Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Modular homes revisited? (Lloyd)  (Read 18746 times)

pcwallis

Re: Modular homes revisited? (Lloyd)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 09:48:38 am »

Great dpenkalski - you know what you want  and you have researched it !!  I have thought many times of using steel in my construction of homes - but consumers just do not get it and won't build with it.  We have all been brainwashed that only certain things work while others don't.  It is really sad that people do not want to try innovative building products.  I build with five products when I can they are: wood, steel, glass, stone and cloth material.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 01:47:56 pm »

I like metal .... it is the size it is supposed to be 8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Otosan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 03:03:22 pm »

I attended a three day seminar on steel frame houses.

The company was Tri steel and is located outside of Atlanta..  Their url is http://www.tri-steel.com/

And they have a sisiter company in Dallas/Ft Worth area, but do not remeber name...It was more of a "red Iron" type steel frame house (close to barn framing).

If hexaport is a similar to tristeel....then that is the way to "erect" a house.

Advantages: want burn,  rot,  warp,  creep and no termites.

Disadvantage: about 30% more exspensive (material)

"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

pcwallis

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 05:39:18 pm »

All of the above are great points in consideration of building or buying a home.  But, what type of value will the home hold on the market.  If a community does not like steel frame homes there will be a value that is less than a stick built home.  The same is true for mod and even stick.  What ever the market will bear or put up with will give you a value for you home.  So here is another reason why you must know your supplier, subs., builder, and the market place.

Now if you are building a home that is your last home ever and it is an all cash deal then do not worry about value - who cares. 

Another one to know is your banker,  they may not want to make a market in any of the above homes except what they are willing to underwrite.  In other words your value and what the lender will loan you may not be enough to cover the cost of a steel home, or a log home so-forth.  Again it is a pain in the ass because the lenders are all one size fits all mind set.  [There are lenders out there that understand housing - but you have to look for them.]

So one more thing to know - the market you are to be building in or buying.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 04:38:23 pm »

Steel definitely has some significant advantages over wood, in many cases.  I'm seriously looking into it, when I decide to build my own.

As far as the heat transfer, while similar-sized pieces of steel and wood will show a marked difference, the steel stud is rather thin (the transfer rate can only be as much as the thinnest portion can handle), compared to about an inch-and-a-half of wood, so the difference may not be there, or might even run the other way.  My heat-transfer textbooks are buried somewhere, but maybe someone else out there has or can run the numbers on the heat conduction of a 2x6 versus a steel stud.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

FreeBoB

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 10:59:50 pm »

I don't want another old box with doors and windows.  ::)

I want a small, energy efficient, energy producing, solar, wind, hydro, cool home and office.  And don't forget cheap!  ;D

It doesn't seem to be available used, so I've got to build something, I guess.  I've researched it some, but frankly was disappointed in what seems to be out there.  Any suggestions?  Kits, mod, stick?  Any Porc specialty builders in NH?

Brian

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 03:25:50 pm »

I checked into the steel studs a bit more, and they do seem to be a good option.  The claims from Hexaport as far as energy efficiency are two-fold.  First, that the steel is more rigid, so the house will not settle.  Settling can open cracks that allow excess air exchange, cooling/heating (winter/summer) the house.  And secondly that, while steel is a better conductor of heat than wood, dimensionally, there is significantly less steel in the web of the stud, and no more heat can be transferred than that can handle, so they actually transfer less heat by conduction than wooden studs.

Another thing they have going is Hexaport is willing to custom-make the studs with pre-punched holes at given heights.  That's better than the typical "generic" steel studs, because the holes need to vary in height as you go down the length of a wall, if there is a drainage pipe in that wall (drainage needs at least 1/4" of slope per foot of run).  The drilling during a plumbing installation is a major bit of labor (up to ten man-hours, in a large house).  Accurate pre-drilled holes would save that labor.  I'm checking on the cost involved in customized studs, though, as it might or might not run that back up.  Still, even if it were a break-even scenario, it would still be nice to give the drill a rest...

I don't want another old box with doors and windows.  ::)

I want a small, energy efficient, energy producing, solar, wind, hydro, cool home and office.  And don't forget cheap!  ;D

It doesn't seem to be available used, so I've got to build something, I guess.  I've researched it some, but frankly was disappointed in what seems to be out there.  Any suggestions?  Kits, mod, stick?  Any Porc specialty builders in NH?

I'm not a general contractor (yet), but I play around with architecture, and I do plumbing and heating.  I talked to a couple builders at PorcFest, and I think there were a few electricians, too.  I think that, between the lot of us, we could have several Porc-friendly teams of contractors.

I can't necessarily promise "cheap," because I'm definitely a "quality before price" sort of guy, but I think I can stay competitive with prices, and offer better quality.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

FreeBoB

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 05:03:35 pm »

Thanks Joe.

I've got a lot of research to do before hiring a builder or contractor.  It's very surprising to me that there seems to be no need or market for what I'm looking for!  People seem to be buying energy-hog, old style houses - not me, never again. 

Brian 

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 06:50:36 pm »

I've got a lot of research to do before hiring a builder or contractor.  It's very surprising to me that there seems to be no need or market for what I'm looking for!  People seem to be buying energy-hog, old style houses - not me, never again.

Yeah, energy efficiency doesn't seem to top most people's lists.  They're paying a bit more attention to it than they used to, but it's still not very important to most people.  For example, I still have people buying forced-hot-air systems, even though they're significantly less efficient than forced-hot-water.  Or even take the control systems on a boiler.  Almost everyone goes for the most basic setup they can get, but I can easily install computerized controls that optimize efficiency for a wide variety of situations (eg, your boiler doesn't need to operate the same in the summer as it does in the winter).  Yeah, those controls will cost a bit more, but even sophisticated (expensive) controls pay for themselves in three years or so, and then you start saving money every year after that.  But most people just don't seem willing to make even a small initial investment.

Heck, I can retrofit those controls to an existing system, in most cases, and people who already have their system bought-and-paid-for aren't willing to invest a bit...

Of course, with the way oil prices are changing, the situation may very well be different in a few years.

Joe

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 08:02:28 am »

Hopefully over time we can keep our construction people busy with porc related building :D

shark - can you help with projects in NH or are you busy all the time?

brian - I happen to love those earthships

I am always disappointed with the mosty anti-innovation mentality in construction .... refreshing with you guys.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Otosan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 04:08:09 pm »

Another way to erect a house and or foundation:
 http://www.arxxbuild.com/products/walls.html.

And if you want a roof that will last:
 http://www.gerardusa.com/

If I had the $$$ , I would start with a arxx foundation, erect a hexport house and top it off with a gerard roofing system. and for the out side  would use nova brick.  http://www.novabrik.com/html/en/accueil/index.php3?flash=1

The cost of the house would be about 30 to 50 % more, but would never rot, burn, creep,or  have termite damge.

The house (not counting grading and depending on the size of the house and of course weather) probabley could be under roof with the exterior complete in about 3 weeks.

But most people do not want to spend the up front money cause they can not see the hidden savings on a house like this in in the insurance permiums, termite treatments, dry rot repair, and such..
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 08:52:12 pm »

shark - can you help with projects in NH or are you busy all the time?

We're not too busy to take on some more jobs.  But I doubt I'll be with my current employer for much longer, so I'll have more freedom to choose jobs if I'm on my own...

I am always disappointed with the mosty anti-innovation mentality in construction .... refreshing with you guys.

Yeah, it's frustrating.  Homeowners can occasionally see sense (or, cents), but when working as a subcontractor for a GC, it's usually like talking to a wall...

Joe

Otosan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 05:21:08 pm »

Need a fireplace  that does not take a master mason to install?
All you need is a strong back, a chalking gun and a level..... ;D

http://www.isokern.net/

The only drawback I see is that you can not use a glass door while fire is going.....can use one to close it off when not in use.

A guy built a house next to my sons house that installed one of these.....pretty neat.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 05:25:04 pm by Otosan »
- [Unknown]

FreeBoB

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2005, 12:17:54 am »

;D  HA!  Here I am doing more research tonight, looking for "modular solar homes" using Google and on page 6 of the results is our forum thread here!  I was surprised to see my own words pop up.

Brian

http://www.google.com/search?q=modular+solar+homes&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&start=50&sa=N

Modular homes revisited? (Lloyd)
Author, Topic: Modular homes revisited? (Lloyd) (Read 347 times) ... I want a small, energy efficient, energy producing, solar, wind, hydro, cool home and ...
forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=10683.new - 69k - Cached - Similar pages
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:19:46 am by Brian Sullivan »

lloydbob1

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 06:35:11 am »

I like metal .... it is the size it is supposed to be 8)

Actually, metal expands and contracts with heat and cold just like everything else. I think it goes something like a cubic inch of steel expands 25 millionths of an inch per 1 degree farenheight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up