Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concrete Geodesic Dome House... is this as awesome at it seems?  (Read 22193 times)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: Concrete Geodesic Dome House... is this as awesome at it seems?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 07:36:04 am »

It looks like there should be gerbils.
Habitrail for Humanity
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 11:03:04 am »

Pretty sweet looking dome there Ian.  Is there dome tower room for an antennae?  ;D

LOL  I don't know if you can have a "dome tower".  I think it's one or the other...
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

medalman

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:53:23 am »

I am very interested in taking and building a sunken lower floor like eight feet or soo deep. Then putting about a 24 ft dome over it and then covering it back up and then expanding it later after it had been covered over with earth. In other words build it cover it and then expand underground from within. Been looking at different, various materials. Been looking closely at the forms for just putting it up and then board it up, pour and then just remove the boards if I did it this way figured maybe I could get away with like 4 foot high sections at a time and then just keep building it up till I can eventually close it in be it with the forms or wood tarp what ever that way I would automatically be incorporated the strength of the conrete and forms with the dome shape. After it is covered come back and arrange the rooms on the outside of the dome with some kind of small walk behind digger.Then still relying on the dome shape and my forms, that is the backbone of it anyway and just add on as I feel like anyhow was curious for reaction to this proposal and if possible other's experiences with an undertaking of this nature. http://www.spidertie.com/index.aspx,http://www.dougrandall.com/Assets/Images/AdvanceProductLineCatalog/catalog_adv_standardpanels.htm,http://itemlistings.ebay.com/sdcsrp?fl=350124172393&product=used%20concrete%20forms&sconstraints=IncludeSelector%3DDetails%2CSellerInfo%26ItemType%3DAllFixedPriceItemTypes%26ItemSort%3DBestMatch

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 06:18:41 am »

Domes rock. Especially the newer designs. Buckminster Fuller was my hero as a kid. I must have read Synergetics 100 times by 9th grade (yeah I was a nerd before it was cool)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 04:22:19 pm »

Someday in the future, I'm going to build a geodesic greenhouse.  Lowest surface area/volume ratio is useful for normal houses, but much more important when you have the heat loss of a greenhouse to deal with.  I want to be able to grow some small trees, so the only way I can get the needed height without having a stupid-large heating load is to go semi-spherical.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 04:58:43 pm »

cover it with grass and in NH they would call it a mountain Wink

I so want a house with grass on top!!!!!

It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:22 pm »

Sonio.. you can buy this one it is for sale.. (snow on top though now)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/49-Fletcher-Lane_Hopkinton_NH_03229_1079315189

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 06:20:22 pm »

Dreepa, I swear that is my dream house.  If I could afford it I would buy it now... but the houses we are looking at are in the 115,000 range.....

How beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »

Dreepa, I swear that is my dream house.  If I could afford it I would buy it now... but the houses we are looking at are in the 115,000 range.....

and you would be my neighbor.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »

You could use that little fact to get the price down some. ;D  >:D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:10 pm »

You could use that little fact to get the price down some. ;D  >:D

:-*

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:46 pm »

There's a number of really good books out there on earth-sheltered homes. Some of them really look fantastic.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up