Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling in NH  (Read 1737 times)

HomeschoolDad

Homeschooling in NH
« on: August 19, 2005, 09:14:48 am »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum.  My wife and I were members of FSP until just after the vote that selected NH as the Free State.  We live in PA and are in the process of selling our house to relocate into a more homeschool friendly state.  PA is among the most totalitarian in the nation with regard to homeschool laws.  The model state is Alaska, with no homeschool laws at all to interfere with how parents choose to educate their children.  Before moving to PA, we lived in NJ where there is no state reporting requirement.  It was virtually as good as living in Alaska.

We would like to consider NH as an option.  Unfortunately, NH homeschool laws are not much better than here in PA.  The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has a comprehensive website that lists all state homeschooling laws.  If it weren't for NH poking it's nose into homeschooling, I think we would move NH to the top of our list of new home choices.  There are only a handful of states that respect the right of parents to homeschool as they choose.  Is anyone in FSP able to address this issue?  Is there anyone in NH who can do something about getting the State to mind its own business with regard to education?

HomeschoolDad

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
Re: Homeschooling in NH
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:11:35 am »

You may wish to take a look at the NH Homeschooling and New England Unschooling lists, as well as the FSP homeschooling list. I know that the NHBills05 group had info on how they wanted the homeschooling bill written, went through one half of the process, got edited by the next step, and is tabled until next year. Links to the groups are here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSPHomeschooling/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewHampshirehomeschool/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewEnglandUnschooling

This last one is about a group for discussion of proposed liberty oriented school in New Hampshire. (there have been some classes held for some of the local homeschoolers by members)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateschool

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:05:16 am »

We would like to consider NH as an option.  Unfortunately, NH homeschool laws are not much better than here in PA.  The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has a comprehensive website that lists all state homeschooling laws.  If it weren't for NH poking it's nose into homeschooling, I think we would move NH to the top of our list of new home choices.  There are only a handful of states that respect the right of parents to homeschool as they choose.  Is anyone in FSP able to address this issue?  Is there anyone in NH who can do something about getting the State to mind its own business with regard to education?

We're already working on it, and it'll be better come January or so... Scott Woodruff from the HSLDA has been here working with us, BTW.

Those homeschooling here say it's not as bad as it looks on paper, and we have a VERY strong homeschooling community here.
When we asked for homeschoolers to call the Senate, the Senators were getting 50 calls a night.

Don't let NH scare you away just because of a single issue.  Odds are, you move here, and within 2 years of moving, you can make a real difference with your activism here, especially in issues you care about.

jeanius

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 04:39:12 pm »

It's an early target for change by some of us and already work has begun!  I'm not happy with NH's current rules on this either, coming from liberal OR.  However, the net advantages are what I keep my eye on.  I homeschool my three and will continue, in NH, while working to craft the Free State!

Jean
Pages: [1]   Go Up