Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing season in New Hampshire?  (Read 15247 times)

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Growing season in New Hampshire?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 04:43:17 pm »

I hope you can't grow Brussel Sprouts in NH, I hate them.
Plants in the cabbage family (including cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi and, yes, Brussels sprouts) grow very well in the area.  Don't worry, I'll eat your Brussels sprouts.  With a nice cheese sauce made from Vermont cheddar.

Ward you are a fine fellow, not only will you make Chile, you will take care of the scary vegtables. Thanks.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 08:35:01 pm »

I won't do a damn thing with Chile, that country can go its own way (it alternates between communist and fascist like there was a difference, like the local red and blue states).  I'll do what I can with chiles and make chili.  Once I open my restaurant, some strange veggies may show up in the "de jour" pot now and again.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 09:10:48 pm »

Sorry about that spelling error  Ward.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

brontus

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 09:18:15 pm »

I won't do a damn thing with Chile, that country can go its own way (it alternates between communist and fascist like there was a difference, like the local red and blue states).  I'll do what I can with chiles and make chili.  Once I open my restaurant, some strange veggies may show up in the "de jour" pot now and again.

Now I'll eat brussel sprouts in a nice butter or cheese sauce, but I think I'll stay away from the little buggers in my chilli.  Now cauliflower, I bet that would be good in chili. I'll have to try that sometime.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 09:45:30 pm »

Once I'm open, call ahead for what'll be in the "de jour".  Might be a while, I've never put kole veggies into even veggie chili.  And I taste even that kind of stuff whether I want to or not.  I like stuff that holds texture after a long simmer and cabbage family doesn't.  Most veggie chili recipes rely on beans and/or tofu to provide texture, I use beans and mushrooms since I hate tofu.  (There will be no beans in the real chili I serve, that's a side dish).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

brontus

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2005, 09:58:53 pm »

Uhoh, I hope the 'shrooms are in the side.  Me and fungus don't play well together.  Never had tofu so I can't comment on that. 

If I get my farm like I want, maybe I'll be able to supply u with corn for your chilli.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

freedominnh

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 03:22:50 pm »

We grow most vegetables and flowers from seed starting seed in seed- starter and vermiculite during Feb. thru March under growlights on top of heating mats in our second floor.  As Spring progresses plants are transplanted into enclosed porch under growlights.  You can still get frost up until Memorial Day, so  tomatoes go in the ground later than NJ and CT.  Frost can arrive as early as early Oct, but we usually get through Oct.  Cold frames work great for lettuce, spinich, cilantro, etc.  Always time for a second crop of peas, if you pay attention to calender.  I have cold frames not together as of now.  Still have lettuce, cilantro uncovered.  Haven't looked out there the past two days. however (little nippy).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:17:53 am by freedominnh »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up