Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biodiesel production facility  (Read 27939 times)

freetown

Re:Biodiesel production facility
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2004, 03:55:54 pm »

Someone needs to build an automatic pumping/filtering system. This way you could just dip your hose into the nearest waste oil contaner and voila!

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2004, 09:42:17 am »

I am taking the Peterborough newspaper now, and noticed the front-page story last week about how Peterborough will have to build a new sewage treatement plant, because the treated effluent that is currently being returned to the Contoocook River is too rich .  I am not there to suggest that they talk to UNH about their high-oil-yeilding algae that can clean up effluent and provide great feedstock for bio-diesel production, but I think I would be inclined to if I were in the area.  

I just wanted to throw this out there, in case anybody wanted to do it and just needed the idea.  This is one place libs tend to shine is knowing about cutting edge technologies.  Also, there already is a biodiesel filling station in Dublin, just a few miles down the road, so there is already the beginnings of a market/supply chain.

lloydbob1

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2004, 02:34:27 pm »

How about a business converting diesels to run on waste vegetable oil and, perhaps filter some wvo and sell it to those who don't have the time to filter it themselves?
I haven't actually coverted one yet, but, it would be a matter of making or buying tanks with heating coils in them and doing a bunch of plumbing and wiring and, of course working the bugs out.......Oh, and educating the clients about the importance of switching back to diesel before shutting down!

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 12:55:28 pm »

If anyone has questions about using veg-oil as fuel, I'll be glad to answer them.

I use waste veg-oil (WVO) in my 85 Mercedes 300TD wagon. I do not use bidiesel though I do know some answers concerning it.

Pat
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

lloydbob1

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2004, 01:17:30 pm »

It is good to hear from you Pat and I want to extend my thanks to you for showing us your conversion at the Porcfest.
I will soon come into possesion of an '81 Rabbit Diesel which I intend to convert.
Lloyd

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
  • Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover
    • Rainbow Farm
Re:Glassware Medical Delivery Devices
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 03:56:27 pm »

I've noticed a few glass companies during my travels in New Hampshire.  How about one that specializes in making devices optimizing the delivery of medicine?

Such as those used by cancer patients?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 03:58:07 pm by Delaware2 »

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
    • Rainbow Farm
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2004, 04:10:29 pm »

Lloyd & Pat,
I'd love to know more about what it takes to convert a diesel to biodiesel.

I'm an engineer, but I can offer only a little more info:

1)  Biodiesel should have better filters, because there will be bacteria living in the fuel.

2) vegetable oil would probably have a lower vapor pressure @ temp than diesel--so either the temp or the compression should go up--is that right??

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2004, 06:09:18 am »

Lloyd & Pat,
I'd love to know more about what it takes to convert a diesel to biodiesel.

I'm an engineer, but I can offer only a little more info:

1)  Biodiesel should have better filters, because there will be bacteria living in the fuel.
There is also this problem with diesel fuel. Marine diesels have found this because of the length of time some of this diesel sits in the tanks.

Auto diesel users find this problem from stations who don't sell a lot of diesel, therefore the oil sits in their tanks a while.

2) vegetable oil would probably have a lower vapor pressure @ temp than diesel--so either the temp or the compression should go up--is that right??

I'm not versed on the diesel thermal cycle with veg oil vs diesel. I do know that there are fewer BTU's in veg oil but I do not find a noticeable decrease in power.

Pat
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2004, 06:11:41 am »

It is good to hear from you Pat and I want to extend my thanks to you for showing us your conversion at the Porcfest.
I will soon come into possesion of an '81 Rabbit Diesel which I intend to convert.
Lloyd
Hi Lloyd,
Thanks. Good luck on that Rabbit.

Have you made the NH move, yet?

I saw your van with the sign on the bumper sticker thread. Great! Enjoy your NYC trip!

Pat
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 06:12:04 am by Pat McCotter »
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

lloydbob1

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2004, 07:21:53 am »

Hi Pat,
No, unfortunatly, I'm still just 30 plus miles north of you. I'm still preparing my house for sale and addressing some other obligations.
I'm going to visit the rabbit today, although I will wait until my move and register it in NH.
Believe it or not, I'm waiting to hear from NYC as to wether or not driving around the city with the sign is legal!  I studied the Traffic Laws of NYC after Pat K wqarned me to expect a ticket as practically everything is ilegal in that town. They actually do have a law against commercial signs on vehicles not actually engaged in delivery or service. I enquired as to wether or not this applied to noncommercial, as well.  Might do it anyway!
Take Care
Lloyd

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
    • Rainbow Farm
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2004, 06:52:00 pm »

Biodiesel is huge, and it's happening now--just right for entrepreneurship..
The advantages can't be ignored, and it looks better than fuel cells, considering total efficiency.

Lots of info on Journeytoforever.org/biodiesel etc.

One business can't encompass it.  Two broad categories are suggested:

1) Converting diesels. Today's diesels are already made to run 5% to 20% biodiesel.  Higher levels will still run, but smoother running, trouble-free operation on 100 % requires small modifications, such as a 2 degree mechanical timing adjustment, possibly heaters in the tanks, filter changes and/or better filters.

2)  Making the fuel / Processing the fuel.  The best crops that will grow in New Hampshire need to be identified by the farmer willing to take the risk, but it looks to me that Rapeseed (127 gallons / acre) and Sunflowers (105 gallons/ acre) are the way to go in a colder climate.  Hemp, I'm sorry to say, produces 39 gallons / acre, according to  Journeytoforever.

All of these, however, will grow on land unhospitable to regular crops.  So mountainsides covered with rape and sunflower can be harvested for fuel.  
Galt's Gulch--if it happens--would have lots of remote mountain land in the northeast part of the state.

But don't quit your day job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up