Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain Climbing In New Hampshire  (Read 15444 times)

jeanius

Re: Mountain Climbing In New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:11:26 pm »

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 04:57:07 pm »

What mountains have you climbed ?  It sounds like you really enjoy the vertical climbs.  Did you climb by yourself or were you with a group?  Have you climbed in any countries other than the USA?  Let us know !

Oh, gosh, PC, it's been literally decades!  All my climbing was done on vacations, most of it in the Grand Tetons, all of it in groups.  It is a lot of fun -- the real-life version of those "rock-climbing walls," but a lot higher, and no assurance there is any good path to find.  It is a real mental challenge; you have to be "in the moment" and looking several moves ahead all the time.

Thanks for the cool links, everyone.  I'm impressed, NH has some nice, rugged hard-rock mountains!

--Herself
Civilization in the United States ended by 1913.

pcwallis

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 05:07:34 pm »

When my wife and I were climbing Mt Washington last Christmas I was 55 years old and my wife was 42.  It is never to late to start anything  We have also climbed Stone Mt. in Georgia some years ago.  We want to get back to NH to do some more.

pcwallis

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 05:09:55 pm »

Jean what a great web site you listed.  Thanks !!!!

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 08:43:24 pm »

There are many dozens of mountains to climb, and the appalachian trail passes through a number of them. For those seeking NH hiking books, I recommend any by Daniel Doan or Lisa Densmore. Daniel also wrote the history of the Indian Stream Republic, and Lisa is a friend of mine who is a host of NH Wildlife Journal on NH Public TV. Her co-host, Willem Lange I also know a bit, and he likes hiking, but prefers fly fishing and canoing these days.

There are many grades of hikes here, from the easy climbs of Mt Cube in Orford and Mt Cardigan in Canaan, to the more challenging hikes of Mt Mooselauke, Profile Mountain (where the old man of the mountain used to be), Mt. Jefferson, Madison, and a number of others.

For those who are into rock climbing, Profile has some great cliffs. There is also a great rock climbing area in Rumney, on the southwest spur of Stinson Mountain, featuring a great cliff as well as a fine bouldering area.

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

average_shooter

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 01:00:09 am »

Are there any FSPers who are mountain climbers?  Why don't we form a group and climb a mountain in NH next Porc Fest??  Or how about this Christmas?

I'd be interested in taking part in a climbing outing during PorcFest '06.  I could bring my sport rack and hopefully by then I'll have a trad rack.  I would like to know if there is serious interest in setting up a climbing outing during PorcFest '06.  Even just having a few people interested would be cool, it doesn't have to be a large group.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 01:56:05 pm »

Another great spot is in Stark, NH. There is a very large cliff face overlooking the town, you can't miss it, just stand in front of the covered bridge and look across the river. The area of the Old Man of the Mountain in Franconia has extensive cliffs, as well.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up