Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain Climbing In New Hampshire  (Read 15219 times)

pcwallis

Mountain Climbing In New Hampshire
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:16:13 am »

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me where the best mountain climbing is in New Hampshire.    I enjoy climbing more in the cooler months of the year, then the hot months.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: Mountain Climbing In New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:19:32 am »

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me where the best mountain climbing is in New Hampshire.    I enjoy climbing more in the cooler months of the year, then the hot months.
Well, I don't know how it is lately, but back in the 70s there was an annual pool for the body count of folks who almost climbed Mount Washington during the winter.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

pcwallis

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:27:29 am »

My wife and I were climbing Mt. Washington last Christmas, got half way up, but had to stop, because of the amount of snow coming down - white out conditions.  This next Christmas we want to try it again.

We would like to know if there are other mountains to climb NH,  we have climbed Stone Mountain in Georgia.

Thanks Ward Griffiths for your response.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:32:53 am »

I'm not a climber myself, but I suspect that most of the Presidential Range peaks have features similar to Mount Washington but with less development in the form of roads and/or rails to the top.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

pcwallis

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:50:21 am »

Are there any FSPers who are mountain climbers?  Why don't we form a group and climb a mountain in NH next Porc Fest??  Or how about this Christmas?

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 11:17:16 am »

Are there any FSPers who are mountain climbers?  Why don't we form a group and climb a mountain in NH next Porc Fest??  Or how about this Christmas?

too fun.  you can climb the highest mt. in nh and don't even know that fsp members climb mt. liberty at every porcfest.

pcwallis

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 11:36:19 am »

I guess not NH Bound.  Where on the Forum site are they located?

freedomroad

pcwallis

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 01:15:45 pm »

Thanks NH Bound.  But what other areas are good for mountain climbing in NH.  Do you have any suggestions?

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 08:48:16 pm »

If you can hike the whole way, does that really count?

A very long time ago, I was an adequate technical climber; the sort of stuff where you're safety-belayed most of the time,* going up more-or-less vertical surfaces.  It was a lot of fun!  But there's a real shortage of places to do that where I live; I learned out in the Grand Tetons and that's a bit too far to commute to.

While there are some decent mountains in the NH/Maine region, do any of them have the sort of nice hard-rock vertical climbs the Rockies offer?

--Herself

pcwallis

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 08:57:42 am »

Herself

What mountains have you climbed ?  It sounds like you really enjoy the vertical climbs.  Did you climb by yourself or were you with a group?  Have you climbed in any countries other than the USA?  Let us know !

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 09:59:40 am »

While there are some decent mountains in the NH/Maine region, do any of them have the sort of nice hard-rock vertical climbs the Rockies offer?

There is White Horse Ledge, which is in, (or near), Conway.

pcwallis

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 06:44:14 pm »

Has anyone or group climbed White Horse Ledge ?  Let me know I am still looking at climbing other mountains in NH.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 10:49:35 pm »

Has anyone or group climbed White Horse Ledge ?  Let me know I am still looking at climbing other mountains in NH.

Rock climbers like it. It is very popular. A friend of mine from high school learned on it. That was before he got stuck on the North Face for 3 days in a blizzard.  8)

jeanius

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 08:15:05 am »

Apparently Rumney has a vertical rock face or faces for climbing that draws a bunch.  I've only heard about it but have heard about it from several sources.  Here's a link I found that should be helpful:

http://www.heartofnh.com/outdoors/RockClimbing/

Jean
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up