Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: establishing residency- can's and can'ts for visitors  (Read 9973 times)

caroline

• I'm a llama!
establishing residency- can's and can'ts for visitors
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:38:15 am »

My other half and I haven't established official residency yet because we're staying at a residential hotel and the DMV said that the rent receipt from that is not enough for proof of residency. I want to settle into a lease agreement ASAP, but my husband wants us to take our time and research/tour as many places as possible before deciding, and possibly stay here at the res. inn for a few months because we have everything we need here in a convenient location at a very reasonable price. (I must admit that when we check out of this place I'll be sad to lose the maid service ;D)

So my question is: besides converting driver's license, converting car license plate, and voting in state elections (which I wouldn't have to be concerned with anytime soon anyway), are there any other practical matters that cannot be dealt with until official residency is established here?

thanks for any pointers!

brontus

Re: establishing residency- can's and can'ts for visitors
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:09 am »

That's odd. In NJ, I know a woman who has lived in motels exclusively for the last 4 years, and hasn't had any problems with the MVC (previously MVS, previously DMV) or anywhere else.  All of her bills are addressed to a PO Box, which I am certain will not proove residency.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:05:47 pm »

We stayed in motels and extended stay hotels for about 8 weeks last year before taking an apartment. We had a mailbox(private) which is an address. We got a bank account. We changed our car insurance. We bought a short term medical policy. We did not change our driver licenses or car registration or voter registration until we were settled. We even got a refund from our old state of residence for the unused car registration.

Cathleen

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:29:52 pm »

Do it the better way and stop using the driver's license & plate system!  ;D
I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...

kuhnzoo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:30:30 am »

If you or your husband hunt or fish, you cannot get a RESIDENT hunting / fishing license until 6 months AFTER you establish residency. If you do not hunt or fish then this is obviously a non-issue.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Power Penguin

• LG Coordinator / First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I know where (some of) you live!
    • Protect your property from theft!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 08:57:22 pm »

That's odd. In NJ, I know a woman who has lived in motels exclusively for the last 4 years, and hasn't had any problems with the MVC (previously MVS, previously DMV) or anywhere else.  All of her bills are addressed to a PO Box, which I am certain will not proove residency.

That's probably a combination of a couple of things:

Either:

1. She knows someone there and got a favor or bribe,
2. They really are just that lax over there, or
3. A combination of the above.

Personally, I would do #1 because I don't want the SOBs knowing where I live. Also public records like that and voting registrar are easy to get ahold of and I've heared too many horror stories of people getting stalked, robbed, and killed for me to risk that myself 8-)
Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?

AaronH

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Help fight tyranny in NH!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:29:03 am »

At one point, I was registered to vote, but the state would not issue a drivers license, because they said I "didn't reside here".
I told them if I "didn't live here" then I didnt have to worry about  getting my NH license within 60 days, and that my Missouri license
would only be valid for nine more years!  Luckily, Missouri has a ten year issue period, and my address was for a PO BOX!  Needless to say, they finally gave me one, after requiring a forest of paperwork.  :P

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 11:00:29 am »

Of course, one could also obtain a lease on a residence for little money, particularly by splitting the expense with some house-mates...

Like this one, for instance! ;D

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 03:55:38 pm »

Of course, one could also obtain a lease on a residence for little money, particularly by splitting the expense with some house-mates...

Like this one, for instance! ;D

Joe

Yeah, I would recommend getting a group together for a time-share arrangement, or lease a lodge or chalet that sleeps 10-12 people, putting everyones names on the lease, or if you don't, print up letters by whoevers name is on the lease for each person residing there to use to prove residency.

Furthermore, in registering to vote, all you need to do is submit an affidavit stating that you are a resident, giving that address. The Board of Elections and local List people have these. Perhaps someone can post up a PDF for people to use.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

seamas

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

In NJ a lot of people avoid registering their cars here because of the extremely high insurance rates.  The MVC is pretty lax, most likely because no one who didn't actually live here would claim to do so.  They are pretty lax about voting too and I suspect our legendarily corrupt political machines have something to do with that.

In terms of NH can's and can'ts you also cannot buy firearms or get a resident carry permit without establishing residency. 

What I've found to be ambiguous is one's status if one has multiple residences inluding one outside of NH.  See this thread http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=10760.0 for some details.  My reading of the law is that even if you live in a motel but are intending NH to be your permanent home (esp. if you have no other residence) you should be able to establish residency.  I suspect that it depends on how reasonable the person you are dealing with is and how persistant you are willing to be but just living in a motel doesn't deny you residency according to the law, if not the common practise.

That's probably a combination of a couple of things:

Either:

1. She knows someone there and got a favor or bribe,
2. They really are just that lax over there, or
3. A combination of the above.

Personally, I would do #1 because I don't want the SOBs knowing where I live. Also public records like that and voting registrar are easy to get ahold of and I've heared too many horror stories of people getting stalked, robbed, and killed for me to risk that myself 8-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up