Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Seditious Ramblings  (Read 113979 times)

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
Re: Seditious Ramblings
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2005, 06:00:46 pm »

You're suggesting that the "most active" should be put in charge, without specifying who those people are or what they've done that qualifies them. ... I do wonder who the "most active" really are, and I suspect they're not the people that would end up "calling the shots," in any case.
Adam, I have complete confidence that officer elections would open up both records of accomplishments, as well as the proposal of new ideas.  This alone is reason enough to undergo the ugliness of faction wars that exist even without elections.

I don't understand your last comment.  Why would you doubt that those perceived as the most effective activists would win the elections?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 06:17:00 pm by Morey »

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2005, 08:23:13 pm »

You're suggesting that the "most active" should be put in charge, without specifying who those people are or what they've done that qualifies them. ... I do wonder who the "most active" really are, and I suspect they're not the people that would end up "calling the shots," in any case.
Adam, I have complete confidence that officer elections would open up both records of accomplishments, as well as the proposal of new ideas.  This alone is reason enough to undergo the ugliness of faction wars that exist even without elections.

I don't understand your last comment.  Why would you doubt that those perceived as the most effective activists would win the elections?

Morey,

I missed your suggestion of elections. I am not opposed to elections for at least part of the Board--in fact I proposed having one elected seat way back in February (or thereabouts) when there was major reorganization being discussed, which I thought would at least inject some flesh ideas into the Board periodically.

Having said that, I am not confident that voters would select the most effective activists, but rather would vote based on other criteria, for good or bad I can't say.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2005, 08:35:21 pm »

Well, a thought . . .

The Free State Project is a corporation.  A corporation's board is elected by the shareholders.  The officers are elected by the board.

How about selling Free State Project stock?  Those wishing to pony up the most cash will have the most influence on the selection of the board, but if enough shares are issued nobody will be able to get dominant control without giving the FSP enough money to advertise the heck out of itself.

For those donating their time, stock could be awarded as a thank you for efforts expended on behalf of the FSP.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 08:40:23 pm by JonM »

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2005, 08:42:08 pm »

It hasn't proposed a method to run the Free State so far as I know.  It proposes to get people to New Hampshire and they get to figure out how to get from now to maximum role of government is protection of life liberty and property.

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2005, 08:46:40 pm »

Could we quit with the repeating of the modern mission statement like broken records? Thanks.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:04 pm »

Nah, I'll probably post it again at some point.

ThomasPaine

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2005, 08:50:13 pm »

It hasn't proposed a method to run the Free State so far as I know.  It proposes to get people to New Hampshire and they get to figure out how to get from now to maximum role of government is protection of life liberty and property.

Why and when did it switch from "minimum" to "maximum" role?

TeePee

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2005, 09:16:01 pm »

I am not opposed to elections for at least part of the Board--in fact I proposed having one elected seat way back in February (or thereabouts) when there was major reorganization being discussed, which I thought would at least inject some flesh ideas into the Board periodically.
Anyone familiar with the Eddie Bradford Experience knows that throwing a single freshman into the mix is to sacrifice an activist at the altar.  I'm afraid that it has to be the whole enchilada, save for Jason.

Having said that, I am not confident that voters would select the most effective activists, but rather would vote based on other criteria, for good or bad I can't say.
An election is always a popularity contest to some degree.  So are appointments.  What have we got to lose?  Even if they run the project into the ground through bad decisions and infighting, 'tis better to have tried and failed....

CP ridgerunner

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2005, 09:18:04 pm »

Can and does.  see http://pd.freetalklive.com

Well  here is one person that understood my posts.

CP ridgerunner

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2005, 09:21:47 pm »

Months ago I said we were the most potentially powerful and affordable recruiting tool the FSP has ever had.

I concur.

While your operation is certainly commercial in nature, and your ultimate aim is a nice paycheck for yourself, I wish the FSP would throw some of that $30k collecting dust in their accounts at you.

Commerical can be a good idea for people who think the free market is a good idea, could the show run commericals maybe highlighting NH., maybe FSP member businesses and FSP friendly businesses with possibly libertarian friendly local businesses if the show airs out of state.

Can and does. The Free State Project is advertised at least a dozen times during the show. They also advertise businesses on their website and have a monthly auction where you can win a spot on their website to advertise your business.

Well thanks for your honest reply, I see you can understand enough of my post to reply as if you understood my points.

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2005, 09:37:10 pm »

And to address yet another of your unwarranted assumptions -- it's fairly easy to work in Boston and live in NH; it's not that far. Even if I do decide to take a job in Boston, I can easily move to NH. So what's the problem?
Amanda, isn't Harvard roughly the same distance from NH as Boston?  If it isn't even that far, why aren't you in NH now?

Friday

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2005, 09:59:44 pm »

Hello all,

I haven't even begun to read the 8 pages of this thread; I've been too busy responding to phone calls and personal emails.

In regards to my remarks about Jason and Amanda, I would like to clarify that I don't for a second doubt their sincerity to the FSP. I know that they both intend to move to New Hampshire at some point.  My remarks were intended to comment on an apparent conflict between the recently announced new FSP policy of encouraging FSP participants to move as soon as possible, and the recent career changes the two of them have made.  I based my remarks on public postings each of them has made, as well as public postings I have already seen made by others. I didn't think that either of them would appreciate my remarks, but they were intended to be constructive for the FSP, not personal attacks against them as individuals. Based on private feedback I have received (like I said, I haven't even had time to read what this thread says yet), I see that I misjudged how hurtful my remarks would be.

Jason and Amanda have both given far more to the development of the FSP than I have or could. It would not even exist if not for both of them. I don't want either of them to leave, I admire and respect both of them, and I am sincerely sorry for any pain or embarassment I have caused either of them. I didn't ask them what their relocation plans were, I just speculated and then posted it publicly. It was very bad form. I apologize to both of them.

--Sandy

Amanda

• former FSP President
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2005, 10:02:22 pm »

And to address yet another of your unwarranted assumptions -- it's fairly easy to work in Boston and live in NH; it's not that far. Even if I do decide to take a job in Boston, I can easily move to NH. So what's the problem?
Amanda, isn't Harvard roughly the same distance from NH as Boston?  If it isn't even that far, why aren't you in NH now?

No, it's slightly closer to NH than Boston. I haven't moved because I can't afford to move while in grad school. I can't believe we're talking about my finances and my living situation on the freakin forum. Why aren't you in NH now?Are you any less dedicated to the FSP because *you* haven't moved yet?

Enough dick waving, folks! Why don't we think about, say... how to recruit more participants?
"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations." -- David D Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom

eukreign

• FSP Participant
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2005, 10:14:12 pm »

Why don't we think about, say... how to recruit more participants?

Can you tell us more about the PR firm that is being hired? Or can i read about that somewhere?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2005, 10:19:41 pm »

How's this?

If you can't recruit, move.  If you can recruit, stay where you are and RECRUIT!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 25   Go Up