Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Liaison program  (Read 10360 times)

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Suggestions for Liaison program
« on: July 19, 2005, 08:38:40 am »

For reasons that are hard to explain, I was up late last night thinking about the FSP liaison stuff, and before I blow my top elsewhere, I figured I should post some of what I was thinking where liaisons might read it.

Once, I thought that FSP leadership should just be more effective; then I thought that local groups were the key to success.  Now, after several days of debating how and if to change fundamental elements of the project itself, I've hit upon a new emphasis that I'd like to try before abandoning our basic premises.

The thing about the FSP that makes its success possible is that it's a big tent.  For once, small government types need not be split into their discrete issue groups--we can actually have homeschoolers standing side by side with gun nuts and property rights advocates.  Fragmented and spread out, we are too small to succeed.  United and concentrated in New Hampshire, we are a formidable force.

So, that leads me to the liaisons.  Frankly, without insulting anyone's particular niche, I can only think of about six or seven liaison slots that make sense: gun rights, homeschooling, property rights, anti-tax, drug legalization, pro-business/anti-regulation, and perhaps something on getting government out of private social relations/contracts.  It seems to me that we could make progress by having, for example, a property rights liaison whose sole employ for the FSP was to find, build relationships with, and get publicity through property rights groups.  Individual issues and actions (say, New London) would spring from that, but the liaison would chiefly (and first) build the network through which individual campaigns would flow more easily. 

New London is a good example of a case that would have benefitted from having a dedicated property rights liaison already in place.  Of all people who have enough to do already, Jason ended up being the one who placed an ad in the New London paper.  It's just ridiculous that the chairman of the board has to spend his time on that.  Ideally, the property rights liaison would hear about the case (maybe even through a friendly organization), contact the FSP advertising department, and place the ad--then do follow-up with letters, press releases, etc.  It pays to have a person who concentrates on the broad issue.

Now, I don't know too much about the liaisons as they are; just that there are a lot of them and I don't hear a whole lot about what they do.  That could just as easily be because I'm not listening, but perhaps it has something to do with overfragmenting and focusing on individuals rather than on pre-existing organizations.  Having six major liaisons with big issue focus and small issue components seems more efficient.  Thoughts?
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
Re: Suggestions for Liaison program
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 04:30:07 pm »

Am I talking to myself again?
www.ronpaulhq.com

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:33:37 pm »

Am I talking to myself again?

I'm sorry, you've reached the FSP Leadership.  All leaders are currently busy with PorcFest related duties.  The next available FSP Leader will answer you as soon as possible in the order of posts when you posted it.  Please hold on, and we'll be with you shortly.

[hold music begins]

[hold music continues....]

[more hold music]

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 05:34:50 pm »

Lol, Seth, and point taken.  Still, I'd be happy to hear from Chris (whose PorcFest activities I am not aware of) and other peons like myself. ;)
www.ronpaulhq.com

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:06:02 pm »

Still, I'd be happy to hear from ... other peons like myself. ;)

Whew... For once, an *easy* job ;)

V-

P.S.  Those are important issues worth focusing on...  And yes, Seth's right.. Porc Fest is my focus right at this very second... no wait.. sleep, that's next... *Then* Porc Fest... ;)

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 05:34:31 am »

Okay, okay, I get it--leadership is busy.   ;)  And I know that liaison restructuring isn't quite as sexy a topic as obliterating the goal of 20K...  Still, in the absense of commentary from up on high, I'd be happy to hear from a) Chris Harrison and b) liaisons. 
www.ronpaulhq.com

boxwoods

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 06:25:26 am »

IMO ( drug legalization ) should be removed from your list.

In the concept of recruiting people for a greater cause. ( Getting people to move to NH, to use politics to change the State, County and Town laws, to get back the freedoms we lost.  drug legalization seems to leave me a bit uneasy. I think it shows the group/party
in a bad light. I do not believe that it should be a platform item.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 05:36:14 pm »

Kater one peon to another, believe your idea has much merit.  Hoping when the leadership has
time they will consider it.

Hey no dig intended, but I can think of not one thing the liason group has done?  Perhaps I have missed it,
but see lots of names and positions, but?

The idea of issue groups, that can seize opportunities all over the country, immediately as they happen,
will but the FSP back in the news, and will cost nothing.

My opinion great idea...hey the ball is in your court leaders :)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 05:39:02 pm by Dave Mincin »
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Friday

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 07:13:10 pm »

Hey no dig intended, but I can think of not one thing the liason group has done?  Perhaps I have missed it,
but see lots of names and positions, but?

Dave, if you check the Sign-Up Statistics thread, you'll see that Morey the Biker Liaison got at least two new members in May through his outreach targeted at bikers.   :D He had planned on having some recruiting at Laconia this summer, but partly due to my dropping the ball on that (since I knew I was moving to NH this summer, I said I'd do it, but then it snuck up on me and had come and gone before I realized it  :-[ ), that didn't happen. I know he has been seriously looking into recruiting at the huge Sturgis biker rally in South Dakota, and has been going around to biker bars in San Francisco, posting FSP stickers. 

I, for one, don't see how it would help the FSP to eliminate that liaison group.   ???  Won't express an opinion on the others, since I don't know the people involved and know better than to assume that just because *I* don't know what they're up to, they must not be doing anything.  ;)

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 07:35:02 pm »

Good point Friday...and thanks for letting me, us know that Morey is out there getting it done.  Agree that Strugis would be a great opporunity for the FSP.

Not looking to highjack this thread, but would be most interested to see what the other liasons are doing.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 09:07:58 pm »

That would hardly be hijacking, Dave.  For what it's worth, I'm not even really suggesting the elimination of current liaison positions, although some (do we really need a liaison for Canadians?) could go.  What I'm suggesting could be thought of as a shift from the emphasis on our current department structure to one that is designed around the major areas in which we hope to recruit. It would be nice if the heart and soul of the FSP were a mechanism to bring these few key issues and groups into that big pro-liberty FSP tent.
www.ronpaulhq.com

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 10:39:55 am »

Frankly, without insulting anyone's particular niche, I can only think of about six or seven liaison slots that make sense
Since I am one of the few organizers not at PorcFest, and since I am the creator of the Liaison program, I'll take a shot at this.  There is a Ghanaian saying that "The tortoise knows how to make love to his wife," which means that you shouldn't lose too much sleep over other people's problems; having a direct interest, they will find solutions.  This is the sort of saying that libertarians can use on statists on both the left and right.  In the given case, why worry about what liaisons should *not* exist?  The point of the Liaison program is for a member of Group X, someone who knows their concerns, lingo, periodicals, and hangouts, to mine them for recruits.  Whether or not a particular community is worth it is up to the liaison and Chris.  Maybe the Amish would be a good source of participants, but how would I know?  One dedicated, energetic Amish liaison could be worth more than an apathetic Property Rights liaison.  And it is well known that many computer-types are "techno-libertarians" as one infamous book put it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1586480383/
If anyone is going to recruit among techno-libertarians (good candidates, because they can telecommute and find work near Boston), they had better speak geek.

But you are very right about the need to measure results, but this applies to all areas, not just the Liaisons.  By the way, I know that there are many FSP participants and forum denizens who would disagree with one of your groups: drug legalizers.

Another goal of the Liaisons program is *decentralization*.  This was an easy way to add a new organizational dimension and involve more people, same as the local groups does by territory.  Decentralization has been one of my biggest priorities from the beginning.  I still think of the FSP as being like Linux, but we haven't provided the infrastructure necessary for supporting distributed action.  Yet another benefit of the Liaison program is that it suggests that the FSP is inclusive:
http://www.freestateproject.org/getinvolved/liaisons/
No one could suggest that we are not trying to recruit blacks!

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.  That many liaisons produce no results does not necessarily mean that the program is ill conceived; I would tend to suspect the common "vanishing volunteer" disease.  Richard Boddie, my successor as the black liaison, was useful in attracting black participants (e.g. Estelle, the current liaison).  He is a regular at the Black_Libertarians yahoo group, which suggests a good test: if a community has a libertarian discussion forum somewhere, it is probabaly a good candidate for a Liaison.

You are very right about the Property Rights liaison.  There should be liaisons to communities and organizations concerned about several such abstract issues, including Jury Nullification and even Civil Disobedience.  But there is no need to limit the number of liaisons, unless one is costing more in overhead than he is producing.  The bigger problem that you have touched on is the lack of manpower, and rather than beat that drum again let me just say that the Volunteer Coordinator position is one of the vacancies.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 10:58:09 am by Steve »

furb

My Suggestion: Single Adults
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 07:13:02 pm »

Has it ever ocurred to anyone that there are a LOT of lonely guys in the FSP?  Since I am a male, and associate mostly with males with in this movement, I think it would be great to have a singles scene, which I would love to head up.  I don't know of any lonely fsp participants that are female, but I know of quite a number of males.  This goes along with my moniker "If you can't recruit, you must breed."

What do you all think of this idea?

freedomroad

Re: My Suggestion: Single Adults
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:05 pm »

Has it ever ocurred to anyone that there are a LOT of lonely guys in the FSP?  Since I am a male, and associate mostly with males with in this movement, I think it would be great to have a singles scene, which I would love to head up.  I don't know of any lonely fsp participants that are female, but I know of quite a number of males.  This goes along with my moniker "If you can't recruit, you must breed."

If you are in your 20s or 30s and move to the Nashua/Manchester/Concord area, there is already something decent set-up.  It was set-up by FSP members (but is mostly used by non-FSP members and fun for anyone) and involves fun activities like simple sports and going to bars/night clubs.

http://www.nhssc.com/

Klaus

• FSP Participant
  • (The Swiss) are most armed and most free.
Re: My Suggestion: Single Adults
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 10:51:34 pm »

I think it is a good idea for a liaison group (http://freestateproject.org/liaisons/) and suggest you put together an action plan (yeah I know, but I mean a plan for how this group will help the FSP reach its goals - yeah well you know what I mean damnit!); and then contact Wade Bartlett and have him put you on the list.  Suggest starting a yahoo group or other web presence to get interest going.  Suggest your interest group sponsor an event or activity at the NHLF and PorcFest.  You probably have other ideas - I mean, other ideas for your group also!  ;D

Good luck and please let Wade or I know if questions.

Nik
All the armies in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come.
- Victor Hugo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything