Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very interesting, perhaps two more on the way?  (Read 2163 times)

NthBoundPachyderm

Very interesting, perhaps two more on the way?
« on: July 02, 2005, 11:24:30 pm »

Very interesting. I guess I am somewhere on the 70% range. I have thought about it and it's unlikely I'd ever find a political party that I am 100% in agreement with. But, of the two major political parties for me to consider, I am more like 20% in agreement with aspects of either (hmm, that leaves about 10% for my own private party, woohoo!). I feel very dismayed at how both major parties act in self preservation and generally to further their own powers and agendas. In my view, they just have different hot buttons they do that around.

We have been aware of the FSP for some time, and both fiance and I voted for Baddy whose results were not even worth a media footnote here in Kerry's homeland. Fiance and I have also started considering a move farther north to occur in the next two years (we are a mere 8 miles from the NH border as the crow flies, but where we move to will be purely on what we can find/afford; we've been considering VT, ME, or NH) as I have designs on a new phase of my life as a small agribusiness owner. We both love New England and moving out of the area has never really been entertained. Fiance is originally a New Hampshirite and still visits his large extended family regularly, almost all of whom are also NHer's...  a move, such that it is, would be very within our grasp. Maybe in time, we'd gain some mindshare in his family, too.

So FreeStaters, it may be that two more are joining.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re: Very interesting, perhaps two more on the way?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:16:04 am »

You don't need to agree with any percentage of what anyone here professes to stand for in order to join.  You just need to be able to agree with the Statement of Intent.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 01:43:59 am »

Welcome!

Just FWIW, Mary is a huge elephant fan.  :)

Even within our marriage, we sometimes disagree about how much freedom is enough. But we never fight over the one essential point: we want more. I believe our movement has room for people who disagree about some of the fine points, so long as they agree that we need to reclaim local authority over state, and state authority over federal. There's room for you here, no matter how you compute your percentage.

Kevin

Old Nick

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 04:49:32 am »

Welcome. You've made the right choice.

I echo the sentiments of the previous two, I assure you, but I'm curious about the 30% that you think you disagree with. Care to divulge?
God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East."
-- George W. Bush to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, July 2003

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 02:51:13 pm »

See you in NH.... Hell 8 miles... and think of the lower taxes!

j_freeman

• FSP Participant
  • Disagreeably Disagreeable
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 06:43:45 pm »

Hello, NthBoundPachyderm! Basically, if you want more freedom (and won't work toward less freedom on issues you think we need less freedom on) then you're very welcomed to join aboard. And I'm with Dreepa: only 8 miles? Shall we come and drag you and your fiance across the state line? :D Hehe.
Prohibition worked in the '20s, too.

NthBoundPachyderm

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 08:07:40 pm »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate these comments - it does make me feel better that there is room for discussion as a Libertarian. I definitely do want to see all levels of government reduced - it's  gotten well beyond what is necessary, and in most cases private individuals or companies can do it better than the government would, with the exception of companies that rely upon the government for their gruel. They really have no incentive to do it better. Once they get a government job, it's nearly as good as a blank check because the government HATES to say it had -a stupid idea -didn't supervise well enough -is stuck with something useless (see points 1 & 2).  I don't think a zero sum is possible, but reducing our bloat sounds good to me. It's not downsizing, it's right sizing ;).

To answer Morpheus's question, the thing I have the hardest time believing is that a free market society will protect the environment and provide me places to enjoy the outdoors. I see this is being talked about in another current thread. The notion of protecting the environment was probably an anathema to the founders, because they saw a bountiful world that would never have too many people, smoke spitting machines, etc. In fact they saw the natural environment as something to be conquered... They did not forsee the impacts of the industrial revolution and a world where it essentially has been conquered.

That said I think the government has been a HORRIBLE steward of public lands, but I don't see the park service as having much to do with this. The idea of some company running the parks instead seems a little odd to me. Maybe I'm afraid that not enough other people value this the way I do... or the ones that do don't have enough wherewithal financially. Most people and companies are not concerned with anything other the here and now, and making a buck. Sure, if I'm taxed less due to reduced government I can give more to groups that buy land up for preservation, which I would gladly do, but what if there aren't enough others like me?  Tough cookies for me?

On the flip side, maybe it would work better than what I can imagine.

There are a few other points but that's a big enough one to tackle there.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 12:12:29 am »

Yeah I agree... the environment I think is a tough issue for Libertarians.  However if the land were kept by a 'neutral' non profit I think I could be cool with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up