Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone from AR, MO, OK, TN, or KS already living in NH?  (Read 7313 times)

St.Jayne

Anyone from AR, MO, OK, TN, or KS already living in NH?
« on: July 01, 2005, 09:13:32 am »

The reason that I ask is because I live in Northern Arkansas and would like to know what you think about the move. Was there "culture shock"? "sticker shock"? "snow shock"? I mean part of the reason we started thinking about moving is that each year it seems to get warmer here. The winters don't seem to have a many snows (we really like snow... but have never seen more than two or three feet of it). And many of the creeks seem to be drying up. The weather just isn't the same as it was say 20 years ago. So that is why we started thinking about moving. We first thought of Alaska, but housing/work made us re-think that. Then I found this site and it opened my eyes to new possibilities. :o So I was wondering if anyone was already "up there" who came from "down here". What they thought about the move, and maybe things I haven't thought of yet. Anyhow thanks for listening.  :)

Greg B.

Re: Anyone from AR, MO, OK, TN, or KS already living in NH?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 01:19:35 pm »

St. Jayne,

Although I do not live in New Hampshire yet, I did attend the PorcFest last year.  I currently live in East Tennessee, but have also lived in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Denver, Chicago, and Los Angeles in my life.  So, I think I was able to size New Hampshire up pretty well while I was there.

As you mentioned, it is definitely colder there.  Of course, how cold depends on where in New Hampshire you live.  But in my mind, I think when some people complain about the cold weather there, they forget how much your body adjusts once you've been in a certain place for a while.  While I was living in Chicago, 50 degrees in March felt like 80 degrees!  The bottom line is that you get used to the cold weather.

New Hampshire is similar to East Tennessee in that it is very beautiful.  The mountains on the way up to northern New Hampshire are gorgeous.  The area along the coast around Portsmouth is also very pretty.  Also, since the biggest city is only a little above 100,000 people, there aren't a lot of factories with pollution, etc. 

One obvious difference is that people talk a lot differently in New Hampshire.  To someone who speaks with a standard midwestern accent, the New England accent will stand out as much as a southern accent does.

Also, I think one difference that may stand out to you is the cost of real estate.  When you compare it to most of the south, it is a notch or two higher (particularly the further south you go in the state).

I found the people in New Hampshire to be very nice, but it seems to take them a lot longer to warm up to strangers.  In the south, sometimes complete strangers will talk to you as if you have known them all of your life.  My sense was that people in New Hampshire are just as nice, but they will be much more reserved up front.

I definitely feel you have to live in a place a while before truly understanding it, but these were my initial impressions.

I hope this helps.

Greg

j_freeman

• FSP Participant
  • Disagreeably Disagreeable
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 06:48:52 pm »

You live in Arkansas, St. Jayne? So do I... I'm in Conway, but I plan to move to NH within 5 or so years independent of whether we reach 20,000.

Sorry I can't answer your questions as I've never been to New Hampshire, or any of the New England states for that matter. But from what I've read in my research, it seems like the perfect place for me. (Besides, if I can get away from this ridiculous heat I'll be happy! ;D)
Prohibition worked in the '20s, too.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:32:12 pm »

You live in Arkansas, St. Jayne? So do I... I'm in Conway, but I plan to move to NH within 5 or so years independent of whether we reach 20,000.

Sorry I can't answer your questions as I've never been to New Hampshire, or any of the New England states for that matter. But from what I've read in my research, it seems like the perfect place for me. (Besides, if I can get away from this ridiculous heat I'll be happy! ;D)

You can even avoid having to learn a new name for your town, as NH has their own Conway.

I just drove through there, today... :)

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 01:04:50 am »

So many Arkies...  ;D ;D ;D

We've got a stuffed Razorback on the dash of our "Hawg red" van. I need to pick up a stuffed porcupine to keep him company.  :)

Maybe this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006OGHVG/qid=1120457124/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-5029358-4150534

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 01:06:31 am by KBCraig »

libertyworker

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 06:57:26 pm »

The reason that I ask is because I live in Northern Arkansas and would like to know what you think about the move. Was there "culture shock"? "sticker shock"? "snow shock"? I mean part of the reason we started thinking about moving is that each year it seems to get warmer here. The winters don't seem to have a many snows (we really like snow... but have never seen more than two or three feet of it). And many of the creeks seem to be drying up. The weather just isn't the same as it was say 20 years ago. So that is why we started thinking about moving. We first thought of Alaska, but housing/work made us re-think that. Then I found this site and it opened my eyes to new possibilities. :o So I was wondering if anyone was already "up there" who came from "down here". What they thought about the move, and maybe things I haven't thought of yet. Anyhow thanks for listening.  :)
                                                                                                                                                                            You know that is a very good reasons for the question. Can you get a meat and three with cornbread and sweet ice tea, have the three be pintos or blackeyed peas with a big chunk of ham in them, collard or turnip greens, some lousiana hot sause to put on the greens and okra with sweet potatos on the side for desert? Can you get biscuts and gravy for breakfast?

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:34 am »

good reasons for the question. Can you get a meat and three with cornbread and sweet ice tea, have the three be pintos or blackeyed peas with a big chunk of ham in them, collard or turnip greens, some lousiana hot sause to put on the greens and okra with sweet potatos on the side for desert? Can you get biscuts and gravy for breakfast?

Give me sausage and flour, and we're gonna have some biscuits & gravy!

Here's my main culinary concern: given our proximity to the coast, can we get a mess of li'l-bitty lobsters, and have a faux-"crawfish" boil? I'm thinking teensy lobsters would equal big "thumb tail" crawfish.

Seriously, America is becoming very homogenized in many regards. Those last pockets of regionalism are to be cherished. I don't plan to blow in screaming "Arkansas/Texas!"; I hope to "blend" to the extent that our accents allow. Sure, I'll fire up the smoker and invite the neighbors over for brisket or ribs. It's all about making new friends and new allies, and making it "even more like New Hampshire should be".

Kevin

libertyworker

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 12:04:16 pm »

good reasons for the question. Can you get a meat and three with cornbread and sweet ice tea, have the three be pintos or blackeyed peas with a big chunk of ham in them, collard or turnip greens, some lousiana hot sause to put on the greens and okra with sweet potatos on the side for desert? Can you get biscuts and gravy for breakfast?

Give me sausage and flour, and we're gonna have some biscuits & gravy!

Here's my main culinary concern: given our proximity to the coast, can we get a mess of li'l-bitty lobsters, and have a faux-"crawfish" boil? I'm thinking teensy lobsters would equal big "thumb tail" crawfish.

Seriously, America is becoming very homogenized in many regards. Those last pockets of regionalism are to be cherished. I don't plan to blow in screaming "Arkansas/Texas!"; I hope to "blend" to the extent that our accents allow. Sure, I'll fire up the smoker and invite the neighbors over for brisket or ribs. It's all about making new friends and new allies, and making it "even more like New Hampshire should be".

Kevin

Yeah now you are talking, there is nothing like some good ole Cajun and Creole  cooking with Texas/ Arkansas BBQ, maybe with a little North Carolina East Coast BBQ, and some South Carolina Low Country thrown in.

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 12:22:22 pm »

I am told that teensy lobsters are not legal for the eating.  It's been my experience that you don't bother with crawfish outside of crawfish country.  It's never the same.  They have native crustaceans that are quite tasty though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:12:37 am by Roycerson »
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

Jennie89

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 12:06:56 pm »

::waving to Arkansian St. Jayne::

My family is native east middle TN. (Yes, I know that east middle tn sounds weird to out of staters).  Here's the differences/similarities so far as I can tell. I don't live in NH yet, but here's the differences as I percieve them....

1. Weather. Snow is all over the place from Fall to Spring.
2. MUCH more socially conservative in TN. NH tends to be pro-choice (instead of TN pro-life), pro-full info sex ed (instead of TN pro-abstinance only sex ed for kids), and there's almost no women in NH that are in TN/Arkansas "biblical submission" style marriages requiring obedience like Southern Baptists.
3. Shared philosophies re: guns.
4. Shared philosophies re: small government.
5. Vastly differently education levels. The schools in TN are dismal in comparison. Much better education in NH.
6. The food in TN is waaaaaaay better.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 12:28:47 pm »

1. Weather. Snow is all over the place from Fall to Spring.

Snow?  In the spring?

We didn't have snow this spring...

We had torrential rains instead! :)

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

mikefam

• Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 10:00:52 pm »

and the snow didnt stick till december
and the food would'nt suck so bad if some of those southerners would get up here and open a reasturant maybe?!?!!!!!!!!   ;D

Jennie89

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 08:23:37 am »

*chuckle* I'm basing my snow on the fact that when I was in Worcester, MA, south of NH, there was snow on the ground on April Fool's Day. And I remember snow as early as Thanksgiving. So that's where my "Nov-April" came from.

mikefam Hmmm...a restaurant. Now that's an idea. Do Porpupines like barbeque, buttered mashed potatos and chicken fried steak? Do Porcupines know what grits are? :)

The biggest culture change, for me personally, (and this is throughout New England, not just NH) is the women. There are so many women in east middle tennessee who have a philosophy that hubbies should take care of wives, wives should stay home, and women shouldn't worry about "gettin' learnin'" etc. etc. It's very typical. But there's almost no women like that in New England that I've met.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 01:41:57 pm by Jennie89 »

mikefam

• Live free or Die:death is not the worst of evils
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 02:37:58 pm »

What the heck is chicken fried steak anyway, is it some genetic experiment gone bad?

I think its kinda nice i don't have to take care of my woman and she an Handle her self in her daily affairs, the gals up here are very self empowered. but as a Man's Man i do have to say that the traditional feminine drive to "take care of her man" has pretty much disappeared   :'(

Jennie89

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 03:07:34 pm »

http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa980222.htm

it's beef prepared the same way you'd prepare fried chicken. Once I drive north of West Virginia, I can't find it in restaurants.

And ummm...as for "taking care of your man" well, a woman who is treated equally and fairly can ummm...be very good at taking care of a guy's ...ummm....interests. TN feminists are ummm...good at that.

/in New England already
//more than halfway to NH
///does note that feminist women up here seem so serious. I like that. But there's ummm..room for fun too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up