Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: public Vs private  (Read 7150 times)

solomon

• FSP Participant
  • evolution did not end with us growing thumbs
    • my myspace
public Vs private
« on: November 12, 2005, 03:30:32 am »

hello all. this is my first post, although i have been here since {nearly} the beginning.
i have something of a quandry, however. i'm going to school next year to get my teaching certificate--i want to teach hs history. i fully realize our public school system is a mess. my young brother and sister are being homeschooled by my mother, and at 5 and 2 are some of the most intelligent children i have ever encountered. my own children will certainly be homeschooled as well. but i am a product of the public school system, and although i did not graduate from a brick and mortar school, it was throughout that experience that i began to cultivate my love of history, religion and politics, as well as realize my thirst for knowledge. all i want to do is pass some of that on to the next generation, those in the public school system. is it wrong to want to improve a system that is surely destined for faliure?
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are<br />to stand by the president,   right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic ans<br />servile, but is morally treasonable--Theodore Roosevelt

Gabo

• FSP Participant
Re: public Vs private
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:47:43 pm »

There's nothing wrong with trying to shed some light on the dying public school system.
At least there will be ONE good history teacher that can teach things like they were meant, rather than from a pro-government standpoint.

But, be wary.
It's not going to be very easy doing government protests when they are your employer.
Some people might also consider you a hypocrite.  :-\
I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 05:22:30 pm »

hello all. this is my first post, although i have been here since {nearly} the beginning.
i have something of a quandry, however. i'm going to school next year to get my teaching certificate--i want to teach hs history. i fully realize our public school system is a mess. my young brother and sister are being homeschooled by my mother, and at 5 and 2 are some of the most intelligent children i have ever encountered. my own children will certainly be homeschooled as well. but i am a product of the public school system, and although i did not graduate from a brick and mortar school, it was throughout that experience that i began to cultivate my love of history, religion and politics, as well as realize my thirst for knowledge. all i want to do is pass some of that on to the next generation, those in the public school system. is it wrong to want to improve a system that is surely destined for faliure?

It's not wrong, but it's also not possible; you have to teach the POLITICALLY CORRECT version of history-- whatever that may be.
If you start teaching that Lincoln, Wilson and FDR were tyrants, you'll be on the streets faster than you can say "revision."
And if you don't, you'll be a liar.

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:14:41 am »

If you start teaching that Lincoln, Wilson and FDR were tyrants, you'll be on the streets faster than you can say "revision."
You could always just wait till you get tenure, and then they can never fire you!

God Bless Bureaucracy!  ;)
I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:32:19 am »

Solomon,
 Have you read John Taylor Gatto's book, "The Underground History of American History"? If not, I would suggest you do. It is eye-opening. Gatto was teacher of the year in NYC and New York state, one year. He tried to do what you are suggesting.
 To read it on-line, go to:
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 03:12:52 am »

Solomon,
 Have you read John Taylor Gatto's book, "The Underground History of American History"? If not, I would suggest you do. It is eye-opening. Gatto was teacher of the year in NYC and New York state, one year. He tried to do what you are suggesting.
 To read it on-line, go to:
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

Bravo! I love this book already,

However starting out, I think he is too kind: he states:

"In my dream I see Bianca as a fiend manufactured by schooling who now regards Janey as a vehicle for vengeance. In a transport of passion she:

1. Gives Jane’s car a ticket before the meter runs out.
   2. Throws away Jane’s passport application after Jane leaves the office.
   3. Plays heavy metal music through the thin partition which separates Bianca’s apartment from Jane’s while Jane pounds frantically on the wall for relief.
   4. All the above. "

Actually he doesn't get it-- in reality, Bianca will vote for statist-politicians, and will sit on juries where she will vote "guilty" against otherwise law-abiding  people who carry guns in violation of gun-control laws, while voting "not guilty" against cops who violate people's rights. In short, Bianca will become a STATIST SHEEP, who responds on cue like a pavlovian dog.
He fears that people will become angry and spiteful, but in reality they will become something much worse: statist-minded.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 06:01:42 pm by BrianMcCandliss »

solomon

• FSP Participant
  • evolution did not end with us growing thumbs
    • my myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 04:15:10 am »

thank you all so much...the gatto book is fascinating thus far, and to be honest, i had never thought about the lies i was fed in school, i just kind of figured i could give a more objective view. sort of let them make their own decisions about what i am teaching, and help them realize that there are different outlets for information. perhaps i am too idealistic, but i have talked a lot of bush supporters out of backing him in taverns, so i know i can be very persuasive. another idea i was tossing around was starting a homeschool-school...for those that want our children taught correctly, but do not have the time to home school themselves. i've noticed a lot of people in that situation.
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are<br />to stand by the president,   right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic ans<br />servile, but is morally treasonable--Theodore Roosevelt

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 01:16:59 pm »

another idea i was tossing around was starting a homeschool-school...for those that want our children taught correctly, but do not have the time to home school themselves. i've noticed a lot of people in that situation.

Good idea. More and more people wish to pull their children out of public schools, but their options are limited.

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 06:06:54 pm »

thank you all so much...the gatto book is fascinating thus far, and to be honest, i had never thought about the lies i was fed in school, i just kind of figured i could give a more objective view. sort of let them make their own decisions about what i am teaching, and help them realize that there are different outlets for information. perhaps i am too idealistic, but i have talked a lot of bush supporters out of backing him in taverns, so i know i can be very persuasive. another idea i was tossing around was starting a homeschool-school...for those that want our children taught correctly, but do not have the time to home school themselves. i've noticed a lot of people in that situation.

You might start a private school, where you educated a group of kids from age 6, to obtain a G.E.D-- and also teach them how to do well in college and standardized tests, apply for jobs, start a small business etc. That's what kids really need-- a "family teacher" who can manage their primary education from the start to the finish, just like a family doctor who knows them and their situation--  not just being shuffled from one different random teacher year after year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up