Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing season in New Hampshire?  (Read 15240 times)

Parisjune93

Growing season in New Hampshire?
« on: October 26, 2005, 10:31:42 pm »

Hi,

My husband and I are eager to cut our ties with "society" as much as possible (i.e., producing our own meat/fruit/vegetables).

Could someone give me an idea of what the growing season is like in New Hampshire? What are others out there growing?

Thanks

PJ

lloydbob1

Re: Growing season in New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 08:11:06 am »

Clearly, at one time New Hampshire had subsistance farming where families grew and raised all that they needed to consume.
The length of the growing season varies from longer in the south to shorter in the north.  This presents a problem for Homesteaders as the southern part of the state is more densely populated, less land is available and land is more expensive.  The cheaper land is in the north where it is colder, longer.
I googled Homesteading in New Hampshire and didn't find much.  There was more under: Agriculture in New Hampshire.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 08:45:52 am »

My parents and grand-parents grew up in Whitefield. All had large gardens and did a lot of canning. My father always used to say don't plant your garden 'til Memorial Day, except peas a week earlier. In the southern part of NH it is a weel or so longer season at either end. First frost in northern NH comes in late September or early Oct. Again, about a week later in southern NH.
What do folks grow? Vegetable gardens; corn, cukes, squash, peas, beans, lettuce, chard, herbal gardens, potatoes, anything without a real long growing season.
Fruit: apples, peaches, cherries, pears, raspberries, blueberries.
Lots of corn for sileage, as there are, or were, lots of dairy farms.
More and more, people are raising sheep, goats, horses, beef cattle, even llamas and alpacas.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:46:23 am »

You could buy more land in the north and using the savings to build a greenhouse.

Parisjune93

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 06:07:15 pm »

Sounds good. More variety than I thought.  :D

Going to visit next summer.

PJ

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 10:12:31 am »

See the book "Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long" by Eliot Coleman, who lives in Maine. And he does grow tomatoes.

Diana

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 10:34:55 am »

See the book "Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long" by Eliot Coleman, who lives in Maine. And he does grow tomatoes.

Diana

Definitely tomatoes!! Everyone grows tomatoes.  :)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 10:38:48 am »

Yup, my grandmother grew tomatoes in Laconia for half a century.  Any left unripened by the first killing frost (generally quite a few, maybe a quarter of the season's yield) became a horrid relish-like substance called piccalilli.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 11:28:58 am »

You might like 'piccalilli relish', now that you're an adult grown older, Chilli Man!

brontus

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 01:32:54 pm »

Definitely tomatoes!! Everyone grows tomatoes.  :)

That's because tomatoes are easy to grow.  From the time I was 14 I grew tomatoes and peppers in my garden every summer until the aphids overran my property.  Now the only thing I've been able to grow that doesn't get eaten by insects are onions.

Now does anyone have any experience growing corn?  In general, and in NH specifically.  I don't particularly care about what variety, as I'd be growing it for oil/ethanol production.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

Parisjune93

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 05:35:15 pm »

Thanks for the book recommendation.

PJ

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 11:30:43 pm »

Now does anyone have any experience growing corn?  In general, and in NH specifically.  I don't particularly care about what variety, as I'd be growing it for oil/ethanol production.

Corn is another crop most folks grow. Sweet corn is the most popular. I love it when the farm stands open every year. We also have lots of Farmers Markets, where farmers can sell stuff in a co-op type, outdoor marketplace.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 12:31:41 am »

I hope you can't grow Brussel Sprouts in NH, I hate them.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 08:55:03 am »

I hope you can't grow Brussel Sprouts in NH, I hate them.
Plants in the cabbage family (including cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi and, yes, Brussels sprouts) grow very well in the area.  Don't worry, I'll eat your Brussels sprouts.  With a nice cheese sauce made from Vermont cheddar.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

lloydbob1

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 08:58:19 am »

I grew Brussel Sprouts one year when i saw a picture of the plant on the seed package.  Looked like it was from outer space.  You can pick the sprouts untill early December!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up