Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you going to do after you move??  (Read 5606 times)

rodschmidt

Re: What are you going to do after you move??
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 06:19:16 pm »

Try to get a Greyhound ticket without showing ID, and then sue them because they're a "common carrier" which means they have an obligation to sell a ticket to anybody who shows up and can pay.

Google "John Gilmore"

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 07:43:46 am »

Try to get a Greyhound ticket without showing ID, and then sue them because they're a "common carrier" which means they have an obligation to sell a ticket to anybody who shows up and can pay.

Your kidding .... right?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

rodschmidt

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 04:13:57 am »

Your kidding .... right?

No, I'm not kidding at all.  John Gilmore (employee #5 at Sun) is currently suing the Transportation Security Agency, et al. over this--in the context of plane flights, not buses.  I think there's a stronger case with buses.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05058/462446.stm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 04:17:02 am by rodschmidt »

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 08:29:31 am »

Your kidding .... right?

No, I'm not kidding at all.  John Gilmore (employee #5 at Sun) is currently suing the Transportation Security Agency, et al. over this--in the context of plane flights, not buses.  I think there's a stronger case with buses.

That would be a terrible mistake and a horrible lawsuit to create.   :-\

Greyhound is not run by the government.  They have the right to require you to do whatever they want in order to ride on a Greyhound bus.  Imagine if you owned the company.  Would you want to be sued by some guy who just didn't like your security policies and wanted to use the force of government to get those policies changed?

If they require ID and you don't like it, then boycott them.   ;)
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 10:30:08 am »

Your kidding .... right?

That would be a terrible mistake and a horrible lawsuit to create.   :-\

Greyhound is not run by the government.  They have the right to require you to do whatever they want in order to ride on a Greyhound bus.  Imagine if you owned the company.  Would you want to be sued by some guy who just didn't like your security policies and wanted to use the force of government to get those policies changed?

If they require ID and you don't like it, then boycott them.   ;)

The government created the notion of "common carriers", a classification that thwarts free competition and is heavily regulated. By accepting that status, common carriers agree to carry anyone (or any packages) without discrimination (subject to their approved tariffs and schedules).

I agree that it's incompatible with freedom to force businesses to accept customers. When it comes to travel, it's the government getting in the way, not the businesses.

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up