Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Trip To New Hampshire  (Read 8986 times)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Re:My Trip To New Hampshire
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2003, 09:53:23 am »

I do not know how NH could have the beauty of the west if it is in the Northeast.  

I guess you’ve never been to NH. ;)

Plenty of cheap land sounds kind of silly.  Not only is much of the land very expensive in NH, but NH has the highest property taxes in the country.  

Here are a few of the properties Trevor S. and I looked at. We have digital photos if anyone wants to view them, but adamant NH detractors should beware. The photos are SPECTACULAR!
28.07 acres   $42,500.00      Milan, NH
291 acres   $109,000.00      Columbia, NH
100 acres   $35,000.00      Columbia, NH
150 acres   $81,000.00      Columbia, NH
97 acres   $83,000.00      Berlin, NH          taxes $83.00 annually

We have more, but this is a start.

Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2003, 10:02:10 am »

Actually, I'll be posting a link to thumbnails of ALL the photos we took over at my rant site fanaticism.com. That will be available sometime this weekend, and I'll link it from this forum.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2003, 10:34:28 am »

That link give me an error message.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2003, 10:36:29 am »

I believe you have to join the group.
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Rich T.

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free in NH!
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2003, 03:19:14 pm »

NH does sound beautiful, but what was posted here, it does give one a pause of concern.
Toll roads, they aren't bad IF there isn't a lot of them. Otherwise people might be forced to remain at home due to the fact they can't afford to drive down those toll roads.

If memory serves, there's a total of 3 toll roads in the state. One in the central part, around Manchester, and two in the far eastern part of the state. And you can buy a roll tokens which cuts the cost of a toll in half.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2003, 08:53:16 am »

Overall, I got the impression that NH was a small state with lots of lakes and woods, a lot of history and people who had lived there a long time and a love for more personal freedom and less state involvement. The same love for non-involvement by others would make it tough for any group to come in and change things.

My cousin and his family from the West, who lived in New Hampshire while attending law school, came away with almost the exact same impression as this.  

My neighbor,  from Canadian Alberta, who lived and worked in New Hampshire for a year said almost the exact same thing too, except his words were something like, "if you have three generations buried in the local cemetary then you are a full-fledged local".  Granted, his impression came as both a foreigner and having only stayed for a year.

Overall, I got the impression that NH was a small state with lots of lakes and woods
Ah, it's refreshing to hear New Hampshire as being labeled "small" for a change, you'd think that after hanging around this message board for a while that Idaho, New Hampshire, and Maine were on par with California or something! 8)

I guess I can't really dispute opinions (everyone is entitled to one) except to say that I think that for every person who has this impression about New Hampshire you will find ten who say the opposite. I'm pretty sure that Joe posted some research showing that a rather high percentage of the people in New Hampshire are not even natives. As someone who has lived in NH for 12 years, and on the ME/NH border for most of the rest of my life, I would have to say that most Granite Staters are quite tolerant of other ideas and other people, no matter where they have come from - the exception being those who bring statist politics with them.

This description sounds more like ME to me. As I said, I lived on the ME/NH border most of my early life. When I got married, we moved more north to a small ME town. Even though we were technically Mainers, lived in that town for 2.5 years, and were very integrally involved in the commmunity, we were always regarded as the outsiders. I was not sad when we moved from there to New Hampshire  :)

Michelle, just to let you know, I actually came away more impressed by this, I left-out that the people in New Hampshire are pleasant, which is what I said back in March when I first disclosed this conversation with my cousin.  Being pleasant and resisting outside influence or "loving non-involvement by others" are not mutually exclusive.  This just points to an independent minded people, which I am sure is the case in New Hampshire.
As to my Canadian neighbor's negative experience in New Hampshire, you seem to have cleared-up what was going on, he lived in a rural part of NH  near the border of Maine, as his company was located in Maine, so I would take this as even more evidence that most Porcupines had better go easy if they are moving to Northern New Hampshire.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up