastructure.

Since 1996 I have been involved in providing telecom and utilities to RV parks, campgrounds and resorts. I've done everything from building the local telephone phone exchange, putting in utility pedestals, creating cable TV networks, and wiring for high-spoeed Internet.  

Within the park's cable TV network, we would certainly have a "FSP TV" or "Free State TV" channel, which would have both taped and live events. It would not be subject to FCC regulaions of broadcast television as far as I know, and could be streamed onto the Internet for those outside the park. Not expensive to do at all.

This brings up a point - how big would this park be? Whether it's 100 lots or 1200, it would be good to have expansion room.

Buying an existing park may sound like the easier way to go, but keep in mind the expense and headaches of maintaining the older telephone lines, cable wires, electrical lines, sewer system and water pipes.

My address and credentials, for the record:

www.gatewoodtech.com  
personal website with resume : www.jonfellis.com

- Jon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jon F. Ellis
www.JonFEllis.com

phylinidaho

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2003, 03:34:07 pm »

This sounds really doable. I have entertained the fantasy for several years of buying a motor home and living in that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up