Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Seditious Ramblings  (Read 113982 times)

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re: Seditious Ramblings
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2005, 08:11:21 am »

I am going to correct that.

Well, isn't that generous of you.  Do you care much if other members disagree with you?  Or are you so patently right that it doesn't matter?
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2005, 08:13:06 am »

Ok people say there are not enough ideas.

1. Better BOD meeting minutes.
2. A specific plan by the board for the upcoming year for:
 Â    How many members for certain deadlines. (Goals)
 Â    How to raise more money.
 Â    How to spend that money wisely.
 Â    How to teach people how to recruit.
 Â    Plans to get the new people very active
 Â    Plans to give more info about NH so people can move.
3.  Open communication about the above.
4.  Something like the activist army where the 'gogetters' want to do more.  (I have no idea why it failed but all the people bitching on this forum can either join or be quiet.  -- or at least put your dick back in your pants.)
5.  Plan some way of commenting, without comprising the FSP goals, when activists do take action. (and maybe that is being done and the reporters aren't reporting-- but if that is the case then the FSP should then get a retraction or post the full story on the website)
6. Excite the local groups

I am sure there are other ideas.
I really don't care about elections. But if people are too busy they should step down and let someone with the time/energy to join the board.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2005, 08:16:50 am »

I posted favorably in response to Dreepa on the Underground... So another, "Amen!" from me here. ;)
www.ronpaulhq.com

jeanius

« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2005, 08:23:59 am »

And a cheer from me too Dreepa.  Constructive rational suggestions!  I'll work on the minutes.  Meetings already done will be as always.  I'll see what we can come up with for future meetings.

Jean

lloydbob1

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2005, 08:33:50 am »

Hello all,

I haven't even begun to read the 8 pages of this thread; I've been too busy responding to phone calls and personal emails.

In regards to my remarks about Jason and Amanda, I would like to clarify that I don't for a second doubt their sincerity to the FSP. I know that they both intend to move to New Hampshire at some point.  My remarks were intended to comment on an apparent conflict between the recently announced new FSP policy of encouraging FSP participants to move as soon as possible, and the recent career changes the two of them have made.  I based my remarks on public postings each of them has made, as well as public postings I have already seen made by others. I didn't think that either of them would appreciate my remarks, but they were intended to be constructive for the FSP, not personal attacks against them as individuals. Based on private feedback I have received (like I said, I haven't even had time to read what this thread says yet), I see that I misjudged how hurtful my remarks would be.

Jason and Amanda have both given far more to the development of the FSP than I have or could. It would not even exist if not for both of them. I don't want either of them to leave, I admire and respect both of them, and I am sincerely sorry for any pain or embarassment I have caused either of them. I didn't ask them what their relocation plans were, I just speculated and then posted it publicly. It was very bad form. I apologize to both of them.

--Sandy

Well said, Sandy, but, the potential members we're not reaching, don't know anything about what Jason and Amanda are doing.  I don't believe their activities are behind our inability to recruit.

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2005, 08:43:59 am »

And a cheer from me too Dreepa.  Constructive rational suggestions!  I'll work on the minutes.  Meetings already done will be as always.  I'll see what we can come up with for future meetings.

Howabout a recording? Would that be so difficult?

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2005, 09:03:11 am »

1. Better BOD meeting minutes.
3.  Open communication about the above.

While I understand the frustration over short minutes, I'd point to overall communication problems as the real problem, not just short minutes.  Solve communication issues better and the minutes don't matter.

2. A specific plan by the board for the upcoming year for:
     How many members for certain deadlines. (Goals)

Agreed.... but that depends on volunteers and recruitment.

How to raise more money.

Money raising has not really been an issue.  History says that we can count on funds for concrete projects

How to spend that money wisely.

The arguments over spending money on a PR firm were mostly about that.  It's a #1 concern.

How to teach people how to recruit.

See #4 on the AA.  Easier said than done.

Plans to get the new people very active

If you have one, please share it.  I think too many of us are stumped based on past failures to do just that.

Plans to give more info about NH so people can move.

As former NH Info head, the lack of infrastructure (and general chaos, resistance, infighting, etc etc) hampered much of that... and I found myself focusing more and more on better ways to get info out there.  The newsletter and improved mailings was one growth of that, and website improvements are another....   The info is there, it's been clumped together on one page, which was always on my todo list to fix and got pushed back again and again because at least it was there on one page now, and the few volunteers for help to fix it, despite requests a few times, kept disappearing silently, instead of producing new Info pages as they promised to...

Jean is now actively working to revamp the NH Info pages as her primary goal, while I continue to focus on infrastructure for information in general.  "groupware" is code for "infrastructure for better communication".

The information is out there now, don't expect "brand new" info to appear, just better presentation (important I grant you).... I find the biggest resistance comes from those who want a job ahead of time and cheap housing handed to them on platters, along with warm weather and  no family stress in moving.  Not much NH info can do there....

4.  Something like the activist army where the 'gogetters' want to do more.  (I have no idea why it failed but all the people bitching on this forum can either join or be quiet.  -- or at least put your dick back in your pants.)

As one of the people behind the Activist Army (Jean and I were the main force behind that, writing most of it ourselves, and tracking results), I'll tell you that the response was disappointingly small, despite our attempting to make the initial group small enough to have potentially good results.  We didn't publicize it heavily, wanting only those who really wanted to help recruit to join us, and have a good percentage of response in our first attempt. [ In other words, having just 50 committed people is better than 500 uncommitted people who just join because we pushed them into it]  The number of people who took _any_ action was way under 10% of the total signed up, and without naming names, I can safely say that few if any of the 'dick wagglers' did much of anything at all.  Most of those who did are in 'leadership' in some form now.

AA was a failure, despite starting small, giving out bite sized assignments meant to be easily fufilled, and asking only those already paying close attention to the FSP to get involved.  As a result, I lost much faith in the membership.  I was a big proponent of getting the membership active... and yet the results just were not there....   If you can't bother to post 10 flyers for the FSP, are you really going to move cross county to NH, and then hold signs, knock on doors, and be politically involved?  Of course not...  At this point, even of those who have moved, the 10% rule still applies.... and I expect it will continue, based on the nonsense some vocal anti-political members continue to waste the time and energy of everyone else on.  Those of us working politically have an uphill fight against some of our own radical fringes, sadly enough.
If I could change the SOI, I'd add the word 'politically within the system', as we can do the most there, and most of the radical fringe don't even register to vote, let along run for office.

5.  Plan some way of commenting, without comprising the FSP goals, when activists do take action. (and maybe that is being done and the reporters aren't reporting-- but if that is the case then the FSP should then get a retraction or post the full story on the website)

I'm against comments, but for noting actions.  My suggested solution has been to just have a running feed of news stories (ala Google News).  No 'Yes, we support this', but also no 'We don't support this', merely a running list of 'news'.  We're much closer to that now than we were 6 months, and we need to automate it, and not cherry pick.  The FSP should stay neutral: be the umbrella - reach out to people who might disagree with 20%, but agree with 80%...  The radical fundamentalists should not be in control, on any level.  Disclaimer it all with a simple "This is the latest activist news in NH according to Google' style notice...

6. Excite the local groups

Sounds good.  How?

I really don't care about elections. But if people are too busy they should step down and let someone with the time/energy to join the board.

Elections were tried and failed.   Lack of response among other reasons, as well as a simple fact: current leadership is mostly based on people who have contributed energy and gotten involved.
 I can't tell you the number of volunteers we'd have who disappear without ever producing what they promised they would.

Want to be a leader?  If you volunteer, in short fashion, you will be.  That isn't to say I don't have problems with current leadership.... I do... and they know it... but I don't think elections are the answer... holding people responsible is.... and some people are being held responsible these days... which is a slow change from the past.

CP ridgerunner

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2005, 09:21:52 am »

Can and does.  see http://pd.freetalklive.com

Ok, I see the show goes out over 1470- AM out of Alcoa/ Maryville TN. which is just outside of Knoxville. I did not know that because I never listen to AM, I will have to see if I can pick up that station.                       
  WGOW out of CHattanooga has both an FM and an AM, I think the FM has a bigger audience. The night time weekday slots are filled with Duke and the DR.,Laura Ingram( damn I can't stand  that show, at least Savage let counter callers on even if he did call them names)  Phil Henry and Coast To Coast. So probally it would have the be one of the weekend slots. Does it have to be on live?

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2005, 10:01:00 am »

Elections were tried and failed.   Lack of response among other reasons, as well as a simple fact: current leadership is mostly based on people who have contributed energy and gotten involved.
 I can't tell you the number of volunteers we'd have who disappear without ever producing what they promised they would.

Want to be a leader?  If you volunteer, in short fashion, you will be.  That isn't to say I don't have problems with current leadership.... I do... and they know it... but I don't think elections are the answer... holding people responsible is.... and some people are being held responsible these days... which is a slow change from the past.
Well said.  Probably the single biggest misconception here is the handful of volunteer Board members somehow can make the FSP happen, and that they are somehow blocking others from involvement.  I have always considered the FSP to be something akin to Linux, and my #1 priority has always been decentralization.  To advertise ways to get involved, I made both these two pages:
http://www.freestateproject.org/about/organization.php
http://www.freestateproject.org/getinvolved/activistcenter.php

No one is going to jump from Forum debatertarian directly Board member, but it's not that hard, either.  We're desperately short of doers, as talkers outnumber them 10:1.  And thanks, but we don't need volunteers who promise to deliver and then disappear, leaving us wondering whether to replace them or keep begging them to come back.  We need self starters, responsible people capable of seeing a project through to completion.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2005, 10:22:51 am »

The self starters are going around you.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2005, 10:32:27 am »

I am going to correct that.

Well, isn't that generous of you.  Do you care much if other members disagree with you?  Or are you so patently right that it doesn't matter?
There are nearly 7000 FSP participants--how can the FSP express a position that all, or even a majority, agree upon?  We have only one common denominator:

When I speak for the FSP, I can only offer our mission statement, and perhaps hint at how it applies to a given situation.  But again: the FSP is just the bus, and there are other organizations within New Hampshire to implement reform.  Why should the FSP step on their territory?  Our own mission is challenging enough.  But really, this sort of difficulty doesn't come up often.  Kate, you'll notice that this particular howler monkey is pretty short on concrete examples, both of our own failings and his own accomplishments.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2005, 11:13:29 am »

More ideas.

Reapproach the following Orgs

Cato
National LP
State LPs in surrounding States
National RLC
State RLC in surrounding States
NORML
National DLC
State RLC in surround States
National NRA
Local Gun clubs
Any libertarian minded org.

Tell them it is time to stand up and be counted.. that they should mention the FSP and give the FSP a formal endorsement.
Yes I know they have been tried before..
Someone once mentioned that the LP wants to have 5000 more members.. Tell them that the FSP can help with recuitment of those 5000 if they help us.  Hell I would join the LP ( then they only need 4999 more  ;) )

I have no contact with any of these groups so I wouldn't be of much use but I think that many people in the FSP are part of some of these groups.

Just throwing out ideas  feel free to attack them now.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2005, 11:21:29 am »

Not attacking...  Some of that can be done and some can't; we can't promise, for example, to help a political party if they mention us.  That doesn't mean that we can't find some other way to make an endorsement (of us) attractive to them...  But the reality also is that as national parties, these folks do better spread out; imagine the reaction of 49 state LPs if the national LP told everyone to move to New Hampshire.  I don't know how to work around that, but I know it's a problem.

We do have a bazillion resources that I don't think we're using to the hilt, and I've posted about that on the forum ad nauseum.  I still believe that the Liaisons program should be completely overhauled, and I believe that effective group outreach might depend on that.  (See http://forum.freestateproject.org//index.php?topic=10472.0)  Doesn't appear to be a popular idea, and I'm too busy with other things to lend enough of a hand. 

www.ronpaulhq.com

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2005, 11:27:55 am »

Not attacking...  Some of that can be done and some can't; we can't promise, for example, to help a political party if they mention us.  That doesn't mean that we can't find some other way to make an endorsement (of us) attractive to them...  But the reality also is that as national parties, these folks do better spread out; imagine the reaction of 49 state LPs if the national LP told everyone to move to New Hampshire.  I don't know how to work around that, but I know it's a problem.

We do have a bazillion resources that I don't think we're using to the hilt, and I've posted about that on the forum ad nauseum.  I still believe that the Liaisons program should be completely overhauled, and I believe that effective group outreach might depend on that.  (See http://forum.freestateproject.org//index.php?topic=10472.0)  Doesn't appear to be a popular idea, and I'm too busy with other things to lend enough of a hand. 

No Kate I don't think you are attacking me :)
But the National LP could put out a small blurb saying that they think that the FSP is a good idea/experiment etc etc and provide a link on their website.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2005, 11:33:37 am »

That'd be great.
www.ronpaulhq.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25   Go Up