Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way to Effect Change?  (Read 2385 times)

allan1

• FSP Participant
Best Way to Effect Change?
« on: December 30, 2002, 06:09:59 pm »

I just found out about this project (from Walter Williams' Web site) and think it's a pretty cool idea.  But if I join this effort and agree to move to the Free State, have I given up on the rest of society?  By staying in one of the other 49 less-free states, maybe I can make a contribution there that will improve the quality of life of everyone in some small way.  How does one decide if their impact will be greater by pulling out and joining like-minded people in a separate state or by staying put and working within the system there?

Do most of the people signing on for the FSP assume that it's hopeless to do anything else?  Maybe by going to your own Free State, others in the country will find out about it and want to follow.  Then when that state becomes overpopulated, a second Free State could be started.  Is that kind of the model you have in mind?

Interested in your thoughts.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Best Way to Effect Change?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 07:13:14 pm »

In general the impact of a group of people increases geometrically with the size of the group, up to a certain point.  So one person has very little impact, and so do two people, twenty people, even 100 people on a state level.  But after about 1,000 people, you start to have a significant impact on policy, and this impact increases by leaps and bounds as the size of the group of activists increases.

By remaining scattered throughout the country, we will probably continue to accomplish what we have been accomplishing: defeating a new regulation or spending program here and there, but generally not being able to halt the growth of government, let alone reverse it.

By freeing a single state, we increase our chances of freeing the rest of the country as well.  Once a "free state" exists, it will draw individuals and businesses from the rest of the country (and the world), forcing other states (and even countries) to free up their own economies to avoid economic decline.  Also, the example of freedom in action will provide an example for activists around the world.  We will finally have a "freedom laboratory."
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 08:56:01 pm »

Welcome, freeman!  
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Zxcv

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 12:30:07 pm »

Far from having given up on the rest, FSP allows you to help them more than ever!

Welcome to our project. Now go out and recruit another.   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up