Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commuting to Boston  (Read 2314 times)

A.M. Rush

• I hear the train a-comin'
Commuting to Boston
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:02:28 am »

As a copy editor, I know there isn't a huge pool of jobs available for me. So I'm already assuming that when I make the move to New Hampshire, I'll have to commute to Boston for work. That doesn't bother me. But I'm curious about a couple of things.

First, I keep reading about people from Massachusetts who are flocking north of the state line. Does that mean that southern NH is full of eager statists?

Second, what about income taxes? I know from my reading here that if I work in Boston, I have to pay Massachusetts state income taxes. But can I get those taxes reimbursed come filing time, since I'm not a resident? Back when I worked in Indiana and lived in Michigan, I paid taxes to the local Indiana municipality throughout the year but was able to get that money back at the end of the tax year. As state taxes go, I admit I don't know how any reciprocation between MA and NH would work -- when I worked in IN, I still paid income taxes to MI, not to IN, since the two states had such an arrangement set up for out-of-state workers. But since NH has no state tax, I don't know how any such arrangement would work, if there is any such arrangement at all.

And third, what commuting options, if any, are available to folks living in southern NH? Does the T run any trains or buses that far out? I don't mind having to drive, but I admit to being spoiled by public transportation here in northern Virginia. (Yes, I know, it's PUBLIC transportation, but it'll have to do till somebody comes up with a privately run alternative. ;))

Thanks for your replies!
---
AMR
"Political ends, as sad remains, will die." --Jon Anderson

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re: Commuting to Boston
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:36:44 am »

Most people who move from MA to NH are fairly anti-tax.  Your mileage may vary on any other sentiments they bring with them.  The border towns tend to vote Republican more than towns north of them.

You'll pay 5.3% and like it.  You can not like it, but you'll still pay 5.3%.

There are buses and trains.  The commuter rail runs as far north as Haverhill or Lowell in Massachusetts, which means you'd have to drive there and pay for parking.  From what I hear the parking lots fill up as early as 7am.  And if your job isn't near north station, it could be less fun using the subway to get to where you want to go.  A friend of mine commuted from Newburyport (right near the NH border) to Boston, but he worked near south station, so he took a bus rather than the train, as there's no quick way to get from north station to south station.

Perhaps you can find work that will allow you to telecommute.

A.M. Rush

• I hear the train a-comin'
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:41:12 am »

You'll pay 5.3% and like it.  You can not like it, but you'll still pay 5.3%.

Oh, I won't like it, but it sounds like I'd have no choice if I did make the daily hike to Boston.

Perhaps you can find work that will allow you to telecommute.

I'm looking into that. It's possible I might be able to keep my current job here in Alexandria and work remotely. Quite a few people do that now for the company. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input.
---
AMR
"Political ends, as sad remains, will die." --Jon Anderson

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 12:16:46 pm »

And third, what commuting options, if any, are available to folks living in southern NH? Does the T run any trains or buses that far out? I don't mind having to drive, but I admit to being spoiled by public transportation here in northern Virginia. (Yes, I know, it's PUBLIC transportation, but it'll have to do till somebody comes up with a privately run alternative. ;))

Thanks for your replies!

Check out the website,
http://www.mbta.com/

It will plan your trips for you and tell you all about them.  Also, Amtrak's Portland to Boston Downeaster goes through NH.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321869&ssid=134
Pages: [1]   Go Up