Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Seditious Ramblings  (Read 113928 times)

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
Re: Seditious Ramblings
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2005, 01:17:42 pm »

I keep hearing the mantra of "ignore the powers that be, and go do it yourself!"  That has generally been my approach.  But imagine how much more effective we could be if we turned this structure upside down.  If the people who are most active were calling the shots, I'm betting we would see a significant gain in member numbers.  Beyond the specific gripes that have already had dismissed, I can't give you a recipe for exactly how or why that would happen.  But after a year of slow progress, isn't it worth trying a new approach?

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2005, 01:38:53 pm »

The FSP leadership is good people.  The problem is that the FSP membership is having a hard time getting new members to join.  Clearly, we need more people to give more hours and new ways of recruiting.

The best recruiting tool is activism in action, by those who've moved because of the FSP, or natives who actively welcome fellow freedom-lovers. Whenever someone makes the news by working for liberty, FSP should celebrate that!

My only complaint with the FSP leadership is how quickly they back away when they think someone's activism might make FSP "look bad". It reminds me of political correctness.

Instead of distancing FSP from activists, anyone speaking as an Official FSP Spokesperson should respond to press inquiries by saying, "The goal of the project is to get people to move to NH, and work for freedom in whatever way they choose. We (as an organization) don't take positions on issues, because the participants themselves have different opinions about what course to take. My only comment on "xxxx" is to praise their involvement in the process, no matter what I or others may think about their actions."

Again, what's so hard about that?

Kevin

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2005, 01:39:34 pm »

Despite our disagreements, Morey, you and I agree on this.  The FSP needs some serious help, and if what we're doing isn't working, we certainly should do something different.  However, convincing the board to submit to an election seems to be a daunting task.    :(
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

freedomroad

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2005, 01:51:12 pm »

The FSP leadership is good people.  The problem is that the FSP membership is having a hard time getting new members to join.  Clearly, we need more people to give more hours and new ways of recruiting.

The best recruiting tool is activism in action, by those who've moved because of the FSP, or natives who actively welcome fellow freedom-lovers. Whenever someone makes the news by working for liberty, FSP should celebrate that!

My only complaint with the FSP leadership is how quickly they back away when they think someone's activism might make FSP "look bad". It reminds me of political correctness.

Instead of distancing FSP from activists, anyone speaking as an Official FSP Spokesperson should respond to press inquiries by saying, "The goal of the project is to get people to move to NH, and work for freedom in whatever way they choose. We (as an organization) don't take positions on issues, because the participants themselves have different opinions about what course to take. My only comment on "xxxx" is to praise their involvement in the process, no matter what I or others may think about their actions."

Again, what's so hard about that?

Kevin

Fine.  Start a website- NHResults.com or something.  Build profiles for all the members that want to be included.  Build profiles for all of the protests, newspaper articles written by FSP members, complete details of all of the elections, etc.  Just get permission from the individuals.  Propose future projects.  Include 101 ways how people outside of NH can help recruit FSP members.  Give tips on how to move to NH quicker.  Put a big disclaimer on the main page of the site about how the things detailed on this page are the actions of pro-freedom people in NH or planing on moving to NH and are not related to the FSP.

I'll send you $100 to help pay for things if you get it going.  Ask Kat or Jason, I'm good for it.  And I'll work my butt off to MAKE sure there is a link to it on the FSP mainpage.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2005, 01:53:34 pm »

Unless you're inclined to think, for example, that if the government doesn't provide food it must mean the government is against food, and we surely will all starve.

"'He’s not the kind of person that represents the Free State Project,' said Amanda Phillips, president of the Free State Project."

Logically, one must conclude that there ARE certian kinds of people that represent the FSP according to that quote.

Which kind of people does the FSP support then?

I cannot speak for Amanda, but my personal view is that the FTP situation should have been handled differently.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2005, 01:54:55 pm »

The leadership looks down on us common members and is getting in the way of our goal.

We are? How?
"Is that why everyone's so worked up? They want a pat on the head from the FSP any time they do anything?"

You did it 1 reply earlier. ::)

Russell, there's no mistaking you for a common member :P.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2005, 02:04:04 pm »

I keep hearing the mantra of "ignore the powers that be, and go do it yourself!"  That has generally been my approach.  But imagine how much more effective we could be if we turned this structure upside down.  If the people who are most active were calling the shots, I'm betting we would see a significant gain in member numbers.  Beyond the specific gripes that have already had dismissed, I can't give you a recipe for exactly how or why that would happen.  But after a year of slow progress, isn't it worth trying a new approach?

Great post.

freedomroad

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2005, 02:05:19 pm »

So your problem is that we're not giving enough pats on the head?

One of the main roles of leadership in non-profit groups is to give pats on the head to those directly lower than you.  The pats are hoped to keep going, until they reach the members that do the least.  The people on the highest levels are there because they are self-directed and they rarely need pats.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2005, 02:16:39 pm »

(Responding to no one in particular here...) I definitely believe pats on the head are great. Does this count?

http://freestateproject.org/news/newswire/

How about this?

http://freestateproject.org/about/essay_archive/

Or this?

http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/reports/

Or what about this?

http://freestateproject.org/news/issues/

This definitely counts:

http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/liaisons/LiaisonsCorner

And so does this:

http://freestateproject.org/community/moved/

But maybe the issue is more private head-patting on specific tasks. Something to keep in mind for our many organizers and doers - that is one of several good ways to motivate volunteers.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2005, 02:25:34 pm »

I don't want head pats .... I want deadwood to step aside. We don't need central planning for our decentralization project. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2005, 02:36:04 pm »

If the people who are most active were calling the shots, I'm betting we would see a significant gain in member numbers.  Beyond the specific gripes that have already had dismissed, I can't give you a recipe for exactly how or why that would happen.

Given the Project's slow growth lately, I don't think it's crazy to consider drastic changes. But, consider how what you're proposing sounds. You're suggesting that the "most active" should be put in charge, without specifying who those people are or what they've done that qualifies them. You admit that you don't know what they'd do differently (as opposed to Russell who says he has ideas that he won't share). I admit I'm curious about what would happen, but I'm not very optimistic about your suggestion. I do wonder who the "most active" really are, and I suspect they're not the people that would end up "calling the shots," in any case.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2005, 02:42:02 pm »

Fine.  Start a website- NHResults.com or something.

You misunderstand my point. The publicity already happens when an activist does something to make the news. My point is: those speaking officially for FSP damage recruiting when they disavow those engaging in liberty activism. People who are interested in FSP and activism have to do a double-take whenever "corrections" are issued to the press, pointing out that activists aren't working on behalf of FSP.

Kevin

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2005, 02:56:14 pm »

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me--you might try contacting Amanda directly to discuss it.

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2005, 03:02:22 pm »

They'd have to amend the bylaws again to do that, though.

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2005, 03:02:53 pm »

Fine.  Start a website- NHResults.com or something.
You misunderstand my point. The publicity already happens when an activist does something to make the news. My point is: those speaking officially for FSP damage recruiting when they disavow those engaging in liberty activism. People who are interested in FSP and activism have to do a double-take whenever "corrections" are issued to the press, pointing out that activists aren't working on behalf of FSP.
Kevin
What do you think about these pages?
http://www.freestateproject.org/news/issues/
I put quite a lot of time into them.  Rather than disavowing controversial activists, I linked to them.  As both a director and the VP of Publicity, I think I am more able than most to speak officially for the FSP. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 03:10:19 pm by Steve »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 25   Go Up