Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Seditious Ramblings  (Read 105178 times)

atr

• FSP Participant
Re: Seditious Ramblings
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2005, 08:45:21 am »

It appears to have analysis paralysis; it has been sitting on over $30,000 in organizational funds for months now, unable to decide whether to spend it on a marketing campaign or a paid employee (resulting in the money being spent on neither).
The Board recently approved the expenditure of money for paid PR/marketing. My sense is that this amount will grow as time goes on.

Exciting and inspiring things are being done by early movers and friends of our cause in New Hampshire.  This is the proof that our concept is feasible, and must be shared with the rest of the world. However, in a vain attempt to comply with IRS registration standards and to adhere to a concept that the FSP is “merely a bus”, and takes absolutely no positions on anything at all, discussion of such things is verboten here.  Several times when an FSP participant has gained media exposure, they have been ignored or publicly disavowed by the organization.  I don’t know about you, but all of this seems extremely counterproductive to me.  What we need is publicity; why do we run away every time we get some?  I’m referring to the Free Town imbroglio, the Outlaw Manicurist, the Unidentified Flying Objector, and now Lauren Canario.  Our spokesperson recently indicated to a newspaper reporter that the FSP has no position on eminent domain. What?!?!? If we can’t even admit that we do have a position on eminent domain (we’re AGAINST it!!!), what the hell do we stand for? What’s the point of joining this organization?  ???
The point is to move to New Hampshire and work for liberty, knowing that there are others doing the same. We do not all agree on every issue. People have called for "the leadership" to take positions on issues. Do you want us to be "for" everything and against nothing? How will you feel if we say that we are against eminent domain but don't believe the Supreme Court reached the wrong decision in Kelo (because the Bill of Rights is not supposed to be applied to the states)? How will you feel when we're for outlaw manicurists but against UN flag burnings? Or for privacy rights but against HB599?

What is to be done?  I don’t know.  But I do know that the current system is increasingly not just ineffectual, but idiotic.  And I have far too much invested in the FSP to just walk away now.  I know some of you others have as well, or plan on doing so in the near future.  It's time to try something new, preferably with the sanction of the leadership, but without it if need be.
It is much easier to recognize a problem than to take responsibility for achieving a solution. It will, as you note, take action.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2005, 08:50:31 am »

No more donations from me, I give straight to the people who are doing things like Lauren and Russel...people you are sometimes wilfully ignoring on the website.

Is that why everyone's so worked up? They want a pat on the head from the FSP any time they do anything? Would you volunteer to be the ultimate arbiter of who should get a pat on the head (Lauren, Russell, Mike) and who shouldn't (Zack Bass, or the guy in Maryland with the meth lab)?

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2005, 08:52:32 am »

The leadership looks down on us common members and is getting in the way of our goal.

We are? How?

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2005, 09:01:06 am »

Would you volunteer to be the ultimate arbiter of who should get a pat on the head (Lauren, Russell, Mike) and who shouldn't (Zack Bass, or the guy in Maryland with the meth lab)?

Whoever does the updates to the website certainly is volunteering for that position.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2005, 09:11:17 am »

Every couple of months we have a leader criticism thread ("A pivotal question", "Leadership on sabbatical", "FSP Board should submit to recall vote", etc.) and nothing ever comes of it.

Like the government, we are expected to serve all your needs and vilified when we do not. The success of the FSP mission depends on indvidual actions, not the collective power of corporate office-holders. If you want something done, then do it. If you have an idea of what you would like "the leadership" to do, please share it. We are not deaf, but the recurring message is complaining without any guide to corrective action.

In fairness, the leadership (myself included) does not accomplish as much as I think can reasonably be expected. But what is telling us to do more going to accomplish?

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2005, 09:16:35 am »

Would you volunteer to be the ultimate arbiter of who should get a pat on the head (Lauren, Russell, Mike) and who shouldn't (Zack Bass, or the guy in Maryland with the meth lab)?

Whoever does the updates to the website certainly is volunteering for that position.

So your problem is that we're not giving enough pats on the head?

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2005, 09:21:27 am »

My problem is that no prospective member can see any current successes "we" have made in The Free State. If I look at the front page and the news archives as one, all I see is a bunch of masturbation for the past two years.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2005, 09:33:33 am »

My problem is that no prospective member can see any current successes "we" have made in The Free State. If I look at the front page and the news archives as one, all I see is a bunch of masturbation for the past two years.

What successes?

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2005, 09:45:39 am »

What successes?

:D

Now that's a whopper!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2005, 09:49:22 am »

They're closing ranks boys .... we got 'em pinned down. ;D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2005, 09:51:14 am »

I see that suddenly the leadership has found all kinds of time to communicate with the rabble.
I did not vote for this current crew and neither has anyone else. Time for a big vote. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2005, 10:01:33 am »

For everyone else, this is exactly the reason why some leadership conversations need to be private, and why all decent non-profits (Cato, Reason, LNC, etc.) have private Board meetings. People need to be able to express honest opinions without having the gossip faction tear them a new one.
I didn't join one of those libertarian non-profits. I want to be part of a revolution. Having another think-tank is not going to get it done. The fsp can be the vehicle for revolutionary change. If not then it will get run over by the stampede.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2005, 10:06:39 am »

The fsp can be the vehicle for revolutionary change. If not then it will get run over by the stampede.

Why can't the FSP remain as the vehicle for getting liberty-lovers to move to New Hampshire, while allowing others to be the vehicles for revolutionary (radical?) change?

Why does the NH Underground exist? Why does the NHLA exist?

Because the FSP inspired people to move and then allowed them to pursue their own vehicles for activism.

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2005, 10:29:00 am »

Because the FSP inspired people to move and then allowed them to pursue their own vehicles for activism.

Actually, I should add to that. The NH Underground exists because the FSP would not be the vehicle for activism in NH.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2005, 10:33:10 am »

Why can't the FSP remain as the vehicle for getting liberty-lovers to move to New Hampshire...?
It can ..... it just is not doing that right now. That is why it needs to be taken back by the people.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up