Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning to move -- somewhere away from Atlanta  (Read 1970 times)

davem1958

Planning to move -- somewhere away from Atlanta
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:49:32 pm »

Just getting started in the process, but I've decided to leave Atlanta, GA.  I've been here 15 years, and that's about 10 years longer than I planned.

My first thought was FL, because I love hot weather (and strongly dislike cold weather).

My second thought was, why not NH?  I signed up for the FSP before they (we?) picked a state, so I've been perusing the e-mails.  It would be nice to have a few people around that agree with me when I wax idealistic.

Any thoughts or words of encouragement appreciated.  I don't necessarily need a job before I move, but I would like to identify a career (profession?) that is in demand in NH.  Currently I'm a computer programmer, but looking to move out of that.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 07:03:48 pm by davem1958 »

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Planning to move -- somewhere away from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:13:58 am »

You will be most welcome here, Dave. I can't say you will like the weather, though. I am a southerner who never liked hot weather much. I lke it fine here. But you will love having friends that you don't have to avoid certain topic of conversatin with. You will love living in a state brimming with individualists. You will love the optimism and enthusiam that comes with action and results. It is a long way from perfect but I find it refreshing here and easier to sleep at night without fretting.

Cathleen

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 04:43:56 pm »

I moved from Texas/Louisiana and I love the summer and fall here. I hated the extreme heat in the south. I live in the north part and the people remind me of people from the south and it feels more like home than the south.

Try http://nhfree.com this is where a lot of the locals and early movers hang out.
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:58:14 am »

Hop over to the NH board, and look for the employment posts... Searching nh.craigslist.org, monster.com, or dice.com will give you some of the general types of jobs out there, and you can always go to some of the newspapers like www.seacoastonline.com, or www.concordmonitor.com, or www.nashuatelegraph.com, to get a sense of what postings are in those metro areas. (they use the same program, but filter the results by the region). For labor market info, see http://www.nh.gov/residents/working.html  or  http://nhetwork.virtuallmi.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up