Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Friendly news from the Free Montana Project  (Read 15139 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Friendly news from the Free Montana Project
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:42:46 am »

I have signed up on the email lists for the various Western "Free State" type groups. (Three have active lists) Although I wish these guys would join us in NH, I hope they also succeed. :)

I have been wondering if they have been successful in getting any actual movers. I got this response from a member of the Free Montana Project (started to promote MT for our state vote):
Sure, several people.  2 families within the last week or so, going to MT. We'll be packing up and heading out of MO for MT next spring, ourselves.
Probably about 10 families have moved already (unless I'm forgetting some), with quite a few others making trips to MT to look at and/or buy real estate this spring and summer.
Pretty good, I'm thinking, for the size of the organization, and the fact that it has only been around since the FSP vote.
Most are going to MT, with a few to WY.

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 6:25 am, you wrote:
> Could you post that good news on the FSP forum or could I?

Go ahead!  I only rarely check the FSP forums anymore, and don't remember what password I used to post.

That is good news to me....maybe we can have a race to freedom 8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

whiskyrebellion

Re: Friendly news from the Free Montana Project
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 04:01:28 am »

I have signed up on the email lists for the various Western "Free State" type groups. (Three have active lists) Although I wish these guys would join us in NH, I hope they also succeed. :)

I have been wondering if they have been successful in getting any actual movers. I got this response from a member of the Free Montana Project (started to promote MT for our state vote):
Sure, several people.  2 families within the last week or so, going to MT. We'll be packing up and heading out of MO for MT next spring, ourselves.
Probably about 10 families have moved already (unless I'm forgetting some), with quite a few others making trips to MT to look at and/or buy real estate this spring and summer.
Pretty good, I'm thinking, for the size of the organization, and the fact that it has only been around since the FSP vote.
Most are going to MT, with a few to WY.

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 6:25 am, you wrote:
> Could you post that good news on the FSP forum or could I?

Go ahead!  I only rarely check the FSP forums anymore, and don't remember what password I used to post.

That is good news to me....maybe we can have a race to freedom 8)

sounds like good news in Montana as well, the FSW is going pretty good in Wyoming as well.

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 10:40:37 am »

sounds like good news in Montana as well, the FSW is going pretty good in Wyoming as well.

Has anyone moved with them yet? It doesn't look clear to me.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:40:36 am »

More news
http://www.sierratimes.com/05/07/16/libertarian.htm

In summation, Libertarians moving to Montana (or the Triad) should commit themselves to:

A. Having large families (Thomas Jefferson Model) of at least five or six children via procreation, adoption, or, ideally, both.

B. Instilling and promoting libertarian values to all their children, and not wasting effort on those who will never accept libertarian philosophy.

C. Making the necessary (if needed) sacrifices in the short term to guarantee liberty in Montana (or the Triad) in two to three generations.

Very interesting.  I never thought of having a whole bunch of kids.  Somehow, I think it will be easier to just explain the small government principles to people but this still seems interesting.

whiskyrebellion

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:22:57 am »

Has anyone moved with them yet? It doesn't look clear to me.

so far there is about 400 or so members, plus quites a few hopefuls as well, we are doing pretty good and some are already moving there.

we hope to have about 1000 by the time the 2006 county elections.

with 1000 people in 1 county, the county could then be politically controlled by freedom oriented individuals, in NH you would need alot more than that just to get 1 county.

if the FSP would have taken Wyoming for its potential of becoming more free, instead of NH for its closeness to major cities, tyhose 20,000 people could politically control over half the state of Wyoming. 

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:45:23 pm »

if the FSP would have taken Wyoming for its potential of becoming more free, instead of NH for its closeness to major cities, tyhose 20,000 people could politically control over half the state of Wyoming. 

But it's ...Wyoming.... Lots of us would never have committed to Wyoming, no way no how. (see, turnabout is fair play)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 11:40:11 pm »

Come on Seth!  Wyoming is teeming with jobs!!!!!!!!!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 01:26:15 pm »

We should be friendly here!
Look at Las Vegas as an example that started with literally nothing but freedom.
8) I say that alot here.....we also have trees and water so we can beat Vegas :D

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
second free state project
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:49:18 pm »

I have posted a poll on this subject.  I have been advocating a vote on a second free state project.  To be honest, I think we will hit critical mass in NH with around 1,000 activists.  It takes far fewer than expected to turn things around.  You don't get rid of all of the bad ones in one cycle, but the slow process of otrition, combined with the efforts to educate voters and legislators helps a lot to kill bad bills.  We have had more impact than expected, because those who have moved are putting in a lot more time and effort than the average volunteer.  Many of our legislators know us on a first name basis.

The bottom line is that a thousand or so volunteers can turn a state around.  Perhaps none of the western states will ever reach this number, but if we held a vote on one of them, I am sure that I could convince more than a few of my friends to migrate there.

Perhaps we could post an impromptu poll on this forum.

--Albert "Max" Abramson
Manchester, NH

BTW, if jobs are the most important issue to you, Idaho was projected to see more job growth than the next three considered states combined.  Idaho also offered access to the Spokane area (a job hub), and offered the most moderate climate anywhere amongst the states considered--Post Falls, Idaho.  That is the area that I wanted to move to, and that's why I voted for Idaho.  I never heard a rational/factually correct reason for voting against it.  It's a nice state, and would be easier to turn around that NH is.  Maybe the MWI triad is the way to go.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 08:39:33 pm by maxxoccupancy »
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:58:53 am »

Idaho has more people than WY.
Most Mormons worship the US government.

We have already chosen NH.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 08:33:40 am »

I don't know if that is true.
They are against the Welfare system and have a system of their own.

sandm000

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 09:02:10 am »

Most polygamous mormons RIP-OFF the US government.

http://www.bettywebb-mystery.com/polygamy.html
http://www.childbrides.org/abuses_Howell_time_to_end_abuse.html

The regular kind of mormon does indeed have the ability to receive church welfare.
A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. 
-Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.-Harry Browne

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work.-Milton Friedman

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 11:57:16 am »

I don't know if that is true.
They are against the Welfare system and have a system of their own.
It is ..... they just want it to follow the Constitution.
I don't know if Bush is pushing them too far or if they are right in line with him still.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:39:29 am »

Almost everyone agrees that we should work to make the NH project work first.  After arguing that case, I had quite a few people argue with me that we should do just that.  In other words, I had people upset with me that I wanted to do the same thing that they wanted.

I still believe (though I am in the minority) that we should start the discussion on the western FSP now, rather than waiting for 20,000 volunteers coming here... that's projected to occur by 2032 at the present rate.

People make the move only after hearing about the project, and most people I've met outside of New England have never heard of the FSP when I mention it to them.  Many wanted to join the project, but lost interest when they heard that NH was chosen.  The consensus from FSP-NHites has been to take a bureaucratic approach with those who cannot or will not move to NH.  I don't believe that that is a fair attitude to take, and I don't believe that it helps the overall project to go underground--to be out of the public eye--as the FSP leadership has chosen.

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 02:51:30 am »

Max,  With members like you, who needs trolls?  :P

You asked your question, and you got your answer.  Stop antagonizing us.   Join one of the many other movements, start your own, or whatever you like, but please do it elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up