Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where in NH?  (Read 14797 times)

vermass

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Member Desert Storm veteran
Where in NH?
« on: August 02, 2005, 08:14:46 pm »

We toured northern NH after the Porcfest for 8 hours! We are going to continue our tour of NH doing the southern part for the next few months. Allthough I originally wanted to move to northern NH the southern part of NH may be more desirable for family considerations (my extended family lives in Western MA).
     Are there towns that the leadership would prefer people moved to?
     Are there towns we could move to to be around other Porcs?
     Is there a town the Porcs are centralized in?
     There are I'm sure some towns a Porc should avoid. Of all things this is what I want to know most: Which towns should we avoid?
"Give me liberty or give me death!"

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: Where in NH?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 08:59:07 pm »

Keene
Keene
Keene
Not Keene

hmmmmm Western Mass......Keene 8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 09:54:00 pm »

Hey, Russell, do you think that Keene might be an interesting place for some Porcs to move? :o ;D

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

ravelkinbow

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:14:45 pm »

CONCORD!!!    CONCORD      CONCORD      CONCORD        CONCORD!!!
Centralized location easy to get to anywhere you want to be in the state and western mass, I have family there too!  Plus there are some porcs already here and it is easy to protest at the state house...hehe

vermass

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:57:28 am »

Yes Russell, we'll definitely check out Keene and we'll let you guys know ahead of time so you can give us the ten cent tour!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:26:49 am »

8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Brien

• I'm a Leo
    • standard transportation
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 02:49:01 pm »

I agree with Muleskinner.  It doesn't seem to matter at this point.  Get to know the state by visiting often.  It all depends upon what you are looking for and used to now.

The South Central is heavily industrialized and a "shopper's paradise."  It is also crowded.  The Seacoast is small but "picturesque", albeit ruined, in my opinion, by The Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant.  There is no viable evacuation plan for a "Three Mile Island" type disaster.  So, if you don't mind the possibility of glowing in the dark, by all means consider the seacoast.

The Southwest part of the state is rural and convenient to Mass and Vermont.  It is my understanding that many people fled the city of Keene several years ago when city property taxes went through the proverbial roof. I had friends who worked at Kingsbury Machine Tool move over to Chesterfield and pushed east toward Vermont along Rt 9.

The Lakes Region is stunning.  It is a contrast in money.  There are some very wealthy towns clustered around Lake Winnipesaukee and yet some old mill towns to the west of there like Franklin.

The Upper Valley of the Connecticut River is another absolutely beautiful area.  The twin state area that centers around Hanover and Dartmouth College has the students, "artsy" crowd, the "intellectuals" and the services, not to mention the Hitchcock Memorial Hospital and the Norris Cotton Cancer Center.  Check out the frescoes in the Dartmouth Library on the ceilings.  Your neck will ache from staring upward.  Property taxes and prices in Hanover are probably the highest in the state.  There are reasonable alternatives in the area.

Conway, as you know is skiers paradise.  You have to like tourists.

The Northern County of Coos is only for the very hearty and those that can bear the isolationism, frozen temperatures, and "winter fun" that only the deep woods can afford.

Good luck and have fun touring around the state.  My personal favorites are the Hanover area and the Lakes Region.  If you want to stick near western Mass, try Peterborough and Dublin.  They are well located along Rt 101, east of Keene.  Smaller towns along the Connecticut River like West Chesterfield NH put you within a few miles of I-91 and Brattleboro Vt. which is 20 minutes to Greenfield, and 40 minutes to Holyokle and I-90.  :)
No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.

vermass

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 04:00:40 pm »

I spent a good deal of time on real estate sites last night. I was surprised to find the houses in southern NH are not much more expensive than those in northern NH and there are a lot more houses to choose from.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:57:41 pm »

I spent a good deal of time on real estate sites last night. I was surprised to find the houses in southern NH are not much more expensive than those in northern NH and there are a lot more houses to choose from.
Vermass,

Check out pruvernai.com.... They sent me an email every day for the type of houses in the towns I was interested in.  Crazy... but I found my house over the internet.  Three weeks ago my wife went out and looked at it and boom! We bought it. 

vermass

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 08:15:35 pm »

What's up with Antrim NH? House prices are fair and so many of the homes have nice lots (5 or so acres). I'm serious, is there any reason to avoid this area. Rindge also seems to have the same situation going on. Good size lots fair housing prices.

EclecticBuddha

• FSP Participant
  • Carlos Baerga Is the Greatest Man Since Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:20:18 pm »

it was probably secretley annexed by NJ... just a theory.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 03:31:50 pm »

What about Meteors, Killer Bee's a new Ice Age, a hole in the Ozone over Keene, Nuclur winter and cow flatulence?
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

vermass

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 07:37:37 pm »

Wife is in love with a house in Claremont. We're going out there monday to check it out. 3800+ sq' and an in-law suite (for my parents not hers).

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 11:44:29 am »

Antrim and Ringe are beautiful little towns no reason not to live there. 8)

lloydbob1

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 03:52:21 pm »

I'm feeling better about my decision to opt for the Keene area over the Seacoast since I discovered the eastern coast of the US is under a threat of Tsunami if an island, in the Canaries, maybe the Azores, falls apart.
Phew!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up